Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Personal experiences/stories with aggressive drivers in this season

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I've had my new 100D for about a month now and I've got to say I feel like the drivers (at least here in the bay area) are driving more aggressively and erratically than before the covid/SIP mandate went into place around March of this year. I've already been cut off and tailed more times in a month than a year of driving in my old compact SUV. I'm almost never in Autopilot so I don't accidentally phantom break or scare other drivers so I can't figure out if the aggression is due to the sensitive times we're living in right now or because certain people genuinely don't like Tesla drivers. That being said, this is my first luxury and/or "sport" vehicle so perhaps it's more common for sports car drivers to experience more aggression from other drivers? I'd be interested to hear if you guys have any thoughts or similar experiences.

So I've had my new 100D for about a month now and I've got to say I feel like the drivers (at least here in the bay area) are driving more aggressively and erratically than before the covid/SIP mandate went into place around March of this year. I've already been cut off and tailed more times in a month than a year of driving in my old compact SUV. I'm almost never in Autopilot so I don't accidentally phantom break or scare other drivers so I can't figure out if the aggression is due to the sensitive times we're living in right now or because certain people genuinely don't like Tesla drivers. That being said, this is my first luxury and/or "sport" vehicle so perhaps it's more common for sports car drivers to experience more aggression from other drivers? I'd be interested to hear if you guys have any thoughts or similar experiences.

CA is full of bad drivers. i don't think anybody cares you have a tesla in the bay, they're like the camry's of silicon valley. more importantly...which lane were you in? if they're tailgating you in the right lane, they are just shitty. if you're blocking people in the left lane, that's on you

Independent of the pandemic, I find a lot of muscle cars and BMW's, just wanna tail gate a Tesla, then pass and pull in front.

It doesn't happen with me, cause I only need to breath on the pedal to take care of it.....Ludicrous
I wouldn’t be so sure about that one.

Also from my experience with tailgating folk and other aggressive drivers is different, I’d say nearly all of them have been in lifted trucks. In fact I’ve been coal rolled a few times by dudes in pick ups. And each time I got blood boiling mad, makes me wonder why they feel so comfortable doing that, I could be a crazy person ready to snap.... The last time my wife had to calm me down. I was ready to go back to prison

Also from my experience with tailgating folk and other aggressive drivers is different, I’d say nearly all of them have been in lifted trucks. In fact I’ve been coal rolled a few times by dudes in pick ups. And each time I got blood boiling mad, makes me wonder why they feel so comfortable doing that, I could be a crazy person ready to snap.... The last time my wife had to calm me down. I was ready to go back to prison
What is coal rolled? Yeah it’s interesting that many pickup drivers are heavy footed. I’d be too concerned with mpg

Watching local news throughout the quarantine, there never seemed to be a shortage of wrecks, even when traffic was at its lowest.

I feel like people around here didn't have traffic to keep them from going as fast as their car could, so they were finding the handling limits of their cars with mostly bald tires at 90mph. I was more scared to drive on the roads around here during the height of the shutdown even though the roads were pretty empty. Too many folks driving waaaay too fast.

I feel like people around here didn't have traffic to keep them from going as fast as their car could, so they were finding the handling limits of their cars with mostly bald tires at 90mph. I was more scared to drive on the roads around here during the height of the shutdown even though the roads were pretty empty. Too many folks driving waaaay too fast.

ca drivers have always been aggressive and most don't maintain their cars. why change your tires? no need for tread right? it never rains here :rolleyes:

I’ve found that before Model 3 came out young drivers would pull these Tesla-targeting antics all the time. They had likely seen all the YouTube videos of Model S beating supercars in drag races and wanted to brag to friends that they burned one. Nowadays the “specialness” is gone.

Reactions: aesculus
I have noticed this in SoCal as well. I live 70 miles from the office so I frequent the highway. People right now are out of their damn mind. Driving 80 mph I see so many cars passing me that have no damn business driving that fast due to the type of vehicle and lack of maintenance. I can say I have seen the average speed of drivers increasing over the last few years and yes with the lack of true “traffic” people are out of their damn minds. Also I’m a carpool lane driver but I do drive 80mph and people are all over my ass. If I’m doing 80-85 when the limit is 65, and you want to go faster feel free to go around lol. Lastly I love speed as much or more than most folks but certain vehicles are just not meant to maneuver that fast.

Reactions: Bixby MS and ibdb

I consider it an honor for a dudebro in a big diesel to roll coal for me.

Reactions: AMPd
The coal rolling doesn't bother me since I don't even smell it through the HEPA filter. All that soot just can't be good for the environment though.

The first few months we had the S, I definitely felt I received more attention from Camaros, Bimmers, and MB drivers trying to prove their car was better or more powerful. Interestingly, I didn't get that behavior from Prosche or Corvette owners -- they must be more secure in their masculinity. I rarely drive in the left lane, I'm most comfortable in the middle or right lane (or whichever lane has the least potholes) on my commute. What bugs me are California drivers that ride my tail when they have the left lane to go around. Are they that friggin' lazy? Just got back from a roadtrip to Yellowstone and drivers in Idaho and Wyoming are the best, so courteous and patient and nobody honks their horn over there. I hate California drivers. They should make it harder to get a driver's license in Cali.

Reactions: Bixby MS