TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

Perpendicular Parking

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by ishop4more, Aug 3, 2016.

1. ishop4more

ishop4more Member

Apr 27, 2016
    So, I finally figured out that when the P pops up on the dash, I get a screen that allows me to give my MS "permission" to autopark me.

I routinely back my car into the garage (I realize very few women do this, but I realize now that you're usually more in a hurry to leave than to come home, so it's better to back in for a quick escape).

The first issue is, when I approach my driveway so that my driveway is on the passenger's side, I get the P. However, it is not noticing my driveway (which is 2 cars wide), but my neighbor's driveway (which is one car wide).

I think my car has learned that I back in when I get home (since it knows the garage is there and that it comes home every night to the same place; after a week, it learned where my office is).

Is there any way to "teach" it to park in MY garage (or even driveway), rather than my neighbor's? Or is there a chance it will learn by itself? I've been letting it start parking, hoping it will turn into my driveway, but always end up aborting when it passes my driveway backing up.

Second, when I'm in a parking garage and I get close enough to cars for mine to detect a perpendicular space, it seems to always find the narrowest space to park in. In other words, I'm confident it will go in without hitting anything, but then I won't be able to squeeze out from the car. Is that something I'm going to have to live with?

Any hints or tips?
  2. mrElbe

mrElbe Member

Aug 17, 2014
    Stouffville, ON Canada
    For perpendicular parking it will only find single spaces because it needs a car on either side for the sensors to respond.
  3. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

Apr 8, 2015
    A car or a post. I have had the P show up in my parking garage between a parked car and a garage post. I never tried to see it'd work or not.