Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Personal observations from a Roadster owner who got to test drive several S Models.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I completely agree with the left hand stalks being way to close together. I am constantly hitting the wrong one. While the turn sig/wiper and cruise stalks are different sizes, they are essentially the same exact shape. When I am busy trying to negotiate the road, I do not want to have stop and make sure I have the right sized stalk in my hand. I might just be a spaz. Also, the steering wheel positioning stalk is way too far back and hard to find. It feels crammed into the space. It's not THAT big of a deal, but I really don't want to have to think about such trivial things while driving. Layout could be better.

But honestly, these are pretty small annoyances.

Batteries need to be warmed in cold weather. But I maintain that it is just as wasteful to do that warming with resistance heating as it is to motivate a car with internal combustion. Each has an efficiency of about 20% relative to doing it the energy efficient way. EVs should use a reversible heat pump and be equipped with combustion auxiliary heating as part of an effective cold weather package. Then the electric range would be essentially unaffected by cold.

I also agree with your take on rear seat legroom.

I completely agree with the left hand stalks being way to close together. I am constantly hitting the wrong one. While the turn sig/wiper and cruise stalks are different sizes, they are essentially the same exact shape. When I am busy trying to negotiate the road, I do not want to have stop and make sure I have the right sized stalk in my hand. I might just be a spaz. Also, the steering wheel positioning stalk is way too far back and hard to find. It feels crammed into the space. It's not THAT big of a deal, but I really don't want to have to think about such trivial things while driving. Layout could be better.

But honestly, these are pretty small annoyances.

I think Tesla buys the stalks and steering wheel components from Mercedes, so Tesla may be limited to what Mercedes does in this regard.

Also, the steering wheel positioning stalk is way too far back and hard to find. It feels crammed into the space. It's not THAT big of a deal, but I really don't want to have to think about such trivial things while driving.
I can relate to the comment about the wiper and directional stalks, after you're more familiar with them you won't even think about them. But you really should adjust the steering wheel before driving. I never have trouble finding that one since I'm not moving.

That's an interesting idea, but there are three different averages depending on the distance selected in the energy graph. Which would you choose? Or perhaps another averaged since last charge? I'm accustomed to the consistent way it's calculated now, but you might prefer the new "Energy" mode that shows battery percentage instead of distance.

A reminder: Tesla uses different terminology for "rated range" in different countries. You probably have "Typical" and "Rated" where Rated can only be achieved driving extremely conservatively without HVAC and Typical is somewhat more realistic. Ours are labeled "Ideal" and "Rated", which seem more intuitive. It can be confusing when discussing "Rated" range across continents, whose roles are reversed.