Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Perhaps Tesla will follow GM's connectivity lead during the Convid-19 crisis...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you stay at home like you're supposed to, your internet is already unlimited (Wi-Fi).

Being married to a teacher, the number of homes without Internet is somewhat surprising. It’s one of the many challenges her school district has overcome in the last 2 weeks. But persevere they have - can’t believe how productive they’re being in this brave new world.

Being married to a teacher, the number of homes without Internet is somewhat surprising.
True in terms of the general population, but for those of us who can afford Teslas, I suspect close to 100% of us have Internet access at home. Also, this emergency isn't like hurricanes or wildfires where people are on the run and may need access to the latest information to know where to evacuate to and how to get there. In this emergency, we're supposed to shelter in place and not go anywhere unnecessarily. So, I don't see much value in offering free premium connectivity for our cars that aren't going to be driven around much anyway.

Last edited:
True in terms of the general population, but for those of us who can afford Teslas, I suspect close to 100% of us have Internet access at home. Also, this emergency isn't like hurricanes or wildfires where people are on the run and may need access to the latest information to know where to evacuate to and how to get there. In this emergency, we're supposed to shelter in place and not go anywhere unnecessarily. So, I don't see much value in offering free premium connectivity for our cars that aren't going to be driven around much anyway.

Weren’t we talking about GM turning on their car hotspot?

Perfectly valuable, useful and a nice gesture. For those without other options, this is a generous move on GM’s part. And - to be fair - it works in places other wireless devices won’t. I’ve used my prior Cadillac’s hotspot in the Catskills when nothing else worked. Much better antenna than that little one in your handset.

Reactions: eevee-fan
Actually, that's not the original purpose of this thread whatsoever. The citation to GM was merely an example of a corporate entity activating a paid feature for no cost during this current pandemic. The question posed was whether Tesla will follow that lead.

That was the question posed, but not what I replied to. Based on that - I agree with @BluestarE3. Premium Connectivity offers limited to no societal value. GM’s hotspot does.

For owners whose connectivity access has expired or shortly will, perhaps Tesla will GM's lead...

GM offers free, limited internet access in its connected cars

It's within 50 yards of the vehicle, and a max of 3GB of data total use over a 3 month period.

Are there really a lot of people who own a new enough GM vehicle that this works for them, but somehow don't also have enough internet access that 1 GB a month within 50 yards of their car is a huge help?

Seems more like a PR move than real help.

Reactions: Salted and IDRVSLO
It's within 50 yards of the vehicle, and a max of 3GB of data total use over a 3 month period.

Are there really a lot of people who own a new enough GM vehicle that this works for them, but somehow don't also have enough internet access that 1 GB a month within 50 yards of their car is a huge help?

Seems more like a PR move than real help.
I have 3 Chevys and my Model S. The ‘17 and ‘20 Chevys are certainly new enough. The Corvette predates the Internet, so no. But this does allow me to work from anywhere if I want to leave my house during this stay-at-home order. I do work in an essential field.
I can remote in and have the servers do the heavy lifting and not burn through the data.

I likely won’t actually do this, but it is nice knowing I could.

I have 3 Chevys and my Model S. The ‘17 and ‘20 Chevys are certainly new enough. The Corvette predates the Internet, so no. But this does allow me to work from anywhere if I want to leave my house during this stay-at-home order. I do work in an essential field.
I can remote in and have the servers do the heavy lifting and not burn through the data.

I likely won’t actually do this, but it is nice knowing I could.

You have 4 cars including a Model S and a classic vette.

So I find it hard to believe you otherwise would've been lacking for net access.