Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance vs. PP 0-60 wrt Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Long time lurker first time poster. I put in my configuration for a “sleeper” performance and keep vacillating on the upgrade package. Not super thrilled with the 20” wheels, but also peeved at being stuck with the 18” non-PS4S tires. It seems odd to me that the 11k package couldn’t at least upgrade you to sport tires.

My question - how can both the 18” and 20” wheel packages hit 0-60 in 3.5 seconds when the tires are so different in grip levels?

My question - how can both the 18” and 20” wheel packages hit 0-60 in 3.5 seconds when the tires are so different in grip levels?
Probably won't, even though the tire compounds being equal the 18" probably would have the edge due to being lighter and more mass compact than the 20".

To that end just have a celebratory burning off of the stock tires and then spend $1K to install a set of PS4S on the 18" rims? ;) Michelin makes them in the right size.

Goes to show I still come from an ICE mindset haha.

I appreciate the offer but I also don’t want the factory 20’s, just the brakes. I’ve always liked 19’s for the combination of comfort and performance, 20 seems like asking for trouble on the unpaved sinkhole network that is Los Angeles.

Reactions: Msjulie
Not a bad idea, Bete.

The bad news about Tesla's upgraded brakes is you can't fit the 18" over them. :( You'll have to go aftermarket. There are already people working on that, look around here for the Mountain Pass vendor that's focused on stuff for putting on a track, for starters. Or maybe if you go the Upgrade package to get the brakes, trade the 20" away for some 19" or 3rd party wheels. Decent chance you could recover good cash from the 20" because Tesla sells those to RWD and AWD owners aftermarket at $4K for a set, IIRC.

Good luck.

Hi all,

Long time lurker first time poster. I put in my configuration for a “sleeper” performance and keep vacillating on the upgrade package. Not super thrilled with the 20” wheels, but also peeved at being stuck with the 18” non-PS4S tires. It seems odd to me that the 11k package couldn’t at least upgrade you to sport tires.

I’m wondering the same thing. I’m also purchasing the P model with base wheels and tires. I’m either going to hopefully get a test drive of a P with the same configuration (seems highly unlikely or occur) or see how it goes when I get my car. If necessary I will get the pilot sports in 18” size.

The way the timing is looking any tire swap to performance summers will have to be a spring activity since I will likely need winter tires within a month or so after getting the car. Unless they produce it in August or September.

The bad news about Tesla's upgraded brakes is you can't fit the 18" over them. :( You'll have to go aftermarket. There are already people working on that, look around here for the Mountain Pass vendor that's focused on stuff for putting on a track, for starters. Or maybe if you go the Upgrade package to get the brakes, trade the 20" away for some 19" or 3rd party wheels. Decent chance you could recover good cash from the 20" because Tesla sells those to RWD and AWD owners aftermarket at $4K for a set, IIRC.

Good luck.

Does I thought the brake rotors were only 355 in the front? That should be able to clear 18's or at least some aftermarket 18's should be able to clear the barrel. Does the new upgraded brakes hit with face of the wheel? If that is the issue than a spacer should be able to fix that issue as well.

I'm sure we will find out soon once these things start landing in customers hands. Then we can get some real clearance measurements.

Does I thought the brake rotors were only 355 in the front? That should be able to clear 18's or at least some aftermarket 18's should be able to clear the barrel. Does the new upgraded brakes hit with face of the wheel? If that is the issue than a spacer should be able to fix that issue as well.

I'm sure we will find out soon once these things start landing in customers hands. Then we can get some real clearance measurements.
It's the calipers, from the snapshots we've seen they look like big'ns. ;) It's probably close but best word out of Tesla so far is the 18" won't quite fit over them. The ordering configurator won't let you choose it, either.

maybe if you go the Upgrade package to get the brakes, trade the 20" away for some 19" or 3rd party wheels. Decent chance you could recover good cash from the 20" because Tesla sells those to RWD and AWD owners aftermarket at $4K for a set, IIRC..

Where that idea is awkward is the 20s on the model 3 require (and come with if purchased as a side item) new upper control arms that would be hard to pass on to the buyer.

Not sure what it does to the car if you don't install those with the 20s, but probably nothing good.

FWIW, it was confirmed elsewhere you can put 255s on the stock 18s if you're gonna swap better tires on anyway... you'd be 1.1% off from stock diameter but have almost 10% wider tread.

It's the calipers, from the snapshots we've seen they look like big'ns. ;) It's probably close but best word out of Tesla so far is the 18" won't quite fit over them. The ordering configurator won't let you choose it, either.

I guess we will just have to see. If the calipers are huge and rub the barrel on the OEM 18 there is not much that can be done really.

Though I have hope even some 17s like Apex ARC8s my BMW M3 can clear 355 6pistion calipers. (My background is mostly in modding German cars. Though I have a WRX DD lol). So if not OEM 18s I’m sure we can get some aftermarket 18s to fit no problem if designed properly.

17x9 et30 with 355 6 piston Stoptech BBK.

17x9et30barewheeloverbrakesfront.jpg