Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance vs RWD insurance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if this is covered elsewhere, I couldn’t find it. Curious if anyone minds sharing any insight on insurance premiums for performance vs RWD. Thanks.

I don't know this for certain, but I BELIEVE that insurance companies don't differentiate between the RWD, standard AWD or Performance AWD variances. Unlike other brands (BMW 330i vs. M3, Mercedes C 300 vs. AMG C 63 S), the Model 3 is still a Model 3 (purchase agreements are all for a "Model 3", and everything else is an option). I'm also basing my conclusion on several insurance rates I've heard from people with Performance versions as compared to the rate I had for my LR. I could be wrong though... *shrugs*

Thanks to JR Garage, I was able to snag this screenshot from their YouTube video to illustrate my point...

Screen Shot 2018-08-23 at 4.18.20 PM.png

-Shane

I don't know this for certain, but I BELIEVE that insurance companies don't differentiate between the RWD, standard AWD or Performance AWD variances.

Insurance companies generally use the VIN to differentiate performance variants- since the VIN has a different letter in it for different engine/motor options.

In the case of the 3 it's interesting because the AWD and P have the same letter (since based on all current info, and reinforced by this very fact, they have physically identical motors and the AWD is just software limited).

The RWD however has its own VIN letter to indicate only the single rear motor.

Comparing insurance rates between people isn't very helpful, so you'd really need to get a quote from your provider for each configuration. Like @Knightshade said, the AWD and P don't have a different VIN code, but since the Performance is so much more expensive compared to an RWD, I would assume that any policy with comprehensive coverage is going to cost more.

As mentioned, it's going to depend on you, your insurance company, etc

What we noticed is since the RWD and the Performance have essentially the same costs to repair if crashed, the rates were close enough not to matter... there's the front motor so that could add a little if you hit hard enough but then maybe the car is toast so no matter?

We don't have < 28 year old drivers which I know makes a big difference and might also if your 3 was a Performance version vs not - pesky teen boy drivers and all :rolleyes:

Our 2017 Audi A3 e-Tron costs more to insure than the 2018 Model 3, I'm primary on the 3 he's primary on the Audi; but like I said, < 28 isn't our problem ;)

higher price but also because "performance" vehicles generally are more adept to speeding and aggressive driving. No grandma buys a performance vehicle #justsayin

Except there's no "higher price" to tell.

A stripped P has been as cheap as $64,000.

A maxxed out AWD is $67,000.

So how do they know if grandma bought the P or the AWD, given there's no VIN or obvious price difference?

When getting an Allstate quote they didn't even know that the "B" in the VIN was AWD, they internally list them both as "rear wheel drive". ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ They also had effectively the same price for the AWD as they'd quoted me prior for the RWD. It was less than $10, maybe no difference but I'm not sure to that precision since these quote requests were a few months apart (after I'd changed what I was ordering).

higher price but also because "performance" vehicles generally are more adept to speeding and aggressive driving. No grandma buys a performance vehicle #justsayin

There are a ton of people in these forums, on Reddit, and in Tesla's forum that have little understanding of owning a sports car that will be buying the performance Model 3, and nearly just as many adding the performance upgrade to it.

The good news is most of these people will hate their car and end up crashing it because they're terrible drivers, or selling it because they don't like the way it performs with the cheap tires they eventually put on it. so there's going to be a great secondary market for parts and used vehicles in the next couple years.

Price of the car means nothing.
If an AWD gets in less accidents (for what ever reason) then an AWD might have cheaper rate. Even if it’s a more valuable car.

Each insurance company will look in a database with your VIN and have a score associated with it. There is no correlation with price. Better cars might have older more conservative drivers or more safety features. The score includes, bodily injury, cost to repair, frequency of accidents etc.

They also have scores on your location. Frequency of theft, accidents etc.

Those scores along with your driving record generates the price.

I saw very little difference between different model 3’s.

By the way I found Progressive to be one of the better prices. My current insurance wanted $2150/yr for M3 and 2017 Jeep Summit. Progressive was $1000/yr. With more coverage. Geico was similar.

Also web applications can be WAY off from the actual price. Get a quote by phone with an accurate VIN.

Borrow a VIN to get exact pricing if you don’t have a VIN yet. This burned us the day before because we thought we found the company we wanted but when we wanted to go forward it was like $500 more than web form estimated.