Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Petition: Expand Early Access Program

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey there,

I’m sure many of us would love early access to beta/alpha software builds.

Inspired by one of reddit member’s post I’ve created a petition asking Tesla to expand the EAP (Early Access Program) to everyone wishing to participate. To make this a reality and get our voices heard we’re gonna need as many signatures as possible, so please sign, support and share! :)

Here’s the petition - Sign the Petition

A kind request to the moderators to mark this thread as a sticky for a couple of days.

All the best,
Paul

• Funny
  • Disagree
Reactions: dbldwn02 and ABC2D
Hey there,

I’m sure many of us would love early access to beta/alpha software builds.

Inspired by one of reddit member’s post I’ve created a petition asking Tesla to expand the EAP (Early Access Program) to everyone wishing to participate. To make this a reality and get our voices heard we’re gonna need as many signatures as possible, so please sign, support and share! :)

Here’s the petition - Sign the Petition

A kind request to the moderators to mark this thread as a sticky for a couple of days.

All the best,
Paul

You really don't understand the purpose of an Early Access Program. It's not for end users, it is for the developers. In addition, it is for collecting information, which becomes unwieldly as the number of participants increase. And also, the last thing that a company wants it to have people complaining, even suing if there is an issue with the software.

The early access program doesn't really work the way you think it would.

You'd think as a member that you'd get early access to updates, but that isn't how it works.

Instead Tesla rolls out an update to only some random number of early access people to get the data they're collecting. The early access people don't get to have any choice on which firmware they want.

It's basically like volunteering your car, and your time without any guarantee of ever getting an Early access release.

If that's something you really want to do then you should be able to apply with some kind of explanation as to why you'd be a good fit.

But, it shouldn't be a reward for anything. It shouldn't be looked at as something you'd actually want unless you're really into testing SW with all the caveats that it comes with.

Personally I think they should change it to allow the end user to have some control. Like an EAP member would have a toggle button that said "Stable Releases" or "Preview Releases", and that would govern what was downloaded.

Then the EAP program would have it's own bug tracker website so the EAP people have a place to submit bugs, and review bugs submitted by other people. It should be like an army of unpaid Volunteer Tesla workers.

Pure speculation here but there are likely conditions one needs to meet that Tesla monitors for good candidates before they are asked to be part of early access program. #1 is likely wifi connection. The rest are likely how often AP is engaged, how many interventions (no point giving someone early access if the roads they drive require heavy intervention - would be so many false positives generated). Stuff like that. And there are lots of bugs, wouldn’t be in a rush to get on the program.

I purchased FSD with the car so I should be in the group getting invited to join EAP. I believe they said "next month" so we'll see.

Personally, I don't need to be part of EAP, I would prefer they give us "Priority Access to Vehicle Software Updates" (in line with people who had 4 referrals). Of course, I have seen several posts of people who should have Priority Access but have not received priority access.