Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Petition for Spotify on US Tesla Cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why do you have to categorize legitimate complaints as caterwauling? This is the 2nd thread after you started the same thing in the tow-hitch thread where you are berating people for having different priorities than you.

Tesla have been lagging on the infotainment area... badly... for quite a while. They offer streaming music but they don't offer iPhone/iPod music integration. They just deleted XM from the Model 3. Tesla's three biggest competitors, Audi, Mercedes, BMW... all of them offer Spotify integration and Carplay/Android-Auto. Spotify is the most popular music streaming service on the planet and Tesla supporting it would probably be trivial.

I'm sure we all get it that this stuff doesn't matter to you, but it does to a lot of people. The smart-alecky "then order something else" is just disregarding something that isn't important to you but is to others.

Actually, Audi JUST started offering it. I have a 2015 with no spotify, or android/Apple.

And yet, I trudge on.

In the overall sense of what Elon is trying to accomplish, it's absolutely frivolous.

Unless I've been reading the Master Plans wrong all these years.

Disagree all you want, even take it personal and have it ruin your day.

Give a compelling reason other than "I want it".

At least in this thread, it can be accomplished through software should Elon have a change of heart.

I'm disheartened by some of the responses in this thread. I initially planned a longer response, but it's easier for me to point to my thoughts here: Snippy forum and save everyone the redundancy.

@bigsaul for the record, your request is completely reasonable. Tesla is the only serious electric car maker on the market right now. I strongly disagree with those who say we should simply buy other cars. Those so quick to write off small requests of a company we all love speak as if there's a plethora of viable EV competitors out there to choose from; there is not a single one.

Thank you for starting this thread and for linking to the petition. The only way we can agitate for change within the companies we love is to, well... agitate!

(Let us also not forget that several years ago Elon promised a full, robust app store for Tesla cars.)

Reactions: jsmay311 and DR61
Tesla's Spotify app already exists in Europe. Why can't Tesla make the app available to us who already have paid Spotify accounts, so we can login and use our own accounts? Not asking for a freebie from Tesla, just the ability to use what I already pay for using an app that has already been built and is already implemented.

Reactions: Callahan
It is totally possible that they signed an agreement with Slacker to be the sole built in music provider for Tesla in the US in return for favorable pricing.

Very true, and highly likely. It's too easy today to focus in what something ISN'T rather than what it IS.

I am grateful I am in a position to purchase a well-optioned Model 3. If it lacks one feature or option I was hoping for, I'm ok with that. The bigger picture of what the car IS is more important to me.

I'm sorry if that's disheartening. I tend to see it as pragmatic.

No one cares about that and honestly It would be hard to beat Spotify. I love Spotify and am a subscriber.

In fact someone is working on a interface through the web browser...

Feedback on a US Spotify UI (that works!)

there we go speaking in absolutes again. I've never used spotify. I could not are any less about it. I'm not impressed nor intrigued by it, and I'm only 40.

I'm sure there are some older than me who feel the same way.

You aren't getting Spotify. Tesla is developing their own in house music streaming service as a way to give Spotify and Slacker the boot from their walled garden. Same thing for Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Tesla knows that they have something special with their wholly touchscreen cars and they don't want to share that space with companies they have or will come to see as competitors.

Vertical integration.

Your only choices will be pay for Tesla Music or stream whatever through BT from your phone. You may not also be able to use the Tesla Music service outside a Tesla in exchange for a cheaper monthly rate.

If I had my druthers in the matter, i would like Tesla to just extend in their car the Sonos experience, and allow me to put an SD card somewhere. Plus am,fm, and sat reception of course.
I have playlists that span my mp3, Amazon, apple, Pandora, etc. search across all services, tunein and Sirius xm integration via internet, etc etc. Just sync to it when in range of my home/sonos WiFi, and off I drive with a cache of the music and the playlists and services configuration.
But alas, I don’t get my druthers.

No sense trying to get Tesla to include Spotify, they won't do it, and even if they did, they'd overprice the heck out of the radio to receive it.

That's why my 3 will be a completely base model, and I will get my own Sirius receiver and put it in some way or another. I won't let Tesla dictate to me how I will listen to Sirius and Howard Stern in MY CAR, and I won't pay for their ridiculous option prices either.

No sense trying to get Tesla to include Spotify, they won't do it, and even if they did, they'd overprice the heck out of the radio to receive it.

Spotify would just be a native app. Tesla would not charge anything for it. I’m already a subscriber to begin with. So i’d just log in from the car.

I see at some point third party apps and some kind of App Store being integrated in the car. Third Party developers making apps for the car. Much like how it works with your iPhone.

It would be way better than slacker that’s for sure.

Reactions: Callahan and Big-T
Interesting sort of two-fer deal I stumbled across this morning.

I have a Moto 360 smartwatch, which I wore when tending to a campfire. Clearly a no-no with an LCD screen.......

So, now I'm in the market for a new smartwatch, and I've decided to get one with NFC built-in this time, on the off chance someone will allow me to set the watch up as a key for my Model 3.....

how does this tie back in to Spotify?

If you pre-order the new Samsung Gear Sport, you get 6 months of Spotify Premium for free.

Gear Sport, Black Wearables - SM-R600NZKAXAR | Samsung US

Of course.....it's only a "two-fer" for Tesla owners if they ever allow Spotify in US cars.

If not....you can at least get a newer smartwatch that might be able to open and drive your car soon.