TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Petition denouncing NJ ban of Tesla sales

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by PeterJA, Mar 18, 2014.

1. PeterJA

PeterJA Member

2. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I don't have an opinion on the petition, not being from NJ (or USA for that matter)... but please don't anyone start into partisan politics here. All offenders will be sent to the "Political Quarantine".

Thanks!

-mod

3. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

The only thing that will be accomplished by signing this petition is you will be giving your email address to the Democratic party. They're using the Tesla situation to gather email addresses of people who have a reason to oppose Christie. Both parties have used "petitions" about a current issue to collect email addresses of potential supporters. Sign at your own risk.

4. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

True, but I already get e-mails from both political parties and it's easy enough to 'unsubscribe' afterwards. I'll sign the petition as it adds to the noise level and brings it to the attention of the NJ legislature.

5. evme

evme Member

Obviously parties love to use politics of the opposition. But this is an email, big deal. You can make a new email just for this and never even read the email. It is not like your giving away your address or phone number.

6. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Including the original post, and the article that spawned it?

7. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Trying to strike a balance here. We decided to permit the posting of the petition... with some reservations.

Just to be clear, we would be perfectly happy to have a relevant political discussion in this forum if the participants could be counted on to remain civil. What we don't want is partisan bickering descending into name calling. Unfortunately that is what always happens.

- - - Updated - - -

Also I just moved one post to Politics - Quarantine Thread - Page 17 because it was unnecessarily rude towards a political figure, and therefore likely to cause dissent.

8. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I guess I'm just having trouble seeing the balance.

It seems that the current approach is "you can post a link to anything political you want" even if any reasonable reply would be immediately banished to the quarantined thread. Seems a bit of a one-sided policy to me, and counter to productive discussion.

9. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

We decided to allow it since it was a petition in favor of Tesla's business model. If we could expect reasonable discussion here then we would allow said discussion, but that is clearly not what would happen.

In any case I'm not going to engage in a debate over site moderation policies in this thread, so this is my last comment on the subject.