Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Permanent Texas Plates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,
My second temp tag expires on Sunday and am just looking for some recent experience on the purchase process here in TX. Not sure if I missed something or I need to go to my assessor's office to do anything as I thought the process was all done on Tesla's side.

Long story short:
03-26-19 - Picked up my Model S from the San Antonio Service Center
04-01-19 - Signed documents marked a delivered to Tesla
04-16-19 - Follow up with my IDA/SA on when I should expect info/plates (no response)
05-08-19 - Follow up again with my SA and he says he forwarded my info to the "Texas DMV Team"

Haven't heard anything back yet and am going to call to follow up this afternoon. I'm hoping at the very least that if the plates aren't in this week that they can give me a loaner in the meantime or something.

Any input is appreciated!

60-90 days is not uncommon and it's all on Tesla's side (nothing you can do at the Assessor's office). If your second temp tag expires, Tesla should be able to get a third one to you.

That's kind of what I had figured after combing through the TX DMV site to see. Feels so wrong to not have a title after this long though lol

I think you can also just get one online. That's what Tesla had you do back before they did it for you.

I tried to find that on the DMV site and all I could seem to find was the temp tags that last like 5 days after a vehicle purchase or the 144 hour commercial ones.

I tried to find that on the DMV site and all I could seem to find was the temp tags that last like 5 days after a vehicle purchase or the 144 hour commercial ones.

Yeah it looks like they no longer let you do the 30-day ones online because people were faking them:

TxDMV halts parts of online paper license plate system amid fraud concerns

I do remember it being surprisingly easy -- you just filled in the car's info, paid the $30 and it printed out right there at home.

Yeah it looks like they no longer let you do the 30-day ones online because people were faking them:

TxDMV halts parts of online paper license plate system amid fraud concerns

I do remember it being surprisingly easy -- you just filled in the car's info, paid the $30 and it printed out right there at home.

They just have to ruin it for everyone lol

My SA emailed me back after I followed up with him yesterday and said that he followed up again with the TX DMV department. I'm not holing my breath so I'll probably head down to the tax assessor's office tomorrow and pick up the last 30-day there.
Thanks for the help/suggestions!