Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Personal comparison between 85 Air Suspension and 85 Coil Suspension

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since the plus-suspension is discontineud, replaced with only softer air suspension, I think the only way to go now is coils if you want handling and road feel. However, coils sit very high and has to be lowered at least 1 inch IMO.

I know this thread is a year old, but I'm looking at buying a Model S, and so here I am. Unfortunately, most of the comments comparing the coil vs. air suspension seem to focus on how bumpy the ride is. I currently have an Audi S4 B6 (V8) with a very stiff ride; I don't care how bumpy it is as I'm not here for a luxury ride (I would buy Model 3 instead of the "luxury car" S if the 3 was currently shipping). So what I'm interested in is handling -- not on a straightaway, but on twisty, hilly, country roads.

Any input?
It's really tough.. there have been various component changes to both the air and coil suspensions over the lifespan of the MS making these comparisons (even when on the same size wheel and same tires and same road, etc) semi-unreliable.

You best bet is to test drive the car you have your eye on... Personally I have the coils and do find the ride rougher than the loaners I've gotten with the air suspension (including a P85+ with air which is supposedly set up a little stiffer)... I also feel like my coils "float" a little bit when cornering hard... but i'm not sure if that's a roll bar problem or the coils... again, there have been changes too, and mine is an early VIN... i'm not a professional driver, have never tracked, and don't know much about car suspensions... so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt.

I will say though that I liked the way the P85+ with air suspension drove just a little bit more than my P85 on coils. LOLACHAMP has a good thread on the various changes to suspension and what he's done to analyze the coil vs air... in his opinion the best setup for tracking (and he has experience there) was coils but lowered just a touch IIRC... but it's been a while since I read it.

- - - Updated - - -

also don't forget the difference of feel between the "D" cars versus "RWD" MS's

I have the coils on my P85D. I prefer them. Not for cost reasons, for ride, comfort, control, and longevity. I had air suspension on my E63 AMG, my Audi S6.... I prefer the coils.

It's really tough.. there have been various component changes to both the air and coil suspensions over the lifespan of the MS making these comparisons (even when on the same size wheel and same tires and same road, etc) semi-unreliable.

You best bet is to test drive the car you have your eye on... Personally I have the coils and do find the ride rougher than the loaners I've gotten with the air suspension (including a P85+ with air which is supposedly set up a little stiffer)... I also feel like my coils "float" a little bit when cornering hard... but i'm not sure if that's a roll bar problem or the coils... again, there have been changes too, and mine is an early VIN... i'm not a professional driver, have never tracked, and don't know much about car suspensions... so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt.

I will say though that I liked the way the P85+ with air suspension drove just a little bit more than my P85 on coils. LOLACHAMP has a good thread on the various changes to suspension and what he's done to analyze the coil vs air... in his opinion the best setup for tracking (and he has experience there) was coils but lowered just a touch IIRC... but it's been a while since I read it.

- - - Updated - - -

also don't forget the difference of feel between the "D" cars versus "RWD" MS's

We have the coils on our 2013 S85 and the air on our P90D. My other car is an Exige.

I prefer the air suspension myself but neither one handles wonderfully. Coils are slightly more connected, but it's still a big heavy car. It will not be stiff with coils. I find the air more composed in general.