Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Perth to Adelaide revisited

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What sort of range impact did you see from the constant rain @Blue heaven? I found it pretty significant (unsurprisingly) when it poured all the way from Melbourne to Sydney a couple of years back.

I estimate 10% energy increase just from the water on the road, add in the cross winds we experienced over the past few days its been a struggle achieving typical range.

Sundrop farm 300kms North of Adelaide, solar collector to desalinate water from the Spencer gulf.
image.jpeg
The Best Western Whyalla shows up on maps as a 6kw destination charger, after plugging in we found it to be 22kw 3 phase, thats a useful 30kw solar collector on the roof. Ring ahead so the staff can get the charger ready. Good overnight stop.
image.jpeg
Arno bay is 150kms South of Whyalla, I wish we had more time to stop and look around.
image.jpeg

The Port Lincoln solution- The plan yesterday was to drive in to Port Lincoln and have a long lunch at Beer garden brewing making use of their 22kw destination chargers, then head on up the West coast and stay at a random coastal community, sadly Beer garden brewery was closed for the day, plan B was Bay 10 accomodation overlooking the water, we plugged into the destination charger and as expected it only provided 6kw (27kmh) this is fine for overnight stays but as we hoped to get moving that afternoon another alternative was needed, after a number of discussions with various city council employees trying to find a key we managed to get a distribution box opened right in front of the cafe strip, 32amp three phase providing 105km of typical range per hour, 2 hours later the car had enough charge for another few hours.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

It was great to meet Blue Heaven at Madura pass - synchronised to a couple of minutes. We are going to the Big battery opening celebration in Jamestown South Australia on 9th December. A fast trip with 7 hours driving and 2 hours day charging planned each day for 4 days to cover the 2750kms. So far so good with 6kms left in the tank on arrival Esperance, 5kms in the tank at Cocklebiddy and 4 kms in the tank at Penong. Aiming at 3kms left in the tank at Jamestown tomorrow!

Reactions: Blue heaven
On a trip to Broome in the old S85 we measured wh/kms on a flat road with no wind to calculate the best speed to give the shortest overall time driving and day charging for a 600 kms trip. We concluded that this was 80/90 kph if charging at 11kw, but 110kph if charging at 22kw.
We just measured the same for the new S100D on a 700kms trip and have concluded 90/100kph if charging at 17.5kw.

• Informative
Reactions: Blue heaven
Fraser range station is located less than 2kms off the main highway between Balladonia and Norseman, they have a choice of accomodation, evening meals and a liquor licence, magic scenery plus a resident young Camel and Calf that are best of friends, no need to worry about charging here but if you overnight on 10amps it may save a stop at Norseman or Balladonia.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Reactions: RichardMcN
Kalgoorlie- we headed back through the tradional Goldfields route, a photo could never replace seeing the Superpit up close.View attachment 265663 View attachment 265662 Kalgoorlie, Kambalda, Coolgardie is known for Gold and Nickel, also not short of Lithium and other resources, electric vehicles are now seen as useful around here.View attachment 265661
Just love seeing your photos @Blue heaven as I am doing my round Australia trip starting in March 2018 from near Gladstone, Queensland. Love a dusty Tesla too... shows that it has done it's job and got you safely to your destination. Well done. Any tips to make the long hauls easier?

Just love seeing your photos @Blue heaven as I am doing my round Australia trip starting in March 2018 from near Gladstone, Queensland. Love a dusty Tesla too... shows that it has done it's job and got you safely to your destination. Well done. Any tips to make the long hauls easier?

In the next few days we will summarise all the information collected on charging, accommodation and tourist stops, the main thing is with correct preparation ( that should be done with any vehicle travelling regional areas) the trip is comfortable with the longest gap bwtween 3 phase now being 225kms.