Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know if the VIN is only assigned after the car is complete? Or if they do it ahead of time? My guy said specifically that my car would be complete this Sunday. So I'm wondering if I'm making myself crazy looking for a VIN when there won't be one until Sunday.

Tesla informed me that the model 3 VIN assignment method is different than with the S and X. Rather than assigning the VIN prior to production, Model 3's don't get VIN's until production is finished. I was told this by both my SA and some folks at the Fremont Delivery Center.

Surely they will have them to us all shortly. I mean different media outlets are reporting they are giving away free supercharging on model 3s in inventory to finish out the quarter.

Are you referring to the 2000 supercharger miles referral increase? Or is this some type of different promotion? Wouldn’t be fair to offer this to people purchasing “in inventory” cars and not to the people who are sitting here waiting over a month on their cars.

Reactions: gandhi95
There's a 2018 White/Black performance in the used inventory for Bay Area. 46 miles on meter.
Thanks for the tip. I put down a deposit and will try to check it out.

I had an existing pending reservation on a MSM/Black/FSD Performance (placed on 8/17 originally as White/Black, but changed to MSM on 8/21) but that hasn't had any updates since my delivery manager reached out to me a few weeks ago; no VIN or anything.

I was planning to buy FSD anyway so I guess I can add it on after delivery (and get the FSD computer upgraded if need be). The pictures looked pretty near-new, so hopefully the car looks that good in-person.

Thanks for the tip. I put down a deposit and will try to check it out.

I had an existing pending reservation on a MSM/Black/FSD Performance (placed on 8/17 originally as White/Black, but changed to MSM on 8/21) but that hasn't had any updates since my delivery manager reached out to me a few weeks ago; no VIN or anything.

I was planning to buy FSD anyway so I guess I can add it on after delivery (and get the FSD computer upgraded if need be). The pictures looked pretty near-new, so hopefully the car looks that good in-person.

I called about the car cause I was curious. The person I spoke to on the phone said it was most likely a showroom car but not 100% because they do not have that info. She did confirm that there is no way the car is a lemon though. According to her and carfax, the car is pretty much brand new.

Spoke to delivery center today and asked to check status of my order. The nice person who answered the phone provided me with a great update, that I had a VIN already and to expect delivery on the 18th or 19th. Who knows if she was blowing smoke or not, considering the anecdotes of cancellations, I'm remaining cautiously optimistic. Also hopeful Tesla will do the right thing and apply supercharging incentive to existing Q3 orders

Showroom car makes the most sense. Not sure I'd buy sight unseen though. A lot of people probably got in and out of it, opened/closed the doors, etc... so just because it has low miles doesn't mean it doesn't have some wear on those parts.
It's unusual that a showroom car would show up their used inventory, since typically those cars show up in their new inventory along with test drive cars (some with over 1000 miles on them).

Anyway, once someone reaches out to me for a pickup appointment I'll head over to Fremont to check it out and try to get the full story.

Reactions: Sickevo86
Tesla called me today asking if I wanted to pick the car up early tomorrow morning at 11AM. I agreed and moved my appointment to drop off my car at the PPF/tint place. Ten minutes later they call me back and tell me that my car isn't at the facility yet and isn't going to be there until late on Saturday night.

Back to a Monday delivery.
Just got mine today. 4 days early!!! I had to move my tint appt. too

Reactions: GOOCHY