Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Wrong Size Wheel/Tire from Factory

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,
My model Y performance has 16,000 miles. Within the past week I’ve noticed this rather predictable knock/rubbing directly under my drivers floorboard area when turning the wheel 9 or 3 at low speeds.

And I was hoping maybe a tire rotation would help, as well as of course have a technician on site that I could pry for information. Anyways, the technician said the tires were just fine BUT that my performance model had the wrong size tires on the front, being 275, rather than 255. He showed me the sticker in the door jamb and everything. That is how mine came when I picked it up.

A few questions. Is this a common occurrence? I don’t see any obvious signs of where the front tire is rubbing the wheel well, so do not think the sound is directly related to that. With that being said, my tires are in great condition and have hardly any wear.

He already put in a call to get them swapped out for the correct size, hell now I’m wondering if I should even do that?

Any ideas about this knocking sound? The alignment seems fine- obviously concerning though anytime you have a sound you know doesn’t belong. And no, it’s not anything about the battery- it’s very specifically triggered when the wheel hits a certain point while turning- and that’s the only time.

Someone with more knowledge can chime in (or this may be a better question for the Wheel and Tire subsection) but I think the clearances around the suspension, especially with the size of the performance wheels/tires is pretty tight. It could be the tire bumping something. That wouldn't explain why it's just starting now, but you're talking about the front's being nearly 1in wider and half an inch taller than they should be:

1667399072402.png

Did the mobile tech check any of the suspension bolts to make sure they were all tight?

Not common and Tesla should fix this on its dime. Let us know how this turns out. But know many folks here replace the 255s with larger tires without difficulty.

I do wonder if they mounted a set of REAR tires/wheels where the rear wheels are 10.5" wide vs the normal 9.5" which could be the cause of the noise, here's some sizing info that might be helpful.