Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Personalised Registration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having waited 38 months to buy a Model 3, I thought a few more months till September wouldn't hurt me and have indulged myself with a 69 plate.

Does anyone know how the procedure works to get Tesla to register the car with your own plate?

Having waited 38 months to buy a Model 3, I thought a few more months till September wouldn't hurt me and have indulged myself with a 69 plate.

Does anyone know how the procedure works to get Tesla to register the car with your own plate?
I Asked and they said they can only issue standard plate and time of collection. I have Private plate and now is on retention certificate (£80 ) and will switch is after delivery, not too much hassle

I Asked and they said they can only issue standard plate and time of collection. I have Private plate and now is on retention certificate (£80 ) and will switch is after delivery, not too much hassle

Isn't there an extra fee via that route?

1. Move plate to Retention Certificate
2a. Put that plate on new car
2b. Fee to change Plate AND cost of new number plate

Isn't there an extra fee via that route?

1. Move plate to Retention Certificate
2a. Put that plate on new car
2b. Fee to change Plate AND cost of new number plate
No, £80 pays to retain your no. on certificate, when your ready to assign the no. to your new car then there is no additional cost other than to Purchase new plates. I've transferred my number a few times, GL

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Volume? By all accounts more like a trickle in the U.K. for the foreseeable future. A couple of hundred now. A couple of hundred in July (all speculation of course). Happy to be proven wrong.
I'm pretty sure they will send a couple of big ships over, theres over 5000 that have been ordered, they just want to focus on the US to get the end of quarter done, and before the incentives drop there. Then I'm sure they will do a big push on RHD for us and other RHD countries, and I expect a couple of boat loads next month/August which will get through the majority of orders. They just wanted to get some here to say hey we delivered in June like we promised, and they can say to shareholders we started delivering RHD in this quarter to.

Reactions: leewillis77
I'm in the process now. Procedure for me was:-

1. Go to DVLA site and put cherished plate on a retention certificate. They will then issue a new V5C in the original reg of the current vehicle and send that and the retention document V778 within a couple of days. You do get the serial number of the retention document online and can inform Tesla of that number prior to possession of the hard copy.
2. Get new plates in original reg made up.
3. Because I've effed up in the past, take these to Tesla SC (Birmingham for me) and they remove cherished and replace with original reg plates for free
4. They will supply and fit (once again for free) cherished plates to my new car
5. Pick up new car Saturday 10:00 - if all goes well!!!:D

If you don't get this done prior to getting your new car it will be issued with a 'standard' reg and you will need to go through the registration process for the new car. My current MS was insured with the original plate and I completely forgot to change to my cherished plate with the insurers for the first 14 months - what an idiot I am!!!! Not certain how that would have impacted in the event of an insurance claim but fortunately that issue never arose.

Good luck and enjoy the best driving experience available IMHO

Tesla did it for me on my MX a few weeks ago. They just needed my retention certificate number and that was that. Made it easier with insurance, parking permits etc...

On my last car Audi put the wrong number plate on the car (one letter was wrong) and I ended up with 3x parking tickets and the police knocking on my door telling me the car wasn’t insured and registered. Audi did pay for the tickets and gave me the first year service for free.

Volume? By all accounts more like a trickle in the U.K. for the foreseeable future. A couple of hundred now. A couple of hundred in July (all speculation of course). Happy to be proven wrong.

All I know is that when I ordered my MX I was asked by my local SC if I wanted to register it with a private plate or standard. M3 ordering process is different as it's all online, so I haven't had any contact with local SC sales team. Maybe that's why they appear to be less flexible? If it was me I would contact the delivery SC directly and ask them to sort it out.

I spoke to the helpline about private plates a few days after ordering. They said that the new “streamlined” Model 3 system won’t allow them to register on a private plate. She did say that the SC would make up a second set of plates free of charge. It seems they use a special sort of plate made of aluminium, and standard plastic plates won’t fit the plate holders.

On the subject of plate holders, I had a close look at the front one on the M3 at Fully Charged Live. Must say it seemed a bit flimsy and rattled a bit. There was also an owners M3 there with a stick-on plate on the front, which seemed a lot neater and more aerodynamic, so I may go down that route. Does anyone know if the front plate holder just sticks on, or do they drill the bumper? :eek:

I spoke to the helpline about private plates a few days after ordering. They said that the new “streamlined” Model 3 system won’t allow them to register on a private plate. She did say that the SC would make up a second set of plates free of charge. It seems they use a special sort of plate made of aluminium, and standard plastic plates won’t fit the plate holders.

On the subject of plate holders, I had a close look at the front one on the M3 at Fully Charged Live. Must say it seemed a bit flimsy and rattled a bit. There was also an owners M3 there with a stick-on plate on the front, which seemed a lot neater and more aerodynamic, so I may go down that route. Does anyone know if the front plate holder just sticks on, or do they drill the bumper? :eek:
It’s a pity I didn’t spot this before I ordered a new set of acrylic plates.
I checked with Tesla and they confirmed acrylic plates are too thick to fit in the holders.
They said they can make some aluminium ones for £25 (no offer of any freebies).

Having just fitted my private plates, I can confirm that you need the thin aluminium ones, but they are easy to fit.
Heathrow wouldn't register the car with my plate, and said there would be a £25 charge.
In the end I just ordered the plates on-line from number1plates.com, as I didn't trust Tesla to be able to print the plates on a Saturday with delivery chaos, but I think they would have been a bit cheaper from Tesla.
If you can give them some advance notice it will probably be fine, but you can fallback to an online order if it goes wrong.