Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Personal safety while charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know Tesla is capable of adjusting functionality of certain controls via software update - is something similarly possible with the hazard button (I believe it needs to be a physically button for legal reasons)? Could it be set so that a long-press (~3 seconds) on the button goes into lockdown mode? Locks all doors, sets off the alarm, starts the autopilot cameras recording and calls emergency services with your location?

Another thought: Is safety/crime level taken into consideration when selecting supercharger location? Are these incidents reported to Tesla? I could understand a few years ago they had to take whatever sites they could get, but with increased supercharger density and more awareness of Tesla they can be more selective now.

Reactions: mknox and 510Red
One thing we all can do is notify Tesla of security issues at SC sites. I've called them about 2 SCs where the overhead lighting was out, making the sites very dark at night. One was in Missouri, the other in Utah.
The Utah SC at Green River was particularly bad. It is in a remote parking lot of a small welcome center and museum that closes early. Trees block the the view from the access road. Rolling in at 11PM, not only were the overhead lights out, but the SC stations were not illuminated (but they worked for charging). Absolutely pitch black.

I have lots of good friends still in Longmont, Niwot, Berthoud, & Boulder. You're in a beautiful area of the world.
Are those anywhere near South Park? I believe a friend of mine named Cartman lives there.:rolleyes:

But seriously, I have read another long discussion on this forum on the same topic, and nobody mentioned to just leave the car and wait a safe distance away. That is so obvious now that you mention it, but it never entered my mind. Simple but makes so much sense. Especially if like myself and many people, the majority of distance driving is in the summer, and cold weather is no impediment.

Reactions: bonnie
Are those anywhere near South Park? I believe a friend of mine named Cartman lives there.:rolleyes:

But seriously, I have read another long discussion on this forum on the same topic, and nobody mentioned to just leave the car and wait a safe distance away. That is so obvious now that you mention it, but it never entered my mind. Simple but makes so much sense. Especially if like myself and many people, the majority of distance driving is in the summer, and cold weather is no impediment.
No, not near South Park. Those towns would be Lake George, Fairplay, Guffey, Hartsel ... the towns in the south part of Park County. :)

And yes - that 'wait away from the car' has proven to be helpful twice. And the other times, I just felt a little safer.

I know Tesla is capable of adjusting functionality of certain controls via software update - is something similarly possible with the hazard button (I believe it needs to be a physically button for legal reasons)? Could it be set so that a long-press (~3 seconds) on the button goes into lockdown mode? Locks all doors, sets off the alarm, starts the autopilot cameras recording and calls emergency services with your location?
Honestly, I had not thought of the hazard lights and horn, and that is so obvious that I should have thought of it. Thank you. Does anyone know if a Tesla rep reads these posts and would consider this lockdown mode idea of Chug's, or is there a place to present ideas to Tesla? I like the lockdown mode idea because it is one action that accomplishes a lot.

• Helpful
Reactions: Matutino
One thing we all can do is notify Tesla of security issues at SC sites. I've called them about 2 SCs where the overhead lighting was out, making the sites very dark at night. One was in Missouri, the other in Utah.
The Utah SC at Green River was particularly bad. It is in a remote parking lot of a small welcome center and museum that closes early. Trees block the the view from the access road. Rolling in at 11PM, not only were the overhead lights out, but the SC stations were not illuminated (but they worked for charging). Absolutely pitch black.
Try Cheyenne, Wyoming at night. I think it has an International Dark Sky Association approval rating.

Southpark is about 120 miles from Longmont. Nice drive!

Certainly leaving the car is an option and one that I use during the day because getting food/coffee/exercise is needed. My concern is more about the cross country nighttime charging and sleeping. I know it sounds funny that I drive a $90k car and sleep in my car, but it's a lifelong habit from my poorer days and I love the adventure. I pad the back with patio cushions and a sleeping bag and get my Zzzzs while "Grace" gets her Eeeees. I may have to rethink this if supercharging is a hazard to my health as someone may have suggested earlier.

A quick eject feature would would not allow you to drive off if a perpetrator pulled up blocking you with their vehicle.

Just one data point here. I was charging very late at night at the Auburn Mall supercharger off the Mass Pike. This is a pretty desolate area at night after the mall closes. The SC stalls are off the main road, and it's pretty dark. I'm obviously male, and not small in stature either. But this one night, I was the only car charging, and literally no other car or life in sight. Then a small SUV pulls up and parks right in front of my car. Two adults males are inside, just looking at the SC stalls and my car. I felt very unsafe at that moment. Even if I could do an emergency unplug from inside the car, their car was blocking my way (mosty, I could have gotten around them, but that's assuming they didn't move at all). Anyway, they just sat there for what seemed like two minutes (was probably more like one minute plus).. and eventually moved on. Were they just curious local folks, or two locals looking to rob me? Surely they assume I'll have a wallet and cell phone at a minimum. I also had two computers and other luggage in the car. It could have been a pretty good score for them. And with two of them and one of me, my only real option at that point would have been to run if they approached me, but I don't think I would have gotten very far.

If I were a female, alone, in that situation -- needing to charge there to get to my destination -- I would have been extremely scared of being blocked in and not being able to just lock the doors and drive away, even if it meant hitting their car and causing damage to get away.

I think it's a very valid concern for anyone (male or female) charging at a SC location late at night, alone in some of these SC locations that don't have any refuge in case of emergencies.

Just one data point here. I was charging very late at night at the Auburn Mall supercharger off the Mass Pike. This is a pretty desolate area at night after the mall closes. The SC stalls are off the main road, and it's pretty dark. I'm obviously male, and not small in stature either. But this one night, I was the only car charging, and literally no other car or life in sight. Then a small SUV pulls up and parks right in front of my car. Two adults males are inside, just looking at the SC stalls and my car. I felt very unsafe at that moment. Even if I could do an emergency unplug from inside the car, their car was blocking my way (mosty, I could have gotten around them, but that's assuming they didn't move at all). Anyway, they just sat there for what seemed like two minutes (was probably more like one minute plus).. and eventually moved on. Were they just curious local folks, or two locals looking to rob me? Surely they assume I'll have a wallet and cell phone at a minimum. I also had two computers and other luggage in the car. It could have been a pretty good score for them. And with two of them and one of me, my only real option at that point would have been to run if they approached me, but I don't think I would have gotten very far.

If I were a female, alone, in that situation -- needing to charge there to get to my destination -- I would have been extremely scared of being blocked in and not being able to just lock the doors and drive away, even if it meant hitting their car and causing damage to get away.

I think it's a very valid concern for anyone (male or female) charging at a SC location late at night, alone in some of these SC locations that don't have any refuge in case of emergencies.

I'm sorry that you had that experience. I often question whether someone is curious or looking for an opportunity. While I would be upset if I were robbed, those things are all insured and replaceable, and I would give those up to escape. I am more concerned about my personal safety...something that most women think of daily, and men can encounter as well. I have had a few scary incidents, but not had any real threats in all the years of traveling alone or with a buddy, but I am aware of the risk and willing to use my vehicle as a battering ram to get away. It's just not possible with this car while charging. Thank you everyone for your input!

Reactions: HankLloydRight
If firearms are out, the blaster would be a good option - I would rename it Wildfire like in Game of Thrones.

I like the horn and lights idea too. Also make sure you jump on your cell phone and call the police immediately and make sure the person outside hears you say police as you are talking.

Another thing - give another person you trust access to your car cell phone app, so they can help you if you lose your phone and keys by logging in unlocking the car and starting it for you so you can still make it home and they can track your car location if you decide to abandon ship like Bonnie did. I dont personally like this option as you now lose the security of the cage that could protect you. I'm glad it worked for Bonnie, but man I cringed when i was reading that.

Unfortunately I suspect in the future the trouble will come from other Tesla owners, as the crowding at superchargers could become an issue and the demographic of the buyers are rapidly changing from 1% percent Tesla eco-geeks, to more of the normal everyday Joe, who just wants the same convenience of the 10 minute gas fill up.
Conversely this will actually be good, as the scumbag element will not be approaching 10 Tesla owners hanging out charging especially if Tesla actually activates the cameras and allows you to hit a security button to activate live recording that gets audio and video ported back to Tesla HQ to be provided to the police in the event of a confrontation.

I'm hoping Tesla does leverage the cameras to address the potential security issue and enable the last option.

As more and more Teslas are on the roads this will become less of a problem. You could always wait for another Tesla to show up before plugging in. I would want to be armed if I was going to be traveling and charging late at night in sketchy places. In two weeks I'll be doing my second long road trip with my Tesla. I will be armed with some pepper-spray, so don't even think about messing with me.

Another thing - give another person you trust access to your car cell phone app, so they can help you if you lose your phone and keys by logging in unlocking the car and starting it for you so you can still make it home and they can track your car location if you decide to abandon ship like Bonnie did. I dont personally like this option as you now lose the security of the cage that could protect you. I'm glad it worked for Bonnie, but man I cringed when i was reading that.

Great idea. Thank you. I'll have my Significant Other put the app on his phone, too. I cannot see leaving the car after a lifetime of being taught to stay with my car in an emergency. I suspect that Bonnie feels safer in the desert and I honor that. Me? Not so much.

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
Great idea. Thank you. I'll have my Significant Other put the app on his phone, too. I cannot see leaving the car after a lifetime of being taught to stay with my car in an emergency. I suspect that Bonnie feels safer in the desert and I honor that. Me? Not so much.
Yeah ... I like the comfort of the car. No doubt. You are the one who has to determine the safety of where you are at and decide to stay in your car, watch your car from a distance away, or just not stop there. There are variables for every situation. We all have to determine what is the safest option for us.

But I can tell you, with complete certainty, that getting out that first time was by far the best decision I could have made. That security guard story? There was a lot more to it, but it involves stalking, a gallon of water removed from my gas tank the next day, notes, the guard (Tom) waiting for me after work (I ran a bar then), etc. And I was out on the desert, well away from my car, when I saw his van pull up and eventually saw him take his flashlight out looking around the area. That was the first time I got out & it was probably because as my car started to sputter and lose power, I finally figured out that he was behind all the times my car wouldn't start & he was right there to help. And more. (Gaaah, I haven't thought about that night and that guy for years. Super creepy.)

I always listen to my gut & am really glad I did so that night. And it's always an option.

Reactions: mrElbe and Ketchups
Yeah ... I like the comfort of the car. No doubt. You are the one who has to determine the safety of where you are at and decide to stay in your car, watch your car from a distance away, or just not stop there. There are variables for every situation. We all have to determine what is the safest option for us.

But I can tell you, with complete certainty, that getting out that first time was by far the best decision I could have made. That security guard story? There was a lot more to it, but it involves stalking, a gallon of water removed from my gas tank the next day, notes, the guard (Tom) waiting for me after work (I ran a bar then), etc. And I was out on the desert, well away from my car, when I saw his van pull up and eventually saw him take his flashlight out looking around the area. That was the first time I got out & it was probably because as my car started to sputter and lose power, I finally figured out that he was behind all the times my car wouldn't start & he was right there to help. And more. (Gaaah, I haven't thought about that night and that guy for years. Super creepy.)

I always listen to my gut & am really glad I did so that night. And it's always an option.

Every situation is different - you made it through and went with your gut - and were aware of the threats and your surroundings - good job - you are already 100% above the average person who just drones and don't recognize threats.

Getting out of your car is a good option based on the scenerio that you experienced. Nice work Bonnie!

Here are other scenarios that may be help in the decision making process.

Physical Security Archives - ITS Tactical

I'd add Quartzsite, Arizona to the dark and desolate SC list. There's a Carl's Jr. as a host business but between winning the Worst Restrooms award and it being quite difficult to tell that the place is actually open, it might as well be a vacant lot.

Then there are the tumbleweeds that I've seen blow through the place and the homeless encamped in the aft corner. Good times.

Perhaps a Top 10 Sketchiest SC list would be in order as a proactive resource from which Tesla could make improvements in some sort of prioritized order. Although with the recent thefts of equipment, they've probably got a good idea from that standpoint (see the cameras added at, for example, Atascadero).

There's no substitute for awareness and for being armed in whichever way your moral compass and training sensibly permit.

Having said that, it will be a great day when all SCs are monitored in real time with AI-assisted cameras (for both the security of the equipment and of the folks charging). The technology already exists- it's just a matter of proliferation and cost now. To that end, I hear some crazy guy and some sort of rocket gizmo company plan to provide ubiquitous wireless coverage, um, soon. :)

“The women of this country learned long ago, those without swords can still die upon them.”
― Eowyn, The Two Towers - Lord of the Rings

Skip the gun "debate" at your peril (what exactly is 911 going to be bringing anyway?)

Without the "great equalizer" all you have is:

1.) Alert mind (environmental awareness)
2.) Size relative to attacker
3.) Hand to hand combat training
4.) Other Weaponry (the more lethal the better)

I bought my daughter a Glock when she was born, no self imposed defensive disadvantages for her when she is of age.

I've been by myself Barstow at 2:00AM with businesses closed, wife/kids sleeping in the car and had have had someone bigger approach me at night.

He prefaced the encounter with "I'm not going to rob you or ask for money or anything". I said "I appreciate that, how can I help you?"

He wanted to know how supercharging worked. Happy to explain it all to him. He had no idea and I gave him no idea I was capable of defending my family if needed.

Was a good conversation (at 2:00am) and happy to share the joys of Tesla ownership to someone who didn't know much about them.

But like many safety supplies - "better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it."

Last edited:
My wife had the same concerns for the few times she’d be Supercharging alone. We ended up buying a cheap ICE for those occasions because there was no way she’d be comfortable otherwise. BTW, she’s never gone long distance in it...just knowing she could made her happy, and you know what they say about happy wives.

Reactions: ModelX and 510Red