Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pet Peeve of mine ATM/VIN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ElSupreme

Model S 03182
Jan 13, 2012
Atlanta, GA
So I see 'VIN number' (and sadly have to use it some times to avoid confusion) a lot and it bugs me. Here is what I hear every time someone says ATM machine!

WP_20121218_006.jpg

The only instance that I am aware of breaking all the time is RAID. I usually append 'array' at the end on first use in a conversation, then switch to RAID unless someone is confused.

"VIN number" could be interpreted as index into a list of VINs.

So when someone says "I have VIN number 3" it could mean they have the 3rd one made, and those with a VIN list could look down at entry 3 and see the actual/full VIN for "VIN number 3".

(OK, I am stretching a bit here.)

BTW, some people say "PIN code" rather than "PIN number".

- - - Updated - - -

ATM-Machine-Sign.jpg

citi-purchasing-card-300x194.jpg

Editorial Pet Peeves | Buffalo Editor
ATM Machine... @ derek.broox.com

Last edited:
So I see 'VIN number' (and sadly have to use it some times to avoid confusion) a lot and it bugs me. Here is what I hear every time someone says ATM machine!

View attachment 13066

The only instance that I am aware of breaking all the time is RAID. I usually append 'array' at the end on first use in a conversation, then switch to RAID unless someone is confused.

I feel the same way about baseball and the term "RBIs" - RBI is already runs batted in.........

RAS syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
RAS syndrome (short for "redundant acronym syndrome syndrome"), also known as PNS syndrome ("PIN number syndrome syndrome", which expands to "personal identification number number syndrome syndrome") or RAP phrases ("redundant acronym phrase phrases"), refers to the use of one or more of the words that make up an acronym or initialism in conjunction with the abbreviated form, thus in effect repeating one or more words...
...LCD display...

Then there is the whole "Roadster has 6831 batteries" saying.
Cell=One unit.
Battery=Pack of cells.
Roadster has one "Battery" of 6831 "Cells".

But I think you could get on some semantical roller coaster there.
"The ESS (Energy Storage System) is a 'Battery Pack' as it is a box/pack that contains a battery of cells."