Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nullis Arbor, unum Tesla
(zero trees, one Tesla)

In a few days techno-phile and I are heading off on a big adventure!
We aim to drive from Perth to Adelaide in 6 days, charging on 3-phase power along the way.

techno-phile has done the legwork contacting various businesses and roadhouses obtaining permission to use their 3-phase sockets.

Some of the roadhouses had 3-phase power available but no spare 3 phase sockets.
The AEVA kindly sponsored some 32A 3-phase sockets along with some signage, and the roadhouses were happy to have a sparky wire them up for us. We'll also add them to PlugShare as we go.

When we get to Adelaide techno-phile will return to Perth (via airplane) while I keep driving towards the rising sun.

My ultimate destination is in SEQ, and from there I will retrace my steps.

I spent some time figuring out the data-files created by VisibleTesla and have written some software that reads the location data and stores it into a database format that can be read by GPS tracking software OpenGTS

That means you will be able to track our progress via this live map.
I'm also feeding that software with some additional data points provided by a Satellite Tracker which will help cover areas outside of Telstra 3G coverage.

You can switch between the two data sources via the "Vehicle Map" selector.

I will of course will be updating this forum thread as we go along, and will also be tweeting via @TransOzTesla

My planned schedule is below.

I would love to catch up with any fellow Tesla & EV fans, so please let me know if you're going to be around, and suggest a location to catch up for a beer, glass of wine, a meal, some Tesla chatter, or all of the above!

02 May Depart Perth
07 May Arrive Adelaide
08 May Depart Adelaide
09 May Arrive Melbourne
13 May Depart Melbourne; Arrive Canberra
15 May "Shannons Wheels" car show at Parliament House
16 May Depart Canberra; Arrive Sydney
18 May Depart Sydney; via Newcastle, Arrive Port Macquarie
19 May Depart Port Macq; Arrive Brunswick Heads
20 May Depart Brunswick Heads; Arrive Gold Coast. ** LGGD has suggested catching up at Brooklyn Depot
22 May Depart Gold Coast, Arrive Moreton Bay (Dylanpete)
24 May Depart Moreton Bay; Arrive Brunswick Heads
25 May Arrive Port Macquarie
26 May Depart Port Macq ;via Newcastle, Arrive Sydney
30 May Depart Sydney; Arrive Gundagai
31 May Depart Gundagai; Arrive Melbourne
01 Jun Depart Melbourne
02 Jun Arrive Adelaide
03 Jun Depart Adelaide
08 Jun Return to Perth

Sounds like an epic and awesome trip. I am jealous. :)

It is great that you are helping to blase the trail by getting 32 A sockets installed and on plugshare.

What kind of portable EVSE will you be using with the 32 A 3-phase sockets?

Have a great trip,

GSP

Last edited:
Thats quite some planning you have done. Flying seems simpler, but I'm sure you'll have a ball. Hopefully we can catch up during your 2nd visit to Adelaide on 2 or 3 june. Your first visit co-incides with mothers day....and might get in a lot of trouble if I met a fellow tesla owner on that day by wife, mother, and worst of all mother-in-law.:eek:

What kind of portable EVSE will you be using with the 32 A 3-phase sockets?
I have an e-station EVR3 and techno-phile has the Tesla UMC/16A euro plug with aussie sockets as fallback.

Flying seems simpler, but I'm sure you'll have a ball.

Yes flying would be simpler but I haven't seen much of Australia beyond WA and the occasional flight East (the most recent of which was to Sydney for the 2014 Model S launch!) so I figure this way I'll see more than enough to get my fill... :)

Reactions: paulp and GSP
Your first visit co-incides with mothers day....and might get in a lot of trouble if I met a fellow tesla owner on that day by wife, mother, and worst of all mother-in-law.:eek:

Actually I will be spending most of Mothers day driving to Victoria - I arrive in Adelaide on Saturday the 7th, so it would be best to meet up Saturday night. If not, I will see you on Thursday the 2nd of June :D

Actually I will be spending most of Mothers day driving to Victoria - I arrive in Adelaide on Saturday the 7th, so it would be best to meet up Saturday night. If not, I will see you on Thursday the 2nd of June :D
Thursday 2nd june in the morning works for me. Lunch already taken that day. Great cafe in my office, and you can grab 32 amps in the garage (single phase hpwc)

Thursday 2nd june in the morning works for me. Lunch already taken that day

I'm driving in from Portland, VIC that day, so am likely to arrive late in the afternoon. How about dinner? or a beer?
Otherwise Friday morning before I head off to Port Augusta...

Happy to meet up on the 18th or 26th in Newcastle, lunch, dinner, whatever suits. Can only talk Tesla for now!!!

I'll be charging @ MangroveMike's office in Mayfield East at around midday on both days, so lunch sounds great.

Which part of Adelaide are you staying?

At Chifley on South Terrace

I thought you might be charging at Mike's. Both work for me, 18th it is? There is actually a pretty decent sandwich shop a two minute walk from Mike's or a few local options too.

Great, PM me your number and I'll give you a call when I know what time I'm likely to get there.

MDK if you are concerned about making Melbourne we have a country residence between Kyneton & Lancefield. Its on Plugshare. I can offer 15A overnight if you wish to stay or 13A during the day. You will need only about 15kWhrs to make Richmond SC as it is 650m ASL. You would most likely turnoff at Horsham. My neighbour also has solar and an 85S so you could get some day time power there also. My no is 0425877373

I found the fastest way from Adelaide to Melbourne was an afternoon drive to Penola, staying overnight in the town while using the Raidis Estate destination charger, then driving very gently to Melbourne, or stopping to say hi to Rob in Bacchus Marsh while getting a quick top-up for the run to Richmond.