Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i have a tesla, and want to install a charging station for my parking space at my office. as this is a long term office lease, i'm thinking about installing a charging station that can accommodate other models besides Tesla if i ever decide to switch. what model is best that i can currently use for tesla that will give me greatest options for any car later on down the road

How long is a piece of string? It all depends. If you want compatibility with other vehicles, you'll want to install an EVSE (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment) that uses the J1772 standard (and connector), which is pretty much everything that's on the market other than the Tesla systems. Tesla includes a J1772 adapter with every vehicle, so you can use these EVSEs with Tesla vehicles.

I personally like the OpenEVSE solution. This is an open-source EVSE. While you previously needed to purchase and assemble OpenEVSE kits, they now offer pre-assembled units.

Another common option is the systems from ClipperCreek. They have been in the EVSE for a LONG time and have excellent customer support. You can find many stories here on TMC of ClipperCreek working to resolve any problems that arrive. I personally had them advance ship a replacement for a compatibility issue on my LEAF when charging timers were active.

If you want access control and the ability to bill people that use your charging station, you can look at the ChargePoint and WattZilla product lines. Both of these products offer access controls and billing options.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H and BerTX
Most J1772 charging stations only have 30A output (designed years ago mostly for Leafs and Volts) which will charge your Tesla significantly more slowly than a Tesla HPWC or pluging your Tesla into a 14-50 outlet. One exception is the Clipper Creek CS-100, which uses a 100A circuit and has 80A output:
70/80A Level 2 EVSE CS-100 Hardwired | ClipperCreek

You will see it's much more expensive than a Tesla HPWC though. It depends how much extra you're willing to pay to be nice to drivers of non-Tesla EVs

I would also recommend a Clipper Creek unit. I also agree that for all day long charging at work, you sure don't need a 100A circuit. 30 to 50 amps would be fine. An HCS-40 is one of their most popular, and it's $565.