Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Personalized Green Plates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The funniest personalized plate I saw was on a Benz driven by a lady in Toronto that said "WAS HIS".

A while back, I was speaking to someone at the MTO who said something like Ontario doesn't have personalized Green Plates "yet" in a conversation we were having. I'm not sure if that was foretelling a policy change, or just the way he was expressing his thought at the moment.

If HOV lane access goes away next year as planned, I'm not sure what the value of the Green Plate is going to be anyway.

Not sure if it is proper to revive an ancient thread but this seemed like the right place to ask...

I am about 90% sure I saw a personalized Green Plate on a Tesla today. Now, I am also 90% sure I am colour blind, so take the first statement with a grain of salt.

Has their been any changes that now allow for personalized green plates?

Not sure if it is proper to revive an ancient thread but this seemed like the right place to ask...

I am about 90% sure I saw a personalized Green Plate on a Tesla today. Now, I am also 90% sure I am colour blind, so take the first statement with a grain of salt.

Has their been any changes that now allow for personalized green plates?

According to MTO, "no" but then again their list of approved vehicles for HOV/HOT lanes still doesn't include the Model 3, so perhaps it could still happen?

Green Plates Eligible Vehicle List
Get Green Vehicle Licence Plates
You can get Green Vehicle licence plates through the normal vehicle plating process at any ServiceOntario centre.

There are no extra fees, however as with the purchase of any new licence plates, the regular vehicle permit and number plate fee applies.

Please note online orders and personalized Green Vehicle licence plates are not available.

To learn more contact ServiceOntario at 1-800-387-3445 or 416-235-2999.

Maybe I am wrong, but I thought one of the reason for this is to make it easier to identify green plates. The colour isn't always obvious, particularly if the plate is partially covered in snow/dirt or a coloured plastic cover. So it makes it easier for police to know that green plates have green lettering AND a number that starts with GV (I think that may also start with VG). Of course to be properly bilinual VV should be an option as well.

Perhaps they should revise who gets the green plate. Too many Volvos and Porsches get them, but I would debate how green they are.

Any idea where it has been suggested that the green plate HOV access is going away?

I'd be curious to know was well. I sent Mayor Tory multiple letters asking for Green Plate access on local Toronto HOV lanes but I am still waiting for a response.

Maybe I am wrong, but I thought one of the reason for this is to make it easier to identify green plates. The colour isn't always obvious, particularly if the plate is partially covered in snow/dirt or a coloured plastic cover. So it makes it easier for police to know that green plates have green lettering AND a number that starts with GV (I think that may also start with VG). Of course to be properly bilinual VV should be an option as well.

VE is the French version. Vehicle Ecologique.

Any idea where it has been suggested that the green plate HOV access is going away?
I haven't heard of that. It used to be temporary and was extended a few times but it has since been made permanent. However getting rid of green plates would be consistent with some of the Conservative policies, even prior to Doug Ford becoming leader. This is from their 2017 platform:
PC Party policy is to cancel the Liberal slush fund known as the Climate Change Action Plan, dismantle cap-and-trade, and withdraw from the Western Climate Initiative (WCI), and to return 100% of revenues from Trudeau's Federal carbon pricing benchmark to taxpayers as verified by the Auditor General.
That doesn't sound like an entity inclined to give preferential treatment to EVs.

• Informative
Reactions: TrevTremaine