Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Personal Charging Infrastructure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently have 3 EVs in the family, 2014 Tesla Model S85, 2017 Chevy Volt, and 2017 Chevy Bolt. The Volt will be replaced this summer by a Tesla Model 3.

My current Personal Charging Infrastructure consists of 1 HPWC on a dedicated 100 amp and 2 Juicebox 40 Pros load balanced on a shared 50 amp circuit. I have monitored how the Juicebox systems load balance and plugging in the 2 Chevy EVs at the same time has never exceeded 38 amps. The Juiceboxs appear to work similar to A B Tesla Superchargers, as one EV ramps up current the other is limited until the first EV starts ramping down. I initially tested this by plugging in my Model S with max 40 amp and the Bolt EV with max 32 amp. Depending upon which EV plugged in first the other EV was Juicebox current limited until the first EV started ramping down current draw.

Note: Load balancing only works on the Juicebox Pro models as load balance requires Wifi.
JuiceBox PCIS.jpg

This question has to do with an unexpected loss of range after my Model S 60 sat unused for a day and a half. When I tried to warm up interior this morning, Tesla app informed me I didn't have enough charge -- only 41 miles, compared to 140 or so when I put the car in the garage on Friday night. I'm retired and usually charge the car every other day to 188 miles for daily use. Anyone else experience this?

I charged the car for a couple of hours to 100 miles, did my errand, returned and plugged it in again.

I currently have 3 EVs in the family, 2014 Tesla Model S85, 2017 Chevy Volt, and 2017 Chevy Bolt. The Volt will be replaced this summer by a Tesla Model 3.

My current Personal Charging Infrastructure consists of 1 HPWC on a dedicated 100 amp and 2 Juicebox 40 Pros load balanced on a shared 50 amp circuit. I have monitored how the Juicebox systems load balance and plugging in the 2 Chevy EVs at the same time has never exceeded 38 amps. The Juiceboxs appear to work similar to A B Tesla Superchargers, as one EV ramps up current the other is limited until the first EV starts ramping down. I initially tested this by plugging in my Model S with max 40 amp and the Bolt EV with max 32 amp. Depending upon which EV plugged in first the other EV was Juicebox current limited until the first EV started ramping down current draw.

Note: Load balancing only works on the Juicebox Pro models as load balance requires Wifi. View attachment 278089
Nice setup! Lots of flexibility (assuming you can reach both Teslas with both the wall connector and the Juicebox wherever they are parked...). Do you plan to get another J1772 adapter and leave it on the EVSE so you don't have to remember to take it with you, then drag it back out again when you get home?

This question has to do with an unexpected loss of range after my Model S 60 sat unused for a day and a half. When I tried to warm up interior this morning, Tesla app informed me I didn't have enough charge -- only 41 miles, compared to 140 or so when I put the car in the garage on Friday night. I'm retired and usually charge the car every other day to 188 miles for daily use. Anyone else experience this?

I charged the car for a couple of hours to 100 miles, did my errand, returned and plugged it in again.
Note that turning on heat remotely from the app now turns the heat on and it stays on until you turn it off -- it used to have a time limit. Is it possible you turned on climate control remotely or set it to stay on from the screen? If the heat were on, it would run until the battery was down to 20% before shutting off. Do the math and figure out how many miles 20% is...

Nice setup! Lots of flexibility (assuming you can reach both Teslas with both the wall connector and the Juicebox wherever they are parked...). Do you plan to get another J1772 adapter and leave it on the EVSE so you don't have to remember to take it with you, then drag it back out again when you get home?

My Model S came with 2 J1772 adapters and the plan is to leave 1 attached to the Juicebox. The Model 3 will go in the garage and the Bolt will sit outside.

Reactions: BerTX

Any EV will lose range in extreme cold.

Thermally managed systems like Tesla and Chevys Bolt lose more due to the battery management system optimizing battery conditions.

On the plus side an EV will at least start and run in extreme cold unlike my Subuaru Outback that required road side assistance at my workplace.

Note that turning on heat remotely from the app now turns the heat on and it stays on until you turn it off -- it used to have a time limit. Is it possible you turned on climate control remotely or set it to stay on from the screen? If the heat were on, it would run until the battery was down to 20% before shutting off. Do the math and figure out how many miles 20% is...

I noticed that if you are in your car with climate off, open the Tesla app and remotely turn on climate then change the screen to disable always on setting. The car remembers the last climate setting state when turning on remotely.

• Informative
turning on heat remotely from the app now turns the heat on and it stays on until you turn it off

BTDTGTTS :(

Alexa misunderstood something and turned on the TEsla Climate. That was over Christmas, we didn't have any need to go anywhere,a d I only discovered three days later when getting into the car and finding it surprisingly warm ... and then checking TeslaFi logs ... and finally Alexa logs ...

My $0.02 = Leave-climate-on-indefinitely should be a CONFIG option, not a retrospective OTA change with no ability to disable.