Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance vs. Non-Performance & an extra $10K

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drove the standard S and rode in a Performance S at one of the Get Amped events. I own a Roadster. I love the straight-line acceleration of the Roadster, but I dislike buying expensive rear tires every 5000 miles. The standard S is plenty fast, so that's what I'm getting. YMMV :cool:

BTW, my Sig Red S#187 arrives this weekend....

I just made the same decision yesterday. I live in the Northeast, so there was a full 15K difference between the fully loaded P85 and the Standard 85kWh, if you included the $2300 for the spare set of 19" all-season wheels and tires, and the sales tax impacts. Having driven both Standard and Performance, and loving them both (especially the CF trim and the leather piping on the Perf), I just couldn't justify the extra 15K on what was already a 100K car (with taxes and delivery/prep). The Standard is faster than my Boxster, and that rarely leaves me wanting more speed.

And sadly, I would have been able to spring for the Perf if not for the extra wheels, and the lack of any credit for downgrading a Perf to 19" wheels. A $2900 credit there (=5200-2300) would have meant a $5500 reduction in total cost, with taxes included.

If you already have a Roadster then there is no need for the Perf_S. Having the Non_Perf justifies retaining the Roadster. Allows loading up the S with the trappings of convenience like spare tire and usable snow tires (17in). Living in the Outback the S is now your range vehicle, so you will want to drive it 'range style' in order to get anywhere. Even better in Range Mode, where your max power will be further reduced.

Energy required to accellerate mass x from 0-30mph should equal energy >>> 30-60mph. The system does not care what the initial velocity is in either case, only that the mass needs to be accellerated an additional 30mph in a particular direction. Thus, all other things being equal, the Perf_S should do the deed quicker than the Non-Perf. And since air resistance is greater 30-60mph, even more reason.
--

Living in the Outback the S is now your range vehicle

I have this mental picture of someone standing up through the open sunroof roping cattle. Sure hope they fix the high setting on the suspension so it stays high when this is attempted. (One owner said that it goes out of high at about 18 mph)

I just made the same decision yesterday. I live in the Northeast, so there was a full 15K difference between the fully loaded P85 and the Standard 85kWh, if you included the $2300 for the spare set of 19" all-season wheels and tires, and the sales tax impacts. Having driven both Standard and Performance, and loving them both (especially the CF trim and the leather piping on the Perf), I just couldn't justify the extra 15K on what was already a 100K car (with taxes and delivery/prep). The Standard is faster than my Boxster, and that rarely leaves me wanting more speed.

And sadly, I would have been able to spring for the Perf if not for the extra wheels, and the lack of any credit for downgrading a Perf to 19" wheels. A $2900 credit there (=5200-2300) would have meant a $5500 reduction in total cost, with taxes included.

I had a chance to drive my standard S#187 last evening for about an hour on city streets, and a little on the highway: what a car! It's roomy, quiet and comfortable, with secure handling and way fun to drive. And the tech package/touchscreen/sound system are all stunning. But I think the 19" wheels with all-season tires don't quite have the grip to absorb all the available thrust and deliver it to the road: a couple of times I fed in full throttle slowly from a standing start and felt the TC kick in. It's still way more acceleration than you need for all practical purposes, but the sense I had of the tires slipping makes me a little uneasy. Not in the sense that there's a loss of control (there's not: the TC works just fine), but that Tesla would sell a wheel/tire combination that can't take full advantage of the torque available. To be fair, it had rained earlier and the pavement may have been slightly damp. I'll report back if things seem better after the sun's been out for a while and the pavement is bone dry.

Last edited:
Because that's how they started out advertising this thing- $49k (after tax incentive). Hooked us all. I wouldn't have looked twice if they started out talking $80k+. Now I'm toying with $89K vs $100K. How did I get here. Who doped my drink?!

Hi,

I am new to this site and I am also debating between the performance vs. standard. The posts are really helping. Many thanks. I have to make a final decision in the next week or so. P5801.

I drove the perf model and it was like taking a hit of crack ..... changed my reservation the moment I got out of the car.

SO ... if you are on the fence. 1. Dont drive the perf model. 2. Dont drive the perf model and 3. DO NOT DRIVE THE PERF MODEL.

Same advice for the Model S. If you don't want to buy it, don't drive it:smile:

I drove the perf model and it was like taking a hit of crack ..... changed my reservation the moment I got out of the car.

SO ... if you are on the fence. 1. Dont drive the perf model. 2. Dont drive the perf model and 3. DO NOT DRIVE THE PERF MODEL.

Hi,

I drove the non-performance in the get amped tour. I got the "It is time to build your Model S email" last week and visited my nearby Tesla Store out here in the midwest which I had not been to in a month or two. They had cars to test drive. I drove the performance. I never ever thought I would willing pay 85K for a car or contemplate having a car that needed "summer performance tires". I climbed out of the car after the test drive with a stupid silly grin on my face. I think I just fell in love with a car. It is awsome.

Jess

- - - Updated - - -

I am on the fence because it is a lot to pay for car. I can afford it, but I don't normally purchase very expensive blindingly fast cars.

Jess

Same advice for the Model S. If you don't want to buy it, don't drive it:smile:

Hi,

I drove the non-performance in the get amped tour. I got the "It is time to build your Model S email" last week and visited my nearby Tesla Store out here in the midwest which I had not been to in a month or two. They had cars to test drive. I drove the performance. I never ever thought I would willing pay 85K for a car or contemplate having a car that needed "summer performance tires". I climbed out of the car after the test drive with a stupid silly grin on my face. I think I just fell in love with a car. It is awsome.

Jess

Well I am getting worried about my test drive now. I'll be driving a Performance Model S :scared: and it seems that USAA is willing to loan me way too much money. :biggrin:

I'm quite the opposite of alot of people here. I test drove the standard S at the first Get Amped event, but chose to config a performance anyway because I really wanted the carbon fiber interior. After testing out the performance car in August, I'm very glad I liked the CF :)

I'm quite the opposite of alot of people here. I test drove the standard S at the first Get Amped event, but chose to config a performance anyway because I really wanted the carbon fiber interior. After testing out the performance car in August, I'm very glad I liked the CF :)

I haven't driven any of them, but also choose the performance partly because the CF is the one interior I really like and the dark wheels also look fantastic on a blue car. My first drive in the P85 will probably be at my delivery ;)