Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Permanon Aircraft Supershine on my Tesla – supposedly the latest and greatest in car finishes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Next weekend I’ll be cleaning off all of the coatings now on my Model S with SimpleGreen Extreme Aircraft and Precision Cleaner (safely removes wax and other finishes), using a clay bar on the paint, then applying a 10 percent solution of Permanon Aircraft Supershine (a relatively new German made product that’s used on aircraft). The product was designed for aircraft but can be used safely on cars and many other surfaces.

From the Permanon web site:

“Permanon is a safe and simple-to-apply surface protection that produces a brilliant shine on all solid aircraft surfaces. When applied, nano-engineered particles of Permanon's Silicium 14Si electro-statically bonds and fill microscopic pores and pits that naturally occur in solid materials. These nono-imperfections allow dirt and grime to bond to the surface, Permanon bridges and fills these gaps making it harder for dirt to embed.”

According to the claims I’ve seen, Permanon is the next generation coating after Opticoat Pro, and sticks to any negatively-charged surface, which means paint, chrome, glass, PlastiDip, and so on. It's supposed to be better than OptiCoat Pro on Xpel and other self-healing surfaces as there is no rigid cross-linked shell to permanently breach. It's been likened to nanoscopic fish scales, which makes it applicable to new paint as well as water-wet surfaces, as its function is electrostatic. One coat is supposed to last for a year on aircraft, and this product is authorized by Boeing for use on its aircraft.

It’s just mixed with distilled water than sprayed on a squeaky clean painted or other surface then wiped down with microfiber towels. Pretty simple with none of the effort of other finishes.

Is all of this too good to be true? I’ll be running the B.S. meter Saturday, July 2. When I get it all done that day I’ll post comments and photos. We’ll see if the claims are just hype or true.

Good luck! Will you apply the Permanon as well to the windshield in an effort to ameliorate any existing micropitting and as a preventative for any future chips or pitting in the glass?

I have more micropitting and chips in the windshield glass than in all of the car's O-CPd paint.

It's too good to be true. I've used some Permanon products before, and even with a fully detailed and prepped surface, I didn't get any longevity out of it. Dwindling interest in the detailing community.

A couple other things: it'll take a lot more than SimpleGreen to remove a quality sealant and quality wax from your car. It definitely won't remove any ceramic coating or Opticoat that you may have applied. Additionally, if you clay your car, even if it's with a fine grade clay, you could end up marring the paint. If there's any left over wax or sealant or coating on your car, the Permanon won't bond properly.

You know about Xpel. That's the best way to protect your paint.

If you want some detailing adventure (as I do!) and you really want to apply something durable to the paint to help it restore the glossy shine and depth, decontaminate the car, clay the car, polish the car, prep the paint and apply Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light +/- EXOv2 or Gyeon Mohs. 22PLE is another good prosumer coating brand.

Aside from CQuartz Finest and Modesta, which are for certified detailers, those are probably the best options for coating. Permanon - not so great.

Good luck! Will you apply the Permanon as well to the windshield in an effort to ameliorate any existing micropitting and as a preventative for any future chips or pitting in the glass?

I have more micropitting and chips in the windshield glass than in all of the car's O-CPd paint.

Yes, it's recommended for the glass and wheels and even the interior. We'll see.

Apparently Edmond (Carl) has been banned for "commercial activity" (Which I disagree with). He asked me to forward this message:

I guess I give up on TMC. They've bothered to ban my IP. My only crime was offering free samples in PMs to a few influential members.

Would you please let the following members know that I can't forward their free samples of Permanon which they've asked for? If you can't please let me know so I can send them a letter or something.

HankLloydRight

TaoJones

SUPRKAR

artsci

Or post something in artsci's Permanon thread in the Exterior forum. I don't want them to think this was my choice or that I've forgotten.

Best,
Carl

Apparently Edmond (Carl) has been banned for "commercial activity" (Which I disagree with). He asked me to forward this message:

Thanks for posting. Perhaps Carl will consider the TM fora instead.

I'm surprised that he was banned for commercial activity when he's clearly in the free sample/giving things away for the potential benefit of the community stage. When he gets to the point of actually selling something/quoting an actual price/deriving penny one of revenue (not to be confused with profit) from his posts would be when I would expect to see the vendor tag attached to his posts.

Hopefully I will still receive a sample as I've already provided him a mailing address. Will share the results if that happens.

Last edited:
It's too good to be true. I've used some Permanon products before, and even with a fully detailed and prepped surface, I didn't get any longevity out of it. Dwindling interest in the detailing community.

A couple other things: it'll take a lot more than SimpleGreen to remove a quality sealant and quality wax from your car. It definitely won't remove any ceramic coating or Opticoat that you may have applied. Additionally, if you clay your car, even if it's with a fine grade clay, you could end up marring the paint. If there's any left over wax or sealant or coating on your car, the Permanon won't bond properly.

You know about Xpel. That's the best way to protect your paint.

If you want some detailing adventure (as I do!) and you really want to apply something durable to the paint to help it restore the glossy shine and depth, decontaminate the car, clay the car, polish the car, prep the paint and apply Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light +/- EXOv2 or Gyeon Mohs. 22PLE is another good prosumer coating brand.

Aside from CQuartz Finest and Modesta, which are for certified detailers, those are probably the best options for coating. Permanon - not so great.

Kevin I saw a picture of a Tesla before/after with the Crystal Serum Light and it was awesome! Do you recommend doing the Crystal Serum Light and a full body wrap from Xpel? Or is that over doing it? New to this whole "paint care" thing and I really want to make this car shine for as long as possible.

Brian

STLBrian,

I think it depends on what you ultimately want. If it's protection from rock strikes, fine scratching, humps and bumps, then I'd go for Xpel. CSL does offer some clear coat protection, but you're talking about a few of microns of protection; Modesta advertises 3-5 microns. Xpel claims 8 mils of thickness -- basically 200 microns! Any liquid application can't compete with that level of protection.

Both are glossy.

Both are hydrophobic and protect against the elements. But, Xpel protects more.

CSL is $70/bottle and takes experience/time to apply on a corrected automobile. Obviously you can do this yourself if you follow a reasonable protocol.

Xpel (at least in my neck of the woods) would have cost me $8000 to apply.

Generally you would have Xpel put on first and then a coating on top of that. I personally don't understand this, but clear bras can swirl. Maybe that's the benefit.

If you're going for looks, both look great. If you're going for real protection, Xpel wins hands down.

I'm a detail freak anyway, so I like to try different coatings and products. My hood, however, has suffered a little bit over the past three years with rock strikes and debris from the highways. :(

The Permanon Aircraft Supershine was applied to my car today following the recommended steps. A full wash with Simplegreen Extreme Aircraft to remove all previous finishes, clay bar, then misting on the Permian, wiping it down before it dries, and all done with distilled water. You apply it on everything: glass, wheels, and tires. I didn't use more than 50ml and have a large spray bottle left for future touch ups.

The results are outstanding. One of my neighbors remarked on the difference. In fact he thought I might have bought a new car:)

I'm a believer. This stuff is fabulous. Supershine is the right name for sure.

Here are a few shots of the refinished car. Believe me it looks even better live.

DSC_7244.jpg

DSC_7248.jpg

DSC_7250.jpg

Last edited:
Holy bejesus, @artsci - that looks fantastic. I get a similar mirror effect in the paint from what I've done so far (pretty much just Opti-Coat Pro and a recent dose of Aqua) and then after a wash/rinse with ONR, but not the collective effect from the glass and everything else. That (every surface in those pics) just glows. Nicely done.

WOW!

Where do you pick up this stuff? Google search didn't get me very far on suppliers in the US.

The Permanon web site link provided by Takumi is not the place to go. The only source I was able to find that sells the Permanon Aircraft Supershine is jetshineusa.com. This, not other Permanon products, is what I used. FYI I bought a 250ml bottle of Aircraft Supershine ($78.65) and a Hudson 24oz all angle trigger sprayer, which was used for misting the Permanon onto the car surfaces. I placed 100ml of the Permanon into the sprayer then diluted it with 2.5 cups of distilled water for 10 percent solution, which is recommended for the first application. The instructions have to be followed precisely. and I mean precisely -- no cutting corners. The distilled water is especially important. I bought 12 gallon jugs of distilled water (in my area sold by Walmart) for all of the washing and other work required and used it all up. Removing all of the old wax and other finishes is critical and the SimpGreen Aircraft Extreme makes pretty easy work of this part of the job.

You may be aware that several years ago I did some very rigorous testing of all of the finish waxes and polishes popular at the time. I concluded then based on the tests for shine and durability that Glare produced the best results. For folks dedicated to a particular brand this was not a popular conclusion but I had systematic test results to document it. My tests at the time were intended to cut through all of the B.S. claims for these kinds of products, and automotive finish products IMHO define the world of B.S. One might argue with the testing methods I used but at least I had some methods, not just subjective judgments.

Permanon Aircraft Supershine is clearly superior (that is a subjective judgment) but the shine just jumps and the car almost glows. Durability is a question, but I have half the solution left and it's so easy to apply (almost no work other than spraying it on and wiping it off with a quality microfiber cloth before it dries).

I have no stake in this and I've never been dedicated to a particular brand or product. I did this as a test and based on some of the negative posts on TMC the results far exceeded my expectations. Now all my Glare products and other finish products go in the trash bin. I have about half of the diluted 10 percent solution of the Aircraft Supershine left, which is good for 6 months. As recommended, I'll add distilled water to dilute it to 5 percent and apply it about once a month after my car is washed. That should answer the durability question.

Last edited: