Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance vs. Non-Performance & an extra $10K

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
my two cents:

my first test drive was in a Performance. i don't know if i was overwhelmed by the whole circus that was the Get Amped event in Gaithersburg, MD, or because we were sitting in traffic the whole time, but i wasn't WOWED by the power of the car. it was definitely fast, but for whatever reason, it didn't seem like a 4.4 0-60 car.

my second test drive was in an 85kWh. again, probably due to the circumstances (non-circus environment, no traffic, longer test drive), but i was blown AWAY with the power and acceleration!

probably a mental thing. i'm sure if i went back and drove a Performance model in similar circumstances, it would leave me speechless. but the point is... the 85kWh put a huge grin on my face and i was amazed at how fast the acceleration was, even at high freeway speeds (60-80mph).

both cars felt very smooth on the choppy roads, so i didn't detect any positive or negative to either the 19 or 21" wheels in terms of comfort or performance.

my opinion: if you have ANY financial concerns about affording this car, then you should absolutely positively get the 85kWh. the P85 is solely for bragging rights... to be able to say you have a super-car on par with the fastest sedans and sports cars out of Germany. nobody "needs" that level of speed and power, especially when you can get 90% of it with the 85kWh option.

however, if money is not a concern, then go ahead and get the Performance model. That's what I'm doing. But i'm self-aware enough to realize it's nothing more than an ego tax. :redface:

Thanks, that helps, I'm 90% decided on getting the standard 85, again, I wish the CF interior was available as an option since I don't like wood inside a car, and the piano black would show too many finger prints.

Do we know what the acceleration times are for the S85 vs. P85? I know the 0-60 has been published, but I'd be very interested in the 0-30, 0-40 etc.

After nearly 2 weeks of driving a non-Performance Model S, I can't imagine needing more performance than I have now. This thing isn't lacking for power. It jumps off the line and zips in and out of traffic effortlessly.

Precisely. I've had mine (Sig #187, 19" wheels) for a month and couldn't be happier. The Performance model is a nice-to-have, not a must-have, at least by my standards. Some people wouldn't think of missing out on the Performance package, others will be very happy with the standard. I could have managed either, financially, but in the end I opted for the practicality of 19" wheels and tires that won't have to be replaced every 5 or 6 thousand miles. The acceleration is way, way more than good enough.

Having just re-read this ENTIRE thread, I have to throw one more question out there: given that this is a rear wheel drive car, are those of us who live in bad-winter country going to have to swap to winter tires anyway? In which case, yes, there's still the extra $8-$15k for the P85 (depending on what options you'd pay for with the non-performance version), but gone is the issue of incremental cost of winter tires and the hassle of having to swap them in/out 2x per year and store the other set. (Still the cost of an extra set of rims, though, most likely)

I'm in the company of those in the thread where the extra $ won't change my quality of life or projected retirement date but also, until this car, had told my wife "don't ever let me spend more than $50k on a car". I also recognize that there really is no "need" for the added performance, it's just for kicks/feel goods.

I think the extra set of wheels/tires may be my biggest roadblock to doing the P85--but if that issue is largely moot. . .

Any thoughts on needing to swap out the tires anyway? Thanks in advance.

Having just re-read this ENTIRE thread, I have to throw one more question out there: given that this is a rear wheel drive car, are those of us who live in bad-winter country going to have to swap to winter tires anyway?

Well, I can say for certainty that no Model S owner in Norway is going to drive the whole year on one set of tires, be them 21" summer performance or 19" all-seasons. We ALL switch tires, or let the cars stay in the garage most of the winter. Driving on snow or ice with anything but real winter tires is just too dangerous. And if you did and got in an accident you'd be in a lot of trouble with the police too as we are required by law to use the proper tires for the conditions.

So I'm getting the grey 21" wheels for summer and the 19" wheels with Hakkapeliitta R tires for winter. The only incremental cost is the 19" rims as the tire wear will now be spread between two pairs which should then last twice as long each.

Thanks for the repies. @dsm363--I agree switching out the 21" wheels in winter is an absolute must. My question, and sorry if I wasn't clear, was whether we also will have to switch out the 19" all season tires anyway since it's rwd. Then you're swapping 2x per year regardless of whether you get the performance version or not. Clearly they do in Norway (jkirkebo), but I'm not as sure in New England since I've always had fwd or awd with my all season tires.

Thanks for the repies. @dsm363--I agree switching out the 21" wheels in winter is an absolute must. My question, and sorry if I wasn't clear, was whether we also will have to switch out the 19" all season tires anyway since it's rwd. Then you're swapping 2x per year regardless of whether you get the performance version or not. Clearly they do in Norway (jkirkebo), but I'm not as sure in New England since I've always had fwd or awd with my all season tires.

I'm one of the many people who would drive on all season tires year around even in the midwest but the more I read about it, the better it probably is to have dedicated winter wheels if you live anywhere with significant snow/ice. I can drive on performance tires all year in Texas but if I move to someplace with now, I'll be getting 19" winter wheels as well.

You probably can get by with all season tires if they come with your car but if you get the 21" wheels then you'll need 19" rims anyway so might as well get winter tires when you switch over.

For non-winter driving (I live in Florida), what is the expected life on the all-seasons that come with the 19" wheels and how many miles is expected of the 21" performance tires? Also would the Michelin SP2's that will come with the super sport handling package have the same mileage rating as the current performance tires?

Is it possible to get winter tires for the 21" wheels?

For non-winter driving (I live in Florida), what is the expected life on the all-seasons that come with the 19" wheels and how many miles is expected of the 21" performance tires? Also would the Michelin SP2's that will come with the super sport handling package have the same mileage rating as the current performance tires?

All these items can be found on the tire manufacturers' sites.

Is it possible to get winter tires for the 21" wheels?

Not from a first tier tire manufacturer at this time. However, even if it were, you probably wouldn't want to anyway:

1. The 21" tires are your "show" wheels and running them through the winter with it's snow, slush, gravel, and salt, would make them not-like-new anymore. Use the 19" wheels for that.

2. A 21" tire is a poor place to start for winter tires. Even though the nominal section width is the same for both sizes, the tread width is not. Wider tires equals less forward and reverse traction. You really want as narrow a tire as you can get for winter driving. Also the more sidewall height there is the more the tire will conform to irregular surfaces (such as the transition between pavement and packed snow).

So for winter use you want a) the narrowest tread width, b) the smallest rim diameter, and c) the largest aspect ratio that is possible for your car. In the Model S this means the 19" tires.

New bulletin post

The Performance Package was priced assuming a 19" wheel. Here is how we arrived at Performance pricing:

Base 85 kWh Model S $77,400
Performance Drive Unit $10,000
Upgraded Interior and Treatments $3,500
Active Air Suspension $1,500
Total $92,400
The $10,000 Performance Drive unit includes upgraded drive components, hardware and software.

The $3,500 Upgraded Interior includes all items in the $1,500 Nappa Leather Interior package, plus an Alcantara headliner ($1,900 on a Porsche Panamera), additional leather treatments and Alcantara seat bolsters ($600), Carbon Fiber décor option ($500 on Audi S7), and contrast color piping on seats ($200). This package rolls up to between $4,200 and $4,700 (depending upon if you choose the Carbon Fiber Décor on not), but was included in the Performance Package at $3,500.

The $92,400 price assumed a 19" wheel. However, we wanted our very early reservation holders to have the option to choose their favorite wheel as part of the Performance Package at no additional cost.

Have a question?
Send us your question or comment using the form on the right. We will post answers to common questions on this forum. If your question is about your specific reservation, please contact the Ownership Experience Team at (877) 798-3752 or email [email protected].

Certain statements in this forum, including statements regarding the characteristics and performance of Model S, future store openings and information regarding Model S handling, efficiency and safety, are "forward-looking statements" that are subject to risks and uncertainties. These forward-looking statements are based on management's current expectations. Various important factors could cause actual results to differ materially, including the risks identified in our SEC filings. Tesla disclaims any obligation to update this information.