Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Y without lowered Suspension

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SabrToothSqrl

Dec 5, 2014
PA
... I want all the things the performance Y has... except the lowered suspension...

Do you think Tesla would be willing to put the 'normal' springs on it?

I like CUVs/SUVs due to being higher.... I don't plan to actually race this thing, I don't need it lowered. I'm fine with regular height...

any ideas?

thanks

• Funny
Reactions: Brando and MP3Mike
Hydropneumatic suspension - Wikipedia
Above article will give you some details

For the end user/drive experience perhaps this Jay Leno review will help:

Seems this type of suspension might unify the sedan/SUV split??
IF people actually kept their vehicle for a lifetime this would seem a natural choice, no?
There is a recent presentation from Engineering Explained about the hydraulic suspension designed by Citroen and used on the new McLaren:

• Informative
Reactions: Brando
you sure love that suspension. here's another

This video shows the special SpaceX booster that will be added to the 2020 Tesla Roadster:

BossS   .jpg

McLaren video particular informative for historical perspectives.
Tesla computers controlling "flow restrictors" should work just fine, right?
What might Tesla be able to do? Individual wheel jump over pot holes ??

Competition of ideas - usually great. I hope Tesla is considering these alternatives. Could be one way Tesla constantly improves over the competition and continues to just make the MOST compelling cars.

So far, no real competitor to the Model S, yet. NOR the Model 3, yet.
Legacy vehicle makers have a lot of catching up to do.
Most obvious is batteries - can automakers out source battery production? or must it be in house to be competitive with ICE??

thanks @SabrToothSqrl @Watts_Up

Will be interesting to see if RIMAC and Koenigsegg put into their cars in the near future. GO McLaren.
Or Porsche or Bugatti or any of the new electric super sports car introduced this year in Geneva, Switzerland.

Last edited:
... I want all the things the Performance Y has... except the lowered suspension...

I also imagine that the Dual Motor and the Performance Model Y configurations
will have a smart air suspension as well as the Model 3,
as announced previously by Elon Musk in a tweet in September 2017.

Here is an example of issue with low suspension:

... I want all the things the performance Y has... except the lowered suspension...

Highly unlikely, as Tesla is in volume production they can't make one-off custom cars anymore.

Also, I think more than just the springs are different some of the control arms are different to correct the camber/etc. that is changed as part of being lower.

Highly unlikely, as Tesla is in volume production they can't make one-off custom cars anymore.

Also, I think more than just the springs are different some of the control arms are different to correct the camber/etc. that is changed as part of being lower.

I don't actually think that's likely... the only change to lower it would be shorter springs.
I'll use my Jeepin' skills and get normal springs + 1" spaces and throw some off-road tires on it :)
I am dead serious. I miss my JK on 35s.

Although, has anyone done a parts list difference between the 3 and performance 3? specifically suspension related?

Like sabertooth, I would prefer the fastest version but without the lowered suspension, but a few points. One is that the 0-60 time is partly a function of the lowered suspension, so that 0-60 time will go up when the suspension goes up. Secondly, the 0-60 time for the performance version is likely achieved with soft, high performance "summer" tires on dry, clean pavement. You will not be driving much on clean pavement. And if you want the higher suspension, you may also want a more practical tire. Again, 0-60 time goes up. So, when the smoke clears, you may not be doing much better than the long range dual motor version (which is still pretty damn fast, and in my experience, about as fast as one can drive in real-world conditions, unless you plan on tacking it to the track).

Do you think that the Model Y performance can be configured without the PUP (Performance Upgrade Package)... even off-menu, like the Model 3 Performance can? Essentially Dual Motor with the software for Performance.

That's how my 3 is... and I love it! I don't want the 20" rims!

Also - maybe worth sharing... I just swapped out my Primacy MX4 tires to the 18" version on the 20" performance tires (Michelin Pilot Sport etc. - for net $350 for the swap installed!) and it's transformed the car too.

• Love
Reactions: Watts_Up
Do you think that the Model Y performance can be configured without the PUP (Performance Upgrade Package)... even off-menu, like the Model 3 Performance can? Essentially Dual Motor with the software for Performance.

That's how my 3 is... and I love it! I don't want the 20" rims!

Also - maybe worth sharing... I just swapped out my Primacy MX4 tires to the 18" version on the 20" performance tires (Michelin Pilot Sport etc. - for net $350 for the swap installed!) and it's transformed the car too.
Any pics?

lozza, I’m with you. I only just realized there was such a thing as a “stealth” Model 3 and my wife has one. Perfect for us, as it has performance acceleration, but quieter aero wheels and higher suspension. I’m betting Tesla will make Acceleration Boost available for Ys as well as 3s, so I edited my Model Y order yesterday to go from Performance to LR AWD. Fingers’ crossed that I’ll be able to pay for Acceleration Boost. I’m super happy not to be paying for suspension, brakes and wheels I don’t want, only to get the acceleration I do want.

Reactions: OutofPocket
There's a difference in the amount of power in the Stealth Model 3 vs the AWD LR with the performance boost. Sadly, they are the same price. It'd be better to see about getting an off menu Stealth Y than buying the AWD LR and paying for the boost.

lozza, I’m with you. I only just realized there was such a thing as a “stealth” Model 3 and my wife has one. Perfect for us, as it has performance acceleration, but quieter aero wheels and higher suspension. I’m betting Tesla will make Acceleration Boost available for Ys as well as 3s, so I edited my Model Y order yesterday to go from Performance to LR AWD. Fingers’ crossed that I’ll be able to pay for Acceleration Boost. I’m super happy not to be paying for suspension, brakes and wheels I don’t want, only to get the acceleration I do want.

This. If Tesla is reading, a MY stealth will sell like hotcakes!

...mmmmm butter and syrup