TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Pet barrier ideas?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Stimyg, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Stimyg

Stimyg Member

2. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

I'm surprised I haven't needed one, dogs go in the trunk and seem happy to stay there. Maybe they're put off by the high rear seats and the headrest crenellation?

3. dflye

dflye S Sig Perf 414, VIN 814

Our dog (a hound / boxer mix) weighs somewhere in the 40 pound range and if given the chance has on occasion managed to escape over the backseat into the main compartment.

To work around this, I looped a leash through itself by going down through the access hole in the left side of the trunk and coming back up under the footwell cover.

Works great now, once the dog hops into the trunk, I clip him into the leash, which gives him enough room to roam around the trunk, but not enough to get over the seat back.

4. Plug Me In

Plug Me In Member

Probably not a great everyday solution but we used half of a dog crate on our last road trip and it worked great.

Attached Files:

5. Stimyg

Stimyg Member

My dog would definitely try to get into the main compartment if not very definitely blocked from it. And unfortunately she'd just end up completely tangled in a leash. Has to be some kind of barrier.

I wrote to Travall and they said they won't be offering one (which makes sense, since they're custom made to each model car and there's not that many Tesla's out there. Yet.)

6. unclfuzzy

unclfuzzy Member

It's not to keep him in the way back, but I use one of these in my S for my Mastiff puppy. Works great to keep the car clean and keep him from falling on the floor and out of the front. And it folds up nice and neat to stow in the wheel well or frunk.
    Kurgo Khaki Wander Hammock Dog Car Seat Cover at PETCO

7. orlando

orlando Member

Off topic: I have an E91 BMW wagon and mine has a built-in pet net/guard... Why go through the trouble of the add-on item?

8. Stimyg

Stimyg Member

Because mine broke and it was insanely expensive to replace. This was I think 1/5th of the price.

Also I think this one is a lot more sturdy in terms of securing stuff in the back in case of an accident.

9. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I'm against transporting half dogs.

Oh... you meant a half crate.