TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Personal prediction: Elon will make a trip to the ISS in a Crew Dragon

Discussion in 'SpaceX' started by ecarfan, Oct 25, 2015.

1. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

A personal prediction: I think that Elon will make a round trip to the ISS in a Crew Dragon by 2020.
    We know he wants to go to Mars. But that is a ways off. In the meantime, once the Crew Dragon is regularly taking astronauts to the ISS, why not make a first trip into space on a SpaceX vehicle, stay a few weeks, and then come back home? He can afford to pay for the trip and it will give him some space experience before making the huge commitment that journeying to Mars will require.

2. Vger

Vger Active Member

I think that is a reasonable, if nervous-making (TSLA/SCTY shareholder) thought. But I think if he does it, he will stay a few days at most. I don't think he can stay away from the day-to-day at Space-X and Tesla too long yet!

3. wdolson

wdolson Active Member

SpaceX's insurance carrier probably would have a freak out if he proposed it. He may go into space when he finally steps down from being CEO of both Tesla and SpaceX.

4. rjcbox

rjcbox Member

This would be great to see

5. ecarfan

I doubt he is gong to relinquish the SpaceX CEO position for decades. I'm suspect he will go to space long before then no matter what an insurance company says.

6. ecarfan

Trying not to pat myself on the back too heartily at the moment, but Elon was interviewed in Hong Kong yesterday and he stated that in 4 to 5 years he would like to go to the ISS. First time I've heard him say that. So basically I nailed it. :) Interview is here Elon Musk on Tesla in Hong Kong and China (2016.1.26) - YouTube He also said he has done the parabolic flights that let people experience weightlessness, the famous "vomit comet" flights Reduced gravity aircraft - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia