Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pet barrier ideas?

Stimyg

Feb 17, 2013
New York

NigelM

Recovering Member
Apr 3, 2011
Northern Virginia
I'm surprised I haven't needed one, dogs go in the trunk and seem happy to stay there. Maybe they're put off by the high rear seats and the headrest crenellation?

dflye

S Sig Perf 414, VIN 814
Oct 7, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Our dog (a hound / boxer mix) weighs somewhere in the 40 pound range and if given the chance has on occasion managed to escape over the backseat into the main compartment.

To work around this, I looped a leash through itself by going down through the access hole in the left side of the trunk and coming back up under the footwell cover.

Works great now, once the dog hops into the trunk, I clip him into the leash, which gives him enough room to roam around the trunk, but not enough to get over the seat back.

Plug Me In

Nov 29, 2012
Central Virginia
Probably not a great everyday solution but we used half of a dog crate on our last road trip and it worked great.

Attachments

• IMG_0739.jpg
    IMG_0739.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 1,814

Stimyg

Feb 17, 2013
New York
My dog would definitely try to get into the main compartment if not very definitely blocked from it. And unfortunately she'd just end up completely tangled in a leash. Has to be some kind of barrier.

I wrote to Travall and they said they won't be offering one (which makes sense, since they're custom made to each model car and there's not that many Tesla's out there. Yet.)

Stimyg

Feb 17, 2013
New York
Off topic: I have an E91 BMW wagon and mine has a built-in pet net/guard... Why go through the trouble of the add-on item?

Because mine broke and it was insanely expensive to replace. This was I think 1/5th of the price.

Also I think this one is a lot more sturdy in terms of securing stuff in the back in case of an accident.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC