Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Personalised Reg

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes. To avoid any issues I decided to take the car with the original DVLA plate assigned to it but informed Tesla that I would be changing to a personalised plate. Tesla kindly made up a pair of personalised number plates for me. As soon a I reregistered the personalised plates online with DVLA (an incredibly simple process) I simply swapped the plates over. As the Tesla system uses VIN rather than registration number I have had no issues with this method. The added benefit is that when you come to sell the car if it is still available the original number is reassigned to the Tesla so keep the old set of plates!

807C7673-B814-4C06-A21D-5416DF257AFD.jpeg
Yep,

Reactions: tess19
Yes. To avoid any issues I decided to take the car with the original DVLA plate assigned to it but informed Tesla that I would be changing to a personalised plate. Tesla kindly made up a pair of personalised number plates for me. As soon a I reregistered the personalised plates online with DVLA (an incredibly simple process) I simply swapped the plates over. As the Tesla system uses VIN rather than registration number I have had no issues with this method. The added benefit is that when you come to sell the car if it is still available the original number is reassigned to the Tesla so keep the old set of plates!
The original number is always reserved by DVLA so the car will always revert to the original one.

My last 3 cars reused their original plates. Switching was easy.
As a short term measure due to lockdown, I used an old set of personal plates leftover from my Prius, on my Tesla.
The intent was to get some new ones made up, but that was nearly a year ago :p

I've been toying with the idea of getting one....but anything remotely resembling "Tesla" or "Bill" is either taken or rediculously expensive.

Ended up finding one that I would be happy with....but its a grand. So yeah maybe one day? if its not taken by then.

I've had a personal plate for around 30 years, and the process for putting it on retention and then back on a new car has got massively easier since they shifted to the online system. However, Tesla were the first company that refused to put my plate on the car when I picked it up, no idea why, as other dealers have always done this without a quibble (one even told me that it saved them money, as I'd paid the registration fee by putting the plate on retention).

As mentioned above, even if registered for the first time with a personal plate, DVLA will always issue a hidden "shadow registration" to the car, and this stays with the car for life normally, so when transferring the reg to another car the car reverts to the original shadow reg. The only advantage of Tesla refusing to register the car with my plates is that I have a set of spare plates (and holders) that I can put back on the car when I sell it, so I don't need to get a set made up.

I’ve retained my registration from my current car, in expectation of putting this on the M3 we’ll be picking up in March. Unfortunately, Tesla won’t assign it from new, so I’ll need to have a new set of plates made up and change the insurance over, but it’s only a small cost compared to the car itself...
Plate on my current car...
65D66266-8EE4-4BAF-9683-5B96CF2528F7.jpeg

Once I have purchased everything that I require and the world's charities are fully funded, I too shall purchase a vanity plate.

I may even spend extra to get one that reconfirms the make of car that I'm driving, just in case it isn't apparent from the many emblems dotted around the car :)

Everyone is free to express themselves however they wish of course, this is just my (unpopular) opinion. I've always struggled to understand why.

Once I have purchased everything that I require and the world's charities are fully funded, I too shall purchase a vanity plate.

I may even spend extra to get one that reconfirms the make of car that I'm driving, just in case it isn't apparent from the many emblems dotted around the car :)

Everyone is free to express themselves however they wish of course, this is just my (unpopular) opinion. I've always struggled to understand why.
We all adorn ourselves and our possessions in different ways.

Reactions: Medved_77

I must admit I've never really seen that much of an appeal, once in a while I'll see a plate that makes me chuckle or impresses me, good friend of mine, who is named Warren and only drinks Budweiser got given a plate by his wife of "Bud 4 Wal" which is funny, but also just begs for him to get pulled over at xmas.

I think one of the biggest appeals to me this time around, because i'm actually trying to convince myself to keep the car for a long time instead of my usual 3 year turnaround, is to remove the year from the reg so I won't stop looking at it and thinking, wow its 2 years old now...etc etc.

As you say though, each to their own.

I've always struggled to understand why.
I got mine after transposing the beginning and end of my previous cars plate with the new car plate on a document and then forever thinking better go back and check the plate when parking in car parks that wanted you to type in your plate or people asking. As I was PCP leasing and changing every 2 years it became annoying.

My plate doesn't mean anything I just looked at A1 plates and chose the simplest one left. Only £499 7 years ago for never having to concern myself with gibberish number plates was well worth it. I see it as a way that fixes a problem that isn't essential, just like any option you buy on your car when you buy new rather than take the base model. You can then leave it in your will as well ;)

I've always struggled to understand why.

In my case the plate was free. A friend was exporting a restored 1930's Morris and mentioned that the registration he was taking off it had my initials. I asked to buy it, he said he didn't want it and that I could have it for free if I did the paperwork. It wasn't something I'd been looking for, but I've got so used to it now that I'd not want to get rid of it. The biggest advantage for me is being able to easily remember the number for things like car park machines and when registering at hotels. I think it's a bit crazy that something like this can be worth so much money, though. Last time I checked it was worth over £5k, which is just daft.

Reactions: Medved_77
Mine is as close to my surname as a reg can get. When you don’t know my name, the reg is quite meaningless, hence it was dirt cheap direct from DVLA. My wife’s reg is one appropriate letter different and cost the same.

The original number is always reserved by DVLA so the car will always revert to the original one.
Only if paid for retention I believe. When I put one on mine I was told by DVLA that my original number 'should be' available when I sell but 'may have been allocated elsewhere' in the meantime.

My family were about to get a Tesla Model Y related plate as a present to me knowing that's what I'm likely to get in a couple of years. However I found out & resisted on the basis that I may not stay with the brand so we agreed on another standard DVLA plate which happened to show my year of birth (0057) & the 3 initials of my name. It was cheaper too.

...incidentally, for anyone looking to cash in on the forthcoming Model Y UK launch, that plate is still available: TE57 AYY ie TE57A YY & even if not used may increase in resale value from £399 (I don't agree with illegal spacing by the way).

Last edited:
Only if paid for retention I believe. When I put one on mine I was told by DVLA that my original number 'should be' available when I sell but 'may have been allocated elsewhere' in the meantime.

My family were about to get a Tesla Model Y related plate as a present to me knowing that's what I'm likely to get in a couple of years. However I found out & resisted on the basis that I may not stay with the brand so we agreed on another standard DVLA plate which happened to show my year of birth (0057) & the 3 initials of my name. It was cheaper too.

...incidentally, for anyone looking to cash in on the forthcoming Model Y UK launch, that plate is still available: TE57 AYY ie TE57A YY & even if not used may increase in resale value from £399 (I don't agree with illegal spacing by the way).
The original number the car was first registered with stays with the car forever and goes back on if a private plate is removed. The only exception is if someone wanted that original number for something else, then another generic number would be issued. Retention is only for the number you wish to keep and don't have a vehicle to assign it. I've had my private number for many years and every car i've removed it from has always gone back to the number it started with.