Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pet liner recommendation for 2nd Seat (that allows the pup to go back/forth to front seat)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We just took delivery of our 2023 X (beige interior). Our pup is 4 years old, doesn't shed and weighs 20 pounds. We'd like to get a liner to protect the second row of seats when we take her with us, but we don't need a barrier between that seat and the front (our little Scout likes to go back and forth to the front to set on the passenger lap). She also likes to sit on the middle console.

Any recommendations for a pet liner for the second seats (we have the 5 seat configuration) that doesn't block her from being able to move to the front? We are basically looking because of 1) beige interior; 2) seats with the pin holes in this car and we don't want her nails to get snagged in and rip the seats.

Thanks in advance. We did think about getting the Tesla pet seat liner and just not attaching it to the front seats.

Something like this should work if you could cut a hole in the mesh. I couldn't find one with a zippered mesh, which is probably for structural strength. The extender floor matches close enough to the top of the X console that a small dog could walk to it.

We have a 2017 Model X 6-seater and a 62 lb dog. We just finished a road trip with one extra-long day of driving up and back. On the trip out I had a seat cover for each of the second row captains chairs and expected the dog to stay mostly on the floor.. The poor dog remained sitting up in a seat panting for the entire drive.

While at the destination I purchased a "seat extender":
The main feature of a seat extender is a hard bottom that creates a floor from the back of the rear seat all the way to the back of the front seat. For the 6-seater it also creates a floor between the two rear seats. This is a generic-fit model, but it fit fine in the X and had one-day shipping. I also liked the large mesh area. It has door protection as well, but I just let them fall over the outside of the seats. There are other versions that looked like they would work. The stiff floor uses three boards (sort of a hard cardboard). You can fold the cover up to expose one of the second row seats and access the third row if you need to. We had four people and the dog for a couple of short trips. Install is easy enough, but a bit more work than a soft cover. It does fold nicely for storage.

I added an inflatable pillow between the rear seats for a little extra support:
This looked like a useful thing to carry around in the car, though this was its first real use. I don't think this was necessary for support, but it didn't hurt.

Our dog was able to lie down for most of the trip back home, looking at us through the mesh most of the time. She was very relaxed, with no continuous panting. We were all very happy with this thing. The dog felt the floor was stable enough to walk anywhere on it without worry. An added benefit was that the dog could brace against the front seats during sudden stops instead of falling off a seat.

If you can put up with the size and restricted floor access (which actually wasn't too bad), this is a much better solution than a soft seat cover.

ETA: The center console A/C vent ends up below the extender floor, the one thing I'd like to fix. The side pillar A/C vents do blow air into the dog's area. Our dog loves to sit in front of the A/C, but didn't seem to miss the center vent.