Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PETITION: Bring back dual app view Elon! Sign here!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Call me dense ... but maybe not having seen V9 yet ... I have no idea what this is all about. I did look at your link on change.org but I do not know what I'm looking it.
Could you do a video perhaps comparing the old and the new? Or is that too late?

Signed, Dense.

Call me dense ... but maybe not having seen V9 yet ... I have no idea what this is all about. I did look at your link on change.org but I do not know what I'm looking it.
Could you do a video perhaps comparing the old and the new? Or is that too late?

Signed, Dense.

In v9 the top of your center display will always be maps you no longer have a choice as to what is displayed up top like before v9. This is understandable in the model 3 as it only has one wide display but the model S and X has a tall center display which was capable of displaying 2 applications at once in older software versions. We also have a dashboard that displays navigation info once you have selected a destination so forcing the map display in the center seems redundant and a waste of space. Also many people prefer the rear view camera or tesla waze in a browser window on the top of the center display which is no longer possible in V9.

Last edited:
Reactions: neroden and selfbp

Signed, Dense.
Green - with 2018.39 you can run Nav and 1 other app simultaneously. You cannot run cam/browser, cam/media, browser/energy, or any two apps unless one of them is Nav.

To complicate things, the non-Nav app you are running is pinned to the bottom half of the screen. So you can never go forward and have three rear cam (or browser, energy, media, etc.) on there top half of the screen. Some really like the rear camera on top.

The petition is to ask then to reconsider this strategic choice as it appears to be a step backwards.

Every time Tesla introduces UI "improvements", it's been two steps forward, one step back.

With V9, we've lost the ability to have two non-NAV apps displayed at the same time, and the ability to put a non-NAV app at the top of the display. But, we now have the ability to control the height of some of the apps, so they are no longer required to take up 1/2 of the display.

Before getting too concerned about this, recommend you try the new UI for a few weeks - and then make requests to Tesla for improvements.

What's more important than the split screen changes is the usability of the interface. For typical operations, does it take more or fewer screen touches to perform the operation? If it takes less, then V9 is an improvement. If it takes more, then Tesla should look at additional improvements to V9 to make it easier to use.

Since the console display is intended to be used by a driver - while the vehicle is in motion, if V9 requires more screen interactions than V8, for functions used while the vehicle is in motion (such as climate/media player controls) - then fixing that should be a high priority (and perhaps more important than the split screen changes).

• Disagree
Reactions: neroden
If BSM works well now, then the need to have the camera on all of the time is no longer needed. Has anyone tested the BSM on V9? How reliable is it?
For me it works well EXCEPT for directly backwards. Even with cars fully stopped it may show a vehicle and it may show empty. But others have said it might need time to calibrate - this is early with < 50 miles on .39.

Every time Tesla introduces UI "improvements", it's been two steps forward, one step back.

With V9, we've lost the ability to have two non-NAV apps displayed at the same time, and the ability to put a non-NAV app at the top of the display. But, we now have the ability to control the height of some of the apps, so they are no longer required to take up 1/2 of the display.

Before getting too concerned about this, recommend you try the new UI for a few weeks - and then make requests to Tesla for improvements.

What's more important than the split screen changes is the usability of the interface. For typical operations, does it take more or fewer screen touches to perform the operation? If it takes less, then V9 is an improvement. If it takes more, then Tesla should look at additional improvements to V9 to make it easier to use.

Since the console display is intended to be used by a driver - while the vehicle is in motion, if V9 requires more screen interactions than V8, for functions used while the vehicle is in motion (such as climate/media player controls) - then fixing that should be a high priority (and perhaps more important than the split screen changes).

I can try the new UI for months and it won't change the fact that I have to look at the bottom of the screen to activate options, that I have to look at the bottom of the screen to observe the camera, that a very useful screen is now taken up almost entirely by a NAV utility that I don't need more than three times a year. It's less safe to take my eyes off the road and observe the bottom of the screen as opposed to the top of the screen. That's not going to change.

If BSM works well now, then the need to have the camera on all of the time is no longer needed. Has anyone tested the BSM on V9? How reliable is it?

There are several thousand Tesla's without AP or BSM. But who cares about them... Model 3 is out.

Keep in mind, people have been driving with their rear view cam as an aid for >5 years... taking it away, degrading the experience they've gotten used to and benefited from... just because some UX manager didn't want to compromise their design aspect is... dumb, inconsiderate and offends long time owners.

They're in their own bubble...they used to read the forums. I don't think they do anymore, so much of this is just echo chamber noise. That said, I signed...

V9 is a UI improvement is almost every way. I highly doubt the small minority of people who insist on having the camera at the top are going to cause tesla to completely rethink their design.
Except it is a safety issue rather than a cosmetic issue. No question in my mind that having the camera view on top is safer as you can still see the road and the screen as you don't have to look as far down.

Reactions: sorka
Having the ability to customize the screen with the apps in any order is one of the biggest advantages the Model S/X had over any other car out there. I.E. not a button X does X only, but set up but able to but customized for any situation. While 80% of the time I have maps on top and music on the bottom, that other 20% (Road trips mostly) it's great to have the option to have the browser or camera on top with energy on the bottom! Biggest thing I loved with the car is that ability to use the screen in a more customized way pending on the situation. At one point I had my trunk full because I was moving and it was fantastic to be able to put the rear camera on top since my rear view mirror was unavailable.
I greatly prefer the ability to choose the two apps and not be forced into maps on top at all times and don't plan to upgrade anytime soon.

Note: Actually there’s way more cars than that - ALL pre-AP2.0 Model S/X do not get the new blind spot detection, not only the non-AP cars.

Exactly. Always on rear cam is basically BSM for non-AP/Pre-AP2 cars. Even with BSM, I still trust/use the rear cam more.

I agree with 'wayner'; they are removing a safety feature some of us relied on.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
Id also like to remind everyone to PLEASE submit an executive review on the issue via your account on the Tesla website. We need them to have a wall of requests so that the issue will be addressed! Everyone who posts about the issue here should also submit a request for executive review, JUST AVOIDING THE UPDATE DOES NOTHING TO FIX THE ISSUE and its likely that your car will need a repair at some point that requires a software update!!:rolleyes:o_O

To do this, Login to your account and then select manage your vehicle. Under the support section use the drop down to select executive escalation. Then in the box below describe your issue

for example... @Verranzo you could submit your message above to Tesla with some extra context that version 9 no longer allows you to customize the top half of the screen...

Maybe something like
Version 9 software no longer allows me to customize the top half of my center display. Having the ability to customize the screen with the apps in any order is one of the biggest advantages the Model S/X had over any other car out there. I.E. not a button X does X only, but can be customized for any situation. It's great to have the option to have the browser or camera on top with energy on the bottom! Biggest thing I loved with the car is that ability to use the screen in a more customized way pending on the situation. At one point I had my trunk full because I was moving and it was fantastic to be able to put the rear camera on top since my rear view mirror was unavailable. I greatly prefer the ability to choose the two apps and not be forced into maps on top at all times and don't plan to upgrade anytime soon.

My executive review comment:

Model S UI Version 9 has removed the features that allow me to drive my Model S safely.

Prior to the most recent update my default screen selection was camera on top and phone/audio on the bottom. By removing the split screen feature, I now lose the rear facing camera view when I switch to phone/audio.

For me, having the camera on at all times is essential. It allows me to assess the following distance of the car behind me. It allows me to know how far I am in a parking space. It allows me to know exactly how far to pull into my garage.

I had exactly zero complaints with the previous version of the UI and now I have exactly zero good things to say about the latest version of the UI.

Please bring the independent split screen feature back so I can love driving my Tesla again.

Thanks,
John

Reactions: sorka and f-stop