Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance winter tires for M3P and 18" vs 19" wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello! I have worn a set of winter tires in 2 1/2 winters and would like to get input from the community on the new ones.

First a report.
I am a skier in Seattle area and drive my 2018 M3P to ski resorts in Seattle area and also to British Columbia, Canada many times a year. I wanted a balance of road and snow performance and picked Michelin Pilot Alpine 4 which I put on the factory 20" wheels mid winter 18-19. The tires were awesome while new. Winter 19-20 they were still good but their performance during winter 20-21 was quite poor. Note that I estimate I drive around 7.5K miles every winter.

Now I am looking to buy dedicated winter wheels, in 18" or 19", in order to extend the range in winter, and also, as a secondary goal, to have better protection from potholes. It looks like Michelin PA4 are only available in stock for R19, and I would have to go with Pirelli Sottozero 3 if I want 18" wheels.

Any input on 19" with Michelin PA4 vs 18" with Pirelli Sottozero 3 in terms of lighter duty snow tires that perform well and help extend the range?

I'd also appreciate input on hub centric wheels for M3P with good balance of price ($300ish), weight (25lb or less) and strength (load rating 1800 or more) that are in stock. My quick googling (and a sense of visual harmony) led me to Tesla Wheels - Ohm Proton Rotary Forged Rims but they don't seem to be in stock much.

Had to navigate around shortages and delays. Wanted Tesla specific Ohm (TSW) wheels but it sounded like TSW was acquired and they no longer available. Went with T Sport line. Michelin Pilot Alpine tires were sold out in R18 so I had to go with Pirelli tires. Such times.

Had to navigate around shortages and delays. Wanted Tesla specific Ohm (TSW) wheels but it sounded like TSW was acquired and they no longer available. Went with T Sport line. Michelin Pilot Alpine tires were sold out in R18 so I had to go with Pirelli tires. Such times.
Maybe you can help me with a technical question?
1. Why does the new M3 RWD only lose 2% range with the 19-inch sport rims, while the Long Range loses almost 7%? Do the RWD have different tires than the long range?
2. Is the range loss mostly in city driving or highway? I'm guessing city, since I would just be maintaining inertia?

Thanks

Maybe you can help me with a technical question?
1. Why does the new M3 RWD only lose 2% range with the 19-inch sport rims, while the Long Range loses almost 7%? Do the RWD have different tires than the long range?
2. Is the range loss mostly in city driving or highway? I'm guessing city, since I would just be maintaining inertia?

Thanks
I don't know where you got 2% and 7% numbers. If this is anecdotal evidence from different people on the forum I wouldn't put much weight on those numbers.
Most of the difference is coming from different energy losses translated to rotational friction in the side walls of lower and higher profile tires, and less difference should come from different overall rotating weight of tire+wheel. There's also considerable difference between different tires in the same size defined mostly by stickiness of the rubber and stiffness of the side wall. Then winter and summer tires are usually used at different temperatures ... Many variables ...

For me it seems that going from 20" Michelin PS4S to 18" Pirelli performance winter tires increased my range by approximately 4% when measured in average WPM on the same trip in somewhat similar temperatures.

Hello! I have worn a set of winter tires in 2 1/2 winters and would like to get input from the community on the new ones.

First a report.
I am a skier in Seattle area and drive my 2018 M3P to ski resorts in Seattle area and also to British Columbia, Canada many times a year. I wanted a balance of road and snow performance and picked Michelin Pilot Alpine 4 which I put on the factory 20" wheels mid winter 18-19. The tires were awesome while new. Winter 19-20 they were still good but their performance during winter 20-21 was quite poor. Note that I estimate I drive around 7.5K miles every winter.

Now I am looking to buy dedicated winter wheels, in 18" or 19", in order to extend the range in winter, and also, as a secondary goal, to have better protection from potholes. It looks like Michelin PA4 are only available in stock for R19, and I would have to go with Pirelli Sottozero 3 if I want 18" wheels.

Any input on 19" with Michelin PA4 vs 18" with Pirelli Sottozero 3 in terms of lighter duty snow tires that perform well and help extend the range?

I'd also appreciate input on hub centric wheels for M3P with good balance of price ($300ish), weight (25lb or less) and strength (load rating 1800 or more) that are in stock. My quick googling (and a sense of visual harmony) led me to Tesla Wheels - Ohm Proton Rotary Forged Rims but they don't seem to be in stock much.
19 inch wheels wont provide much if any protection from nasty pothole damage, the sidewalls are just too thin.