TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Permit for NEMA 14-50 install?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by spaghetti, May 17, 2013.

1. spaghetti

spaghetti Member

While I am waiting for my MS to be built, I am trying to scope out the NEMA 14-50 install. One question that came to my mind is whether people are getting city permits prior to the install? Would appreciate some guidance. Thanks in advance.

2. joshuaeven

joshuaeven Member

I had to get a permit for my install. I figure it's not something I wanted to go under-the-table with, as in the event of something HORRIBLE happening, I want to be covered.

3. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

No permit required in WA state; not sure about CA.

4. Andrew

Andrew Model S #6151

In Santa Monica, CA: We put in a second panel + meter so we definitely had to get a permit. The good news was that $224 of the $225 fee was covered by a gov't program to encourage EV adoption. I think it was a state program, but it may be LA county or maybe even Santa Monica...not sure (the guy behind the counter wasn't clear where the money was coming from, and I didn't want to ask too many questions!).

5. spatterso911

spatterso911 MSP#7577 **--** MX#1891

Permit required in CA.

6. spaghetti

spaghetti Member

Thanks everyone for the quick replies.

7. deonb

deonb Active Member

Only no permit if you do it yourself. If an electrician however does the work, they need a permit. I could do it myself, but figured $300 is worth paying to transfer any liability over to the electricians' insurance instead initially, and later be able to show the inspection report to mine if required.

I actually ended up knowing more than the electrician (Yes, you REALLY need a 50A breaker even though the charger says it draws 40A... for crying out loud, that's basic stuff ?? ), so I ended up supervising him, but I still sleep better at night knowing it was done "by the book".

8. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

Parts were less than $35 and my quote was ~$800 with a ~$50 permit fee. Took me about 30 minutes to pop in the breaker, route the Romex wire and mount the box. Thanks to FlasherZ!

9. deonb

deonb Active Member

Weird difference. Mine was $125 for a permit + inspection, and $175 for the labor. (I supplied the parts).

10. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

Lucky you. I did the install myself. My parts costs $300. But then again, I had about 110ft run of 6/3 cable from box to garage. Buying 125ft of that is not cheap :( still cheaper than paying an electrician to do it and getting a permit :)

11. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

No permit needed in Tennessee. I installed myself and it was $125 in parts the vast majority was the 35' of 4 wire #6. I did have to get a permit for the solar panels but at $20 I am not complaining.

12. PhilBa

PhilBa Active Member

#12 PhilBa, May 17, 2013
    Last edited: May 17, 2013
    Actually, for Seattle and Shoreline (where I live), you technically need a permit but a licensed electrician will just do it for you. Try to stay away from Seattle City Light, they have a completely bureaucratic and inefficient approach. And, if you need to increase your service (say, by 100 Amps) it will take months and require around 6 visits before the work actually happens. Believe it or not, they are actually worse than Comcast for inefficiency.

Reminds of a variant on an old joke - Q: What is yellow, has 4 wheels and sleeps 6? A: A Seattle City Light truck.

Here's a link to the Seattle permit information http://www.seattle.gov/DPD/Publications/CAM/cam132.pdf

13. XrstalLens

XrstalLens Model S P1327 VIN P01867

#13 XrstalLens, May 18, 2013
    Last edited: May 18, 2013
    Actually, WA state does require a permit if you're doing anything but swapping out an outlet or switch for the same kind:

From http://apps.leg.wa.gov/WAC/default.aspx?cite=296-46B-901

The Labor & Industries site also has a brochure that spells it out pretty clearly: http://www.lni.wa.gov/IPUB/500-078-000.pdf. Any circuit alterations/additions requires a permit. It doesn't matter what city you're in. No city can make their standards less stringent than what L&I requires.

14. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

In Ontario, Canada a permit from the Electrical Safety Authority is required whether an electrician does it or you do it yourself. A recent amendment to the Ontario code requires a compulsory inspection for any wiring related to EV charging. On the positive side, there is a Provincial rebate of up to 50% of the costs to a maximum of $1,000 for the installation of any approved EVSE.

15. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

The basic rule: check with the AHJ (authority having jurisdiction). In *most* places with permitting laws, permits are required when doing anything other than strict one-for-one replacement. Adding or extending a circuit generally requires a permit where permits are required.

If a permit is required, it is required whether you do the work yourself or if you call a licensed electrician.

You may need a permit but not require an inspection, as in my county. Or, as in the county to the east of mine, you may not need a permit.

In the US, call city hall (if incorporated) or the county zoning office (if not) to check.