Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Permit for NEMA 14-50 install?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In Santa Monica, CA: We put in a second panel + meter so we definitely had to get a permit. The good news was that $224 of the $225 fee was covered by a gov't program to encourage EV adoption. I think it was a state program, but it may be LA county or maybe even Santa Monica...not sure (the guy behind the counter wasn't clear where the money was coming from, and I didn't want to ask too many questions!).

No permit required in WA state; not sure about CA.

Only no permit if you do it yourself. If an electrician however does the work, they need a permit. I could do it myself, but figured $300 is worth paying to transfer any liability over to the electricians' insurance instead initially, and later be able to show the inspection report to mine if required.

I actually ended up knowing more than the electrician (Yes, you REALLY need a 50A breaker even though the charger says it draws 40A... for crying out loud, that's basic stuff ?? ), so I ended up supervising him, but I still sleep better at night knowing it was done "by the book".

Only no permit if you do it yourself. If an electrician however does the work, they need a permit. I could do it myself, but figured $300 is worth paying to transfer any liability over to the electricians' insurance instead initially, and later be able to show the inspection report to mine if required.

I actually ended up knowing more than the electrician (Yes, you REALLY need a 50A breaker even though the charger says it draws 40A... for crying out loud, that's basic stuff ?? ), so I ended up supervising him, but I still sleep better at night knowing it was done "by the book".

Parts were less than $35 and my quote was ~$800 with a ~$50 permit fee. Took me about 30 minutes to pop in the breaker, route the Romex wire and mount the box. Thanks to FlasherZ!

Parts were less than $35 and my quote was ~$800 with a ~$50 permit fee. Took me about 30 minutes to pop in the breaker, route the Romex wire and mount the box. Thanks to FlasherZ!

Lucky you. I did the install myself. My parts costs $300. But then again, I had about 110ft run of 6/3 cable from box to garage. Buying 125ft of that is not cheap :( still cheaper than paying an electrician to do it and getting a permit :)

Actually, for Seattle and Shoreline (where I live), you technically need a permit but a licensed electrician will just do it for you. Try to stay away from Seattle City Light, they have a completely bureaucratic and inefficient approach. And, if you need to increase your service (say, by 100 Amps) it will take months and require around 6 visits before the work actually happens. Believe it or not, they are actually worse than Comcast for inefficiency.

Reminds of a variant on an old joke - Q: What is yellow, has 4 wheels and sleeps 6? A: A Seattle City Light truck.

Here's a link to the Seattle permit information http://www.seattle.gov/DPD/Publications/CAM/cam132.pdf

Last edited:

Actually, WA state does require a permit if you're doing anything but swapping out an outlet or switch for the same kind:

(7) As required by chapter 19.28 RCW or this chapter, an electrical work permit is required for the installation, alteration, or maintenance of all electrical systems or equipment except for:

(a) Travel trailers;

(b) Class A basic electrical work which includes:

(i) The like-in-kind replacement of lamps; a single set of fuses; a single battery smaller than 150 amp hour; contactors, relays, timers, starters, circuit boards, or similar control components; one household appliance; circuit breakers; single-family residential luminaires; up to five snap switches, dimmers, receptacle outlets, thermostats, heating elements, luminaire ballasts with an exact same ballast; component(s) of electric signs, outline lighting, or skeleton neon tubing when replaced on-site by an appropriate electrical contractor and when the sign, outline lighting or skeleton neon tubing electrical system is not modified; one ten horsepower or smaller motor.

For the purposes of this section, "circuit breaker" means a circuit breaker that is used to provide overcurrent protection only for a branch circuit, as defined in NEC 100.

From http://apps.leg.wa.gov/WAC/default.aspx?cite=296-46B-901

The Labor & Industries site also has a brochure that spells it out pretty clearly: http://www.lni.wa.gov/IPUB/500-078-000.pdf. Any circuit alterations/additions requires a permit. It doesn't matter what city you're in. No city can make their standards less stringent than what L&I requires.

Last edited:
The basic rule: check with the AHJ (authority having jurisdiction). In *most* places with permitting laws, permits are required when doing anything other than strict one-for-one replacement. Adding or extending a circuit generally requires a permit where permits are required.

If a permit is required, it is required whether you do the work yourself or if you call a licensed electrician.

You may need a permit but not require an inspection, as in my county. Or, as in the county to the east of mine, you may not need a permit.

In the US, call city hall (if incorporated) or the county zoning office (if not) to check.