Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance vs. Performance Upgrade - Confused

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
GM went from 18/19’s on the base C7 Corvettes to 19/20’s on the Z51 package cars without increasing widths, why do you think that would be?

Because not everyone can afford the higher end C7 Vettes (Z06/GS/ZR1) which do come with wider wheels? :)

Wonder why they put WIDER wheels on the HIGHEST PERFORMANCE versions?

The new C8 Vette is attracting totally new buyers into the VETTE
Looks amazing many Fcar and Lambo owners adding them to their stable
should be on the roads in the next few months

Absolutely, the C8 is a marvel of ICE engineering (and suspension wizardry for getting that much power down with only a 2WD vehicle- though I'll be very curious to see how the higher performance (above Z51) trims do with that)

I stopped by the local Tesla store today to ask why they no longer offer the Stealth cars for a modestly higher price than the AWD models. The two reps I spoke to had no idea.

I also asked them for some information on Powerwalls, solar panels, and solar roof tiles. They had no idea about that stuff either. Then I asked them how much higher the Model Y sits compared to the Model 3. No idea.

Then I wondered why Tesla has stores.

Last edited:
Reactions: MattUNI and alexucf
Because not everyone can afford the higher end C7 Vettes (Z06/GS/ZR1) which do come with wider wheels? :)

Wonder why they put WIDER wheels on the HIGHEST PERFORMANCE versions?

Absolutely, the C8 is a marvel of ICE engineering (and suspension wizardry for getting that much power down with only a 2WD vehicle- though I'll be very curious to see how the higher performance (above Z51) trims do with that)

So the wheel diameter increase from base to Z51 was only because people can’t afford a higher model? Got it.

For what it’s worth I would love a Widebody Performance since I use my car for competition... which would just lead to people crying that tires are expensive and wanting a stealth stealth car because they can’t buy wheels at Pepboys

Last edited:
I stopped by the local Tesla store today to ask why they no longer offer the Stealth cars for a modestly higher price than the AWD models. The two reps I spoke to had no idea.

I also asked them for some information on Powerwalls, solar panels, and solar roof tiles. They had no idea about that stuff either. Then I asked them how much higher the Model Y sits compared to the Model 3. No idea.

Then I wondered why Tesla has stores.

Far as I can tell basically 2 reasons:

Old people who find websites confusing to order a car on.

Test drives.

That's about it- as they're useless for anything else.

To be fair- Tesla is not unique in that I've virtually never found ANY brand of car showroom where the "dealer" wasn't fairly clueless about the product and more likely to give you wrong info than anything useful.

When I special ordered my Lexus back in 2007 for example the dealer assured me the config I wanted wasn't even offered.. I told him to humor me and put it into the order system anyway...he was shocked it accepted it no problem.

Likewise when I test drove a model 3 the guy gave me half a dozen answers I knew were fundamentally wrong but I was just there for the test drive so largely ignored his ignorance.

Does anyone know if the $2K acceleration boost option is still available for (new) AWD vehicles now that the Performance w/out PUP seems to have replaced the ‘stealth’ configuration?

The Acceleration Boost option was never available for the Performance whether it's the Stealth or Performance w/out PUP, since they're both the same thing.

The Acceleration Boost option was never available for the Performance whether it's the Stealth or Performance w/out PUP, since they're both the same thing.

I don't think that's what he is asking. He's asking if the 2k acceleration boost still available for the LR AWD even tho the Stealth is now an official option you can order. At least that is my understanding.

To answer the question, yes it is. Its for folks who own an existing LR AWD.

Reactions: JasonR67
Super annoyed that they did this but I imagine they'll change it sometime. You just never know when... But I think it's a way to test the demand for the 3P- vs the + and I think they might be hesitant to undercut their top level trim.

To me, an extra 2k for the 0-60 of the performance is a no brainier! But having been teased with the on and off availability of the stealth is annoying and now it's the same price??

Really makes me just want to wait it out now until they do something more reasonable but who knows when they will? Nobody!

The only pros for me on the upgrades is the red color caliper and the spoiler. I'm mostly indifferent to the lowering. Track mode sounds cool but I'd probably never use it. Might try it if I had it though...

I think the worst thing is the loss in range and comfort with the 20's not to mention vulnerability to potholes. To each their own! They look very nice but I think it's mean to offer this at the same price.

Just unfortunate timing for me right now I guess.

Curious how many have sold at the new price without the upgrades.

This must just be an experiment but I'm not going to get ripped off just to be part of it.

If I have to, I guess I'll get this with upgrades and sell the wheels/tires. Kinda sceptical there's much of a market though. I was told they only fit on the performance 3 because of something machined out of the hub or something. So are my buyers limited to just performance owners or any model 3 owner? I still get mixed answers from Tesla reps.

Really wish they just offered without upgrades for less money instead of the same. Betting they will sometime again.

Reactions: SlimJim
Super annoyed that they did this but I imagine they'll change it sometime. You just never know when... But I think it's a way to test the demand for the 3P- vs the + and I think they might be hesitant to undercut their top level trim.

To me, an extra 2k for the 0-60 of the performance is a no brainier! But having been teased with the on and off availability of the stealth is annoying and now it's the same price??

Really makes me just want to wait it out now until they do something more reasonable but who knows when they will? Nobody!

The only pros for me on the upgrades is the red color caliper and the spoiler. I'm mostly indifferent to the lowering. Track mode sounds cool but I'd probably never use it. Might try it if I had it though...

I think the worst thing is the loss in range and comfort with the 20's not to mention vulnerability to potholes. To each their own! They look very nice but I think it's mean to offer this at the same price.

Just unfortunate timing for me right now I guess.

Curious how many have sold at the new price without the upgrades.

This must just be an experiment but I'm not going to get ripped off just to be part of it.

I just ordered a week or so ago and I would have gone stealth even if there were a 1k discount from full P. I just couldn’t stomach paying the same for less.

i bet they change it at some point and I check every so often hoping, but... $2k boost it is.

Reactions: ZapCarM3
I just ordered a week or so ago and I would have gone stealth even if there were a 1k discount from full P. I just couldn’t stomach paying the same for less.

i bet they change it at some point and I check every so often hoping, but... $2k boost it is.

So what did you order? Sorry, can't tell. And if you got the upgrades, you plan on selling the wheels? Or what do you not like about the upgrades?

Yeah it feels like such a waste of money to pay to not upgrade the parts. It's really not fair and I hope they adjust the price before this quarter ends. I'll keep my eye on that.

So what did you order? Sorry, can't tell. And if you got the upgrades, you plan on selling the wheels? Or what do you not like about the upgrades?

Yeah it feels like such a waste of money to pay to not upgrade the parts. It's really not fair and I hope they adjust the price before this quarter ends. I'll keep my eye on that.

My bad. I went with the LR AWD and plan on doing the boost.

I debated (still kinda debating) selling the wheels and putting 19s on them, but the reality is I’m just not that guy right now. Life is too hectic to be juggling another project of sorts. I can solve for money, I can’t solve for time but I’m not going to let that make me feel taken advantage of (which I’m sure isn’t their intention, probably production related heading into the Y ramp up, but still)

My bad. I went with the LR AWD and plan on doing the boost.

I debated (still kinda debating) selling the wheels and putting 19s on them, but the reality is I’m just not that guy right now. Life is too hectic to be juggling another project of sorts. I can solve for money, I can’t solve for time but I’m not going to let that make me feel taken advantage of (which I’m sure isn’t their intention, probably production related heading into the Y ramp up, but still)
I get ya. I always say now "time isn't money" and one reason is because you can't get the time back.

So you can get boost? I had no idea! What is this? I must have missed something.

I get ya. I always say now "time isn't money" and one reason is because you can't get the time back.

So you can get boost? I had no idea! What is this? I must have missed something.

LR AWD cars can buy an acceleration boost option for $2000 that roughly splits the difference between LR AWD and P.

0-60 (measured the same way the P is) goes to ~3.5, 1/4 mile to about 11.8... versus the ~3.9 and ~12.3 they are at without the boost.... and versus roughly 3.0 and 11.4 for the P.

(Teslas listed times for the LR AWD are worse, because Tesla deceptively measures the P cars differently from the non-P ones to make the gap look larger than it really is)

LR AWD cars can buy an acceleration boost option for $2000 that roughly splits the difference between LR AWD and P.

0-60 (measured the same way the P is) goes to ~3.5, 1/4 mile to about 11.8... versus the ~3.9 and ~12.3 they are at without the boost.... and versus roughly 3.0 and 11.4 for the P.

(Teslas listed times for the LR AWD are worse, because Tesla deceptively measures the P cars differently from the non-P ones to make the gap look larger than it really is)

Wow! They find interesting ways to make money. Idk what to do. I'm between cars now. Sold mine the other night and now this decision... Thinking about waiting until near end of quarter to see if incentives come up. Still annoyed by this decision of the Performance or not.

My neighbor asked me (I own a MS performance) and i didn't have the info for him
any help would be great
he's looking to buy a M3 and be in the 50-52k range(great weather year round and good roads)
what would you all advise on a spec for best value
thx in advance

anyone with some advice?
should he buy used P3D? or is it best for a an upgraded LR and get the speed upgrade (what is the 0-60) with that choice
budget he said is 50k
thx in advance

anyone with some advice?
should he buy used P3D? or is it best for a an upgraded LR and get the speed upgrade (what is the 0-60) with that choice
budget he said is 50k
thx in advance

Is waiting an option? I imagine something will happen financially for the 3 once the Y hits or we get closer to the end of the first quarter which is end of March.

Can you actually find a used one? Used m3 is so hard to find and always seems overpriced or salvaged.

anyone with some advice?
budget he said is 50k
thx in advance

Another issues is if he wants FSD or not- that's a $7000 option which eliminates any new LR Tesla right now.

A new LR AWD with accel boost but no FSD is (barely) in his price range (including destination but ignoring tax) and gives him a 3.5 0-60 (measured same as P)

A P is ~6k over (including destination but ignoring tax) and gets him a 3.0 0-60.... it also (if he wishes to take the same-price PuP package) gets him heavy 20" wheels, larger brakes, higher top speed, and track mode.... but unless he's planning to actually track the car (or drive on the autobahn) none of those would be of much use to him and potentially more costly to have on the car in the long run.

Used pricing still seems very high for Model 3....so I'm not sure he'd have a ton of luck finding a P worth buying compared to new.

Another issues is if he wants FSD or not- that's a $7000 option which eliminates any new LR Tesla right now.

A new LR AWD with accel boost but no FSD is (barely) in his price range (including destination but ignoring tax) and gives him a 3.5 0-60 (measured same as P)

A P is ~6k over (including destination but ignoring tax) and gets him a 3.0 0-60.... it also (if he wishes to take the same-price PuP package) gets him heavy 20" wheels, larger brakes, higher top speed, and track mode.... but unless he's planning to actually track the car (or drive on the autobahn) none of those would be of much use to him and potentially more costly to have on the car in the long run.

Used pricing still seems very high for Model 3....so I'm not sure he'd have a ton of luck finding a P worth buying compared to new.
Personally I suggest against FSD. The autopilot which Tesla comes with already does a lot and FSD just isn't quite there yet. Nobody knows when it will be. Like one thing it can't do is park itself unless there are 2 cars to park between that are close enough. Apparently you can't just pick a spot if it's open. There have to be cars on each side and close enough. 2 car widths apart would be too far.

Used market seems like a total rip-off at this time but maybe your local options are better? Unlikely but maybe.

Reactions: jimmym1981