Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Perth 2022 Blue LR Model 3 on Aussiecams

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The van was overtaking in the early part of the vid.

Then the Tesla comes up very quickly (seemingly in a construction zone) and at a guess honks or flashes, which seemingly prompts a brake check
The Van was in the Right lane.(no evidence in the video of anything other than travelling in Right lane)
Travelling in Right lane unless overtaking(roads with 90+km/h speed limit) is a breach of law. In Sydney most just use the Right lane half are travelling below the speed limit not knowing they are actually braking the law. Its also common courtesy

Idiot brake checking is not appropriate.

Although Tesla driver is hot headed

Last edited:
From 5sec to 10sec the van is catching up to and then in line with the ute in the left hand.

They are thus going faster than the ute and entitled to be in the right hand lane.

Tailgating and honking someone who is also overtaking isn't appropriate.
So you are assuming he is overtaking?

If he is going faster than the left lane it doesn't mean overtaking.

If speed limit is 100km/h
Left lane travelling at 60km/h

The van is in the right lane doing 70km/h

He is just travelling well below the speed limit in an overtaking lane. The fact he is travelling 10km/h faster is not an overtaking manouver as he could have been in this lane for the last 2 hours.

Overtaking action shown in image below.

1656302004611.png

Sorry i just hate people travelling slowly right lane.

So you are assuming he is overtaking?

If he is going faster than the left lane it doesn't mean overtaking.

If speed limit is 100km/h
Left lane travelling at 60km/h

The van is in the right lane doing 70km/h

He is just travelling well below the speed limit in an overtaking lane. The fact he is travelling 10km/h faster is not an overtaking manouver as he could have been in this lane for the last 2 hours.

Overtaking action shown in image below.

View attachment 821593

Sorry i just hate people travelling slowly right lane.
It was roadworks so the speed limit would have been reduced. The Model 3 driver was beeing an impatient and agressive, I have no sympathy. Sorry I just hate people driving like a tool.

It was roadworks so the speed limit would have been reduced. The Model 3 driver was beeing an impatient and agressive

I'm 100% with you. It was clearly roadworks, < 90km/hr with a number of (initially) slower vehicles in the left lane, so the whole "travelling in right lane" discussion is moot.

Note also the Tesla didn't have a lot of room after the van pass, and starts aiming to the right just before the collision, so their intention was to zip pass the van on the left and throw back over to the right. It the ute had braked hard circa 17-18s, the Tesla driver was going to head butt the ute's tray.

Hard to tell definitively from the footage, but doesn't look like a brake check from the van. Pretty gentle one if it was. Unlike the Tesla, it doesn't appear to dip under braking.

More likely as @Blue heaven suggested: the van driver realised their exit was coming up (the van appears to slow down about where the exit sign would come into view for them) and they weren't going to be able to pass the line of cars on the left before the exit without speeding, and decided to ease off and merge behind the ute they just passed... possibly all while anxious over the tail-gating Tesla behind them. In this case, the only obvious thing they did wrong was fail to put an early blinker on, which might have held the Tesla driver in check.

Props to "WHITTY" in the right lane who saw the prospect of an accident about to happen and stayed out of frame till after the dust had cleared.

Thanks for the video @Maximillan . I'm sure I've been guilty of using the M3 acceleration unwisely at times too, so I'll also take this as a good reminder.

I know that road. It's Tonkin Highway which is currently 80km/hr in the roadworks instead of 100km/hr. It's before the Guildford Rd exit on the left which is a well hidden exit with NO OFF RAMP. You should be in the left lane, apply brakes and do a left sharp cloverleaf and pray for mercy that no one goes up your rear. Extremely poor design.
Looks to me like the van realised exit appeared, had a panic and slowed down to change lanes (frustrated the Tesla driver) and the Tesla had some poor manners and also decided to change lanes to get around him and the 2 ended up in the same spot. Some indicators from the van would have helped the situation but most regulars on the road know to expect the unexpected at that location.

Reactions: Blue heaven
Driving home in heavy traffic tonight I got an interesting other perspective of what happens when a Tesla driver drives like a bell end.

I was on the harbour bridge and I noticed a White LR weaving in and out of traffic, and then up the Warringah Expressway he pulled some interesting up the left lane overtakes to end up two cars ahead of me when traffic came to a stop on the freeway. As I'd already spotted "JC"'s *sugar* driving (which was worse than the chintzy aftermarket rear LEDs), I knew to look out for him, however it's the silence combined with the rapid acceleration that catches other drivers unawares.

Of course as these things turns out he picked the wrong lane eventually and I glided past him, but when I went to change lanes into a massive gap I pulled out of it because I could see that he was flying up at a rapid rate to close the gap to the car in front doing maybe 40km/h. I'm certain that as electric cars become more common that the types of accidents in the video above involving bad drivers using the awesome acceleration in bad scenarios will become more common.