Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pest abatement for Tesla solar panels in the Las Vegas area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently had Tesla Solar panels installed and looking to get pest abatement installed. I‘ve only reached out to a couple local companies but most of them appear to just screw on the wire mesh to the outside of the skirt/trim. I did notice some folks in other states had Tesla install the pest abatement that appears to go under the skirt/trim which I’d prefer (example 1, example 2), but when I asked my service advisor about it they said they don’t offer it anymore. Anyone know of a local company in the southern Nevada area that does pest abatement for Tesla Solar panels with the skirt/trim similar to what’s pictured in the two examples I posted?

Recently had Tesla Solar panels installed and looking to get pest abatement installed. I‘ve only reached out to a couple local companies but most of them appear to just screw on the wire mesh to the outside of the skirt/trim. I did notice some folks in other states had Tesla install the pest abatement that appears to go under the skirt/trim which I’d prefer (example 1, example 2), but when I asked my service advisor about it they said they don’t offer it anymore. Anyone know of a local company in the southern Nevada area that does pest abatement for Tesla Solar panels with the skirt/trim similar to what’s pictured in the two examples I posted?
Check with Sunrun, they installed a "critter guard" on my panels on install. It's the mesh type, though, and is doing a nice job of keeping the birds out.

I think one challenge is getting the skirts on and off without the tools designed for this. I suspect this is why other installers are just using a retrofit approach.
Sounds like you should have paid tesla to do this abatement while they were doing the installation.

I think one challenge is getting the skirts on and off without the tools designed for this. I suspect this is why other installers are just using a retrofit approach.
Sounds like you should have paid tesla to do this abatement while they were doing the installation.

Unfortunately Tesla doesn't offer pest abatement in Nevada anymore. Not quite sure why but I asked about it before and after the install. One of the local Tesla installers actually does pest abatement on the side but he also just uses screws to attach it to the skirt. It's not a huge deal and I may end up going that route, but I'm just curious if there's any installers out there that use the method I mentioned above (or something similar).

Reactions: Vines
Unfortunately Tesla doesn't offer pest abatement in Nevada anymore. Not quite sure why but I asked about it before and after the install. One of the local Tesla installers actually does pest abatement on the side but he also just uses screws to attach it to the skirt. It's not a huge deal and I may end up going that route, but I'm just curious if there's any installers out there that use the method I mentioned above (or something similar).
Ah sorry I missed that part of your original post. Wonder why they won't even take money for this work?

It didn’t occur to me until recently that the pest control company I‘ve been using for the past 3 years also offers pigeon guard service for solar panels. Turns out they install it exactly the way I was looking for (not drilled into the trim). They also tuck the mesh inwards so it’s a clean looking install. Even better is they were about 20% cheaper than the lowest quote I’ve found so far. Here’s some photos of the install. The company is Pest Pros Las Vegas.

It didn’t occur to me until recently that the pest control company I‘ve been using for the past 3 years also offers pigeon guard service for solar panels. Turns out they install it exactly the way I was looking for (not drilled into the trim). They also tuck the mesh inwards so it’s a clean looking install. Even better is they were about 20% cheaper than the lowest quote I’ve found so far. Here’s some photos of the install. The company is Pest Pros Las Vegas.
What is your quote like? I am getting 14kw of panels.

>Wonder why they won't even take money for this work?

Because their customer service sucks.
I would suspect more that Tesla doesn't want to do anything on your roof except PV+PW Installation.

I understand they also do not install car chargers. This type of work will likely fall to the solar maintenance companies going forward. Wash the panels, clean off the leaves and inspect for critters and damage. This type of service work is deceptively time consuming, and Tela probably has hundreds of pending installations in every market. I can see why they focus on their core competency, there is so much work because they have the lowest cost in town.

They also seem to have poor customer service, but that isn't the reason to not offer pest abatement, at least I don't think so.

Amazon has "Solar Panel Pest Control"... Sianson Solar Panel Bird Guard Mesh - 6" x 100' for $75 (black color)
pest.jpg

@shred86 what pests were you trying to keep out? Hard to tell scale from the photos, but it doesn't look like a pigeon could get in the bottom or sides. Is it mainly to protect the the top?
Primarily pigeons. Are you saying it doesn't look like a pigeon could get in the bottom or sides because of the skirt/trim that Tesla installs (without the additional pest abatement mesh)? If so, I think they definitely would be able to. If you're talking about with the pest abatement I had installed, then definitely not.

@shred86 what pests were you trying to keep out? Hard to tell scale from the photos, but it doesn't look like a pigeon could get in the bottom or sides. Is it mainly to protect the the top?
Birds and squirrels look much larger than they are due to their thick feather/fur. Pigeons can easily squeeze through surprisingly small openings. Although Tesla panels appear mounted almost flush, they are not. The edge pieces give that flush look, and hence visually appealing, but not functionally deterrent against pests. If you have wavy S roof tile, makes it a lot easier for them to get in and nest under.

Reactions: TS.42