Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Personal FSD Beta Disengagement Rate

How often do you have to disengage FSD Beta on your drives? Once every...

• Less than 1 mile

Votes: 6 10.2%
  • 1 - 5 miles

Votes: 26 44.1%
  • 5 - 10 miles

Votes: 10 16.9%
  • 10 - 50 miles

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • 50 - 100 miles

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 100+ miles

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No disengagements ever

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • I'm just here for the results

Votes: 9 15.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Doing a roll call of people's average experience with FSD Beta so far. How often do you have to disengage FSD Beta on your drives?

This includes because it is doing something stupid, dangerous, or just going too slow and annoying other drivers. How often are you taking over from FSD Beta on your drives?

Let's exclude highways (and Autopilot) from this poll please, I am interested in how FSD Beta performs for you on city streets.

Let's call this the personal disengagement rate. I imagine it will be different depending on where you drive. For example, FSD Beta seems to have way worse lane selection for me in Canada than in California. I can probably drive a bit further in California without disengaging than in Canada, but either way I am finding I have to disengage once every 5 miles or less because FSD Beta is doing something stupid, dangerous, or simply taking way too long at an intersection and angering other drivers.

Post your experience!

• Love
Reactions: boonedocks
I've posted this before ...

1661904836852.png

Doing a roll call of people's average experience with FSD Beta so far. How often do you have to disengage FSD Beta on your drives?

This includes because it is doing something stupid, dangerous, or just going too slow and annoying other drivers. How often are you taking over from FSD Beta on your drives?

Let's exclude highways (and Autopilot) from this poll please, I am interested in how FSD Beta performs for you on city streets.

Let's call this the personal disengagement rate. I imagine it will be different depending on where you drive. For example, FSD Beta seems to have way worse lane selection for me in Canada than in California. I can probably drive a bit further in California without disengaging than in Canada, but either way I am finding I have to disengage once every 5 miles or less because FSD Beta is doing something stupid, dangerous, or simply taking way too long at an intersection and angering other drivers.

Post your experience!

I don't have 10.69.x yet so my experience is with 10.12.2. But I get city disengagements every few miles.

Here are a few disengagements, I experience:
- FSD beta moves over to the left turn only lane to make a left turn (so far so good) but then it veers out of the left turn only lane before the intersection.
- FSD Beta needs to go straight but inexplicably veers into the left turn only lane.
- FSD Beta is in the right lane and needs to go 2 lanes over to get into the left turn only lane but there is a car in the left lane so it waits. By the time the car passes, FSD beta can't move over in time and misses the left turn only lane.
- Making a right turn from a main road (55 mph limit) unto a university campus road with a speed limit of 15 mph, the car sees the speed limit sign but things the speed limit is 25 mph so it drives too fast. I need to manually reduce the TACC speed.
- FSD beta is too slow to make a turn even when there is no traffic, annoying cars behind me.
- On a right turn, FSD Beta oversteers and starts crossing the lane edge on the right and jerks the wheel back to the left to self correct.

Last edited:
I don't have 10.69.x yet so my experience is with 10.12.2. But I get city disengagements every few miles.

- FSD beta moves over to the left turn only lane to make a left turn (so far so good) but then it veers out of the left turn only lane before the intersection.
- FSD Beta needs to go straight but inexplicably veers into the left turn only lane.
- FSD Beta is in the right lane and needs to go 2 lanes over to get into the left turn only lane but there is a car in the left lane so it waits. By the time the car passes, FSD beta can't move over in time and misses the left turn only lane.
- Making a right turn from a main road (55 mph limit) unto a university campus road with a speed limit of 15 mph, the car sees the speed limit sign but things the speed limit is 25 mph so it drives too fast. I need to manually reduce the TACC speed.
- FSD beta is too slow to make a turn even when there is no traffic, annoying cars behind me.
- On a right turn, FSD Beta oversteers and starts crossing the lane edge on the right and jerks the wheel back to the left to self correct.
Definitely a lot of lane selection problems. If they can nail pathing, most of the problems are fixed.

Definitely a lot of lane selection problems. If they can nail pathing, most of the problems are fixed.

Lane selection is not an issue for most of my disengagements. Many of my disengagements are related to wide residential streets and FSD drives down the stretch like a drunken sailor. Or slamming brakes in middle of protected left turn at a light. Or accelerating too fast in a turn on to a smaller slower street (takes too long to pick up new speed limit). I’m hoping 10.69 helps with the wide residential street placement. That would probably reduce my local disengagements by a significant amount

• Informative
Reactions: EVNow
Lane selection is not an issue for most of my disengagements. Many of my disengagements are related to wide residential streets and FSD drives down the stretch like a drunken sailor. Or slamming brakes in middle of protected left turn at a light. Or accelerating too fast in a turn on to a smaller slower street (takes too long to pick up new speed limit). I’m hoping 10.69 helps with the wide residential street placement. That would probably reduce my local disengagements by a significant amount
I wonder if the “groups of issues“ are regional. I experience mainly the lane selection issues @diplomat33 listed, but I have rarely (if ever?) experienced the wide residential road without double yellow issues I’ve seen many report. FSD beta generally favors the right side of the road for me just fine, shifts slightly right for oncoming vehicles or left while passing peds and cyclists.

• Helpful
Reactions: Dewg and diplomat33
I don't know how some of these YouTubers are able to achieve such long drives with one intervention or none at all every time a new update is released.

Because they pick specific routes and specific times that favor FSD Beta. If you notice, many of the long "zero intervention" drives are mostly highway drives or drives on well marked main roads with fairly simple navigation and with very little traffic. In fact, handling traffic is one area where FSD Beta really struggles. If you do the drive with no traffic or very little traffic, you reduce those potential issues. When there is no traffic, you reduce driving to basically just navigation which FSD Beta is pretty good at, especially when the roads are well marked.

I don't know how some of these YouTubers are able to achieve such long drives with one intervention or none at all every time a new update is released
You have to watch the YouTube videos and look for errors, and count those. Remember, the YouTubers have no shame. They do not mind scrubbing their wheels or sitting at a stop sign forever, or proceeding very slowly. These things can be hard to notice in videos if you don’t look for them, but they are always there. Especially slow driving or premature slowdowns.

You’ll basically see exactly what you see. There is no mystery.

Post your experience!
I'm on FSD Beta 10.12.2 and I use it mainly on residential streets in Chicago. Most of my disengagements are due to a slow or unnatural driving style that may annoy cars behind me. One situation occurs when coming to a *complete stop* at a 4-way stop sign intersection without other traffic, which is already atypical driving behavior, and then hesitating before advancing through the clear intersection--I will press the pedal to accelerate. Another situation would be driving down the center of an unmarked two-way residential street, only moving over at the last moment for an oncoming vehicle--I will disengage to move completely into my lane before annoying the other driver. A third situation occurs when making a left turn from a single lane main street onto a side street--my car moves to the right before making the left turn. Initially this may look like I am pulling over to the right, confusing the car behind me which may opt to pass me on the left.
If no other cars are directly behind me I will not intervene and the FSD Beta successfully gets through these maneuvers. I am interested to see if 10.69.x improves the smoothness of the driving style in these situations.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Man I want a poll broken down by model and year. Really curious if there are any differences. I am still flabbergasted how bad fsd beta is on my MY 2021. Can’t even locate the left turn lane at a standard boring traffic light on the primary route out of my neighborhood. I think I have sent 200 snapshots.

Reactions: DarkForest

Same experience like you👍

Reactions: diplomat33
People should be disengaging it fairly regularly for a few seconds at a time. It's a beta program. If the lines are all over the place or missing, construction workers are walking out around the cones, crazy drivers being unsafe, the car should not be left too guess what to do at this stage. FSD is a MUCH better product if it's treated this way. It has improved tremendously but make your life easy for now.

It's so annoying that can't it just go straight into the new middle lane when two become three instead of snapping to the right all the time. When you see stuff like that, turn it off and back on again, and the experience improves dramatically. Use FSD like a turn signal, off when appropriate and on when appropriate and it becomes second nature and you dont even think about it. If you sit with your hands folded yelling at Elon that he's not perfect, you are going to be miserable. >95% of my driving miles are on FSD.

Last edited:
Reactions: PVia