Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Persistent Vibration 41-44 mph and again at 83 mph

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2013 Model S P85

Has a vibration in the seat and steering wheel between 41-44 mph and it comes back again at 83-87 mph. So far I have replaced the tires twice, road force balanced the tires numerous times including at the Tesla SC, replaced the OEM wheels with forged wheels, forced balanced the new wheels and tires multiple times, new drive unit, new drive unit motor mounts, multiple suspension bushings, new rotors, alignment... The vibration persists.

Currently the car has been at the service center for over a week and they have not found the source of the vibration. Oddly enough the loaner I have, also has the same exact vibration. I have read many threads of others with a similar issue though no one has posted back with a solution. Looking to see if anyone else has had this specific vibration and what resolved it? Thank you in advance. What we know so far is that it is not wheels or tires, brakes, rotors, or bushings. Would love it if another member here had this and had it resolved. Thanks for reading.

I have a similar issue to what you describe in my 2018 Model X 100D. I understand what you are dealing with. It's not shaking the wheel violently so it is hard to diagnose. The vibration I have is like holding a cell phone on vibrate all the time at any speed over 30 mph. Usually theses sorts of vibrations are due to tire balance so that is what service focuses on. The vibration in my X has persisted through two sets of tires and multiple road force balances. I am convinced it is not tire balance at this point.

I took it to the service center to see if they could check other things besides the tires like suspension, alignment, bearings, CV joints or half shafts. I told them the vibration had been the same with both sets of tires and a road force balance. Service didn't check anything, just did another tire balance, and charged me for it. The issue was exactly the same.

Now trying another service center. I'll report back if they end up finding the issue and fixing it. I am not optimistic.

I have a similar issue to what you describe in my 2018 Model X 100D. I understand what you are dealing with. It's not shaking the wheel violently so it is hard to diagnose. The vibration I have is like holding a cell phone on vibrate all the time at any speed over 30 mph. Usually theses sorts of vibrations are due to tire balance so that is what service focuses on. The vibration in my X has persisted through two sets of tires and multiple road force balances. I am convinced it is not tire balance at this point.

I took it to the service center to see if they could check other things besides the tires like suspension, alignment, bearings, CV joints or half shafts. I told them the vibration had been the same with both sets of tires and a road force balance. Service didn't check anything, just did another tire balance, and charged me for it. The issue was exactly the same.

Now trying another service center. I'll report back if they end up finding the issue and fixing it. I am not optimistic.

Would love to hear any follow up if you find a solution. My car has been in for over a week and they still have not diagnosed the issue successfully.

I had this issue on my 2016 90D and it turned out to be one of the rims out or round. It would road force balance with weights to compensate but not enough. SC has to put on another set of rims/tires to first eliminate the vibration and then start testing one wheel at a time. Eventually found it and replaced the rim. Out of round is not noticeable to the eye. Ie. not curb rash or any definitive warp noticed.

• Informative
Reactions: Cowbell and User01
That sounds like an awful lot of time and money spent so far. I would start with an inspection of the suspension components and tires for uneven wear. If you have access to another set of wheels/tires, I would swap them on for a test drive to eliminate that as the culprit. I'd suspect it has more to do with the front-end than the rear since you're citing steer wheel vibrations, so I would look at the ball joints, wheel bearings, and steering components. I'm not sure if a wobble in the control arms would cause it, but there have been a few cases of broken control arms on this forum.

From my experience with other cars, I've had some road noise and vibrations due to tires (Pirelli Scorpion Verde got super loud at 40-45mph and 64-68mph once they hit 50% treadwear) and another instance where the rear wheel bearings were shot on my 300K mile old VW TDI...that was very loud experience in an already loud car!

That sounds like an awful lot of time and money spent so far. I would start with an inspection of the suspension components and tires for uneven wear. If you have access to another set of wheels/tires, I would swap them on for a test drive to eliminate that as the culprit. I'd suspect it has more to do with the front-end than the rear since you're citing steer wheel vibrations, so I would look at the ball joints, wheel bearings, and steering components. I'm not sure if a wobble in the control arms would cause it, but there have been a few cases of broken control arms on this forum.

From my experience with other cars, I've had some road noise and vibrations due to tires (Pirelli Scorpion Verde got super loud at 40-45mph and 64-68mph once they hit 50% treadwear) and another instance where the rear wheel bearings were shot on my 300K mile old VW TDI...that was very loud experience in an already loud car!

The tires and wheels are brand new, also tested against a known good set off another vehicle. At this point I agree about the suspension but so many of the bushings have been replaced. I think Tesla is stumped as they just send a message every day the car will need to stay overnight while they attempt to diagnose the issue. Fingers crossed.

The answer is simple hit 88mph or use the Tesla App

Tesla-easter-egg-back-to-the-future.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: Maximapolak
2013 Model S P85

Has a vibration in the seat and steering wheel between 41-44 mph and it comes back again at 83-87 mph. So far I have replaced the tires twice, road force balanced the tires numerous times including at the Tesla SC, replaced the OEM wheels with forged wheels, forced balanced the new wheels and tires multiple times, new drive unit, new drive unit motor mounts, multiple suspension bushings, new rotors, alignment... The vibration persists.

Currently the car has been at the service center for over a week and they have not found the source of the vibration. Oddly enough the loaner I have, also has the same exact vibration. I have read many threads of others with a similar issue though no one has posted back with a solution. Looking to see if anyone else has had this specific vibration and what resolved it? Thank you in advance. What we know so far is that it is not wheels or tires, brakes, rotors, or bushings. Would love it if another member here had this and had it resolved. Thanks for reading.

Axle issue? On my old VW Golf I had the exact same issue. Lots of vibration around 30-40, and then a lot a high speeds around 80. Replacing the axle fixed it. Here’s something similar to yours, but under acceleration he got “clunks”. Model S "Axle" problems | Tesla

Reactions: BigNick
Wanted to give an update on my Model x vibration. Just got it back from the service center. They just said everything is in spec and normal and didn't attempt to actually diagnose it in any way shape or form. Prior to this I had several coworkers and friends test drive the car to prove that I was not crazy. Everybody could feel the vibration. I also tested their cars on the same route and felt no vibration.

So now two different service centers both neglected to even attempt to diagnose this vibration in any way or provide any assistance or suggestions.

So just like everyone keeps saying it seems Tesla service has indeed gone downhill. I was planning to buy another Model X to replace our gas car but this poor experience is going to make it very difficult to pull the trigger on that. I'm really sad more than anything here.

Good luck diagnosing and fixing your vibration issue OP.

Got the car back today. The following items were replaced and vibration at lower speeds is gone. High speed vibration still persists though drastically improved. Below is the text from the repair order, it appears they had to go through several drive units to get a good one. Im most frustrated that I spent so much on wheels and tires based on a misdiagnosis. Since April I have been taking the car in for this concern.

Verified reported concern. Performed extensive testing and road tests. Found vibration emanating from rear drive unit assembly at approximately 45-50 mph. Inspected all mounts for rear subframe. Found both rear upper control links and integral link assembly worn, contributing to vibration. Removed and replaced both rear upper control links and integral link assembly on line #5. Found internal fault in rear drive unit. Removed and replaced rear drive unit assembly. Performed partial coolant bleed and refill. Updated vehicle firmware. Road tested vehicle. Found humming noise present at approximately 45-50 mph. Found newly installed drive unit causing reported noise. Removed and replaced rear drive unit on line #4. Verified vehicle operating as expected following repairs.

Verified reported concern. Performed extensive testing and road tests. Found vibration emanating from rear drive unit assembly at approximately 45-50 mph. Inspected all mounts for rear subframe. Found both rear upper control links and integral link assembly worn, contributing to vibration. Removed and replaced both rear upper control links and integral link assembly on line #5. Found internal fault in rear drive unit. Removed and replaced rear drive unit assembly. Performed partial coolant bleed and refill. Updated vehicle firmware. Road tested vehicle. Found humming noise present at approximately 45-50 mph. Found newly installed drive unit causing reported noise. Removed and replaced rear drive unit on line #4. Verified vehicle operating as expected following repairs.

I am impressed that they actually diagnosed and solved the issue (mostly). Your persistence paid off. It sounds like the Tampa service center is one of the good ones.

How much did Tesla Service charge you for the above work? Did you buy the extended warranty on your 2013 Model S P85?

I am impressed that they actually diagnosed and solved the issue (mostly). Your persistence paid off. It sounds like the Tampa service center is one of the good ones.

How much did Tesla Service charge you for the above work? Did you buy the extended warranty on your 2013 Model S P85?

******UPDATE***** Vibration is back with a vengeance. So far the cost includes wheels and tires (Per Tesla mis-diagnosis), road force balance, alignment, and above listed Tesla repairs (another mis-diagnosis) I am well into the 3k range. I took a longer highway journey this morning and the vibration at 75+ rattled me enough to send me into a shouting rage... I will head back in the morning with my shiatsu massage Tesla, maybe they will get lucky and guess correctly this time. It just irks me when they confidently declare "problem solved". I have to wonder, is this some interoffice game they play to see who can get a customer to pay the most before actually fixing the problem.......

I took a longer highway journey this morning and the vibration at 75+ rattled me enough to send me into a shouting rage.

I'm sorry but I had to laugh. This was me a few weeks ago after the service center balanced my tires and claimed the vibration was gone. As soon as I pulled on to the highway I felt the vibration exactly as it had been. I just yelled FUUUU***** and was sad. These vibration issues are maddening. I am only a couple hundred bucks in to my quest against the vibration. I'm guessing I will be well into the thousands by the end of this.

Please keep us updated as you try to solve this.

Incredible (not in a good way).

So they had some faulty drive units off their shelf and had to go through a few to find a good one...not exactly a confidence-lifter. It sounds like they gave it an honest try to resolve the issue, but I'm wondering if it's not any of those components, perhaps the geometry of the parts is the issue. For instance, there might be a tolerance issue with the drive unit or axle that might need a shim or something. I'm surprised they have no idea, I would think they would've asked all Tesla Service Centers and factories if they've experienced such a thing. It sounds like they are throwing parts at it similarly how you were throwing wheels and tires at it. Consult those who have experience, this cannot be the first and only instance of speed specific vibration.

• Love
Reactions: CyberShy
I had the same exact issue two years ago. Vibration under acceleration at approximately 55 MPH and again while cruising at 80-85 MPH. Tesla replaced my 19" wheels with 21" to test, problem persisted. They performed alignment, replaced rear half-shafts, all four air struts, and drive unit. Problem persisted. Car was road force balanced by Discount Tire twice, problem persisted.

Do you know what finally solved the problem? It's absolutely ridiculous... I got a really good Tesla service tech the final go-round who took extra care in road force balancing my tires. He said there was an issue despite having it done multiple times elsewhere. That did the trick. I don't know if the road force balancing machines are prone to mis-calibration or other issues, but in my case that solved the problem. All work (except for alignment) was warranted under my 100,000 mile ESA.

Do you know what finally solved the problem? It's absolutely ridiculous... I got a really good Tesla service tech the final go-round who took extra care in road force balancing my tires. He said there was an issue despite having it done multiple times elsewhere. That did the trick. I don't know if the road force balancing machines are prone to mis-calibration or other issues, but in my case that solved the problem. All work (except for alignment) was warranted under my 100,000 mile ESA.

Did they tell you what the issue was? Was it just a matter of getting the road force down to a low number? Tesla Service road force balanced my tires but they set one to 180° of where it should have been. This caused road force to be over 50 pounds (max spec is 30). Later I took it to Discount Tire and they made it better but I still feel the vibration. I've read that you can feel anything over 20 pounds of force and under 10 is ideal.

To try and solve my case I bought a second set of OEM wheels and I'm going to try a new set of tires. Between two sets of rims and two sets of tires I am hoping to lower the road force to under 20 pounds or better. I have an excellent Discount Tire near me and they assure me that they can do it. We will see.

Did they tell you what the issue was? Was it just a matter of getting the road force down to a low number? Tesla Service road force balanced my tires but they set one to 180° of where it should have been. This caused road force to be over 50 pounds (max spec is 30). Later I took it to Discount Tire and they made it better but I still feel the vibration. I've read that you can feel anything over 20 pounds of force and under 10 is ideal.

To try and solve my case I bought a second set of OEM wheels and I'm going to try a new set of tires. Between two sets of rims and two sets of tires I am hoping to lower the road force to under 20 pounds or better. I have an excellent Discount Tire near me and they assure me that they can do it. We will see.
I vaguely remember he said the balance was not right despite having it done twice previously at two different Discount Tires. The vibration in a specific speed range is a classic symptom of a balance issue. The other question to ask yourself is where do you feel it the most? If it's in the seat, that is indicative of an issue in the rear. If it's primarily in the steering wheel, that is indicative of an issue in the front. That may help narrow it down.

Reactions: byeLT4 and User01
****Update****. Took it in today and was informed that rear axles and hubs are new and vibration persists. The tech said there are really no other viable parts to replace and returned to the wheel theory, right where we started......

The vibration is enough that it can vibrate your voice if your on the phone when it really washes over the car. It’s both in the steering wheel and in the seat. My gut tells me it’s in the rear but i have no idea. Most recent road force on the car had each wheel under 8lbs which is darn near the best I’ve ever seen. (Done by a local high end wheel shop)

I have an appointment in 3 weeks and the Forman is going to put a set of known good wheels and tires on to rule that out. If that does not solve the issue they explained that they are out of solutions and at the end of the day the car is “safe to drive”.

I test drove a CLA 45 AMG today, they offered me quite a bit for the trade of my S and to be honest I’m at a 50/50 point of being done with the brand. I don’t want to get caught in the “sunk cost fallacy”. I am pretty down and out about it though.

Attachments

• E1D9827F-1752-4373-B91C-1C127A45DCBC.jpeg
    E1D9827F-1752-4373-B91C-1C127A45DCBC.jpeg
    391.5 KB · Views: 254