Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Petition for the introduction of SentryMode in all AP2.0 cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: MTOman
So you feel as if you are entitled to a feature that was never on your vehicle for free? Or are you looking to have it offered just as an option you are willing to pay for?

I would be more than happy to pay for this feature if it was offered.

Signed. HW2 Owner without sentry mode
I would gladly pay for it...That's not the point though...The only way money will get it is if you just buy a new car....After being burned on AP1 and AP2.0 going down a winding path...I won't buy another Tesla until it is, in Elon's words, feature complete, but for the rest of us ACTUALLY WORKS. Tesla has burned some of us too any times to have any trust of words left.

While I would love to have sentry mode, I think we're all missing the point. This is a safety issue and we need to be asking why our cars can't do sentry mode.

Think of it this way: If our cars can't reliably detect a pedestrian walking up to it or around it, why should we believe it can reliably detect a pedestrian standing still as we're moving slowly through a parking lot? Everything is relative to the observer so there isn't much difference between the two scenarios.

And if we can't trust our cars to detect pedestrians at low speeds, why should we believe it will detect a kid running out in front of us chasing a ball? Even at 25mph, the fraction of a second that the computer brakes before you react could be the difference between just wetting your pants and having to bury someone's child.

I want answers. Not because I want a cool feature; But because I need to know if standard safety features like blindspot detection and auto emergency braking will work if I'm ever unfortunate enough need them.

I have no doubt that it can detect cars. Hell, it's so good at detecting cars that it occasionally finds ones I can't even see! But when it comes to pedestrians, it's very rare that I see the person avatar show on my dash. Even when people are walking in front of my car at a red light, it's 50/50 if I'll see one or two of them detected. This concerns me and I think we all need to be asking different questions.

I feel that it's more about them explaining why it can't do it than trying to force them to do it. That's all I want. If it's because the video would be in black/white or something like that then I'd be fine with them implementing it that way. But the big issue is that there may be other hardware processing limitations that are preventing us from having it. I just wish I knew about potentially missing out on these features before I paid nearly $100k for my AP2 MS P100D a few weeks ago.

While I would love to have sentry mode, I think we're all missing the point. This is a safety issue and we need to be asking why our cars can't do sentry mode.

Think of it this way: If our cars can't reliably detect a pedestrian walking up to it or around it, why should we believe it can reliably detect a pedestrian standing still as we're moving slowly through a parking lot? Everything is relative to the observer so there isn't much difference between the two scenarios.

And if we can't trust our cars to detect pedestrians at low speeds, why should we believe it will detect a kid running out in front of us chasing a ball? Even at 25mph, the fraction of a second that the computer brakes before you react could be the difference between just wetting your pants and having to bury someone's child.

I want answers. Not because I want a cool feature; But because I need to know if standard safety features like blindspot detection and auto emergency braking will work if I'm ever unfortunate enough need them.

I have no doubt that it can detect cars. Hell, it's so good at detecting cars that it occasionally finds ones I can't even see! But when it comes to pedestrians, it's very rare that I see the person avatar show on my dash. Even when people are walking in front of my car at a red light, it's 50/50 if I'll see one or two of them detected. This concerns me and I think we all need to be asking different questions.
I'm confused by all those comments. I wonder if you understand that sentry mode does. It's not a safety feature.

Wanting to know why it's not supported is certainly reasonable. I thought I had read speculation that the issue was in the ability to write the video files to the USB? I haven't seen someone say it's because the cameras can't detect pedestrians.

Reactions: drklain
Given the only difference between 2.0 and 2.5 is the extra onboard processing power, I guess they must have tested 2.0 and show that it could not keep up with the processing power needed by DashCam/Sentry Mode? Another reason could be that to make it work on 2.0 cars, they need to come up with different software sets (deviate from 2.5 cars) and they just don't want to spend the time to do that.. or it could be in work... and be rolled out later.

• Disagree
Reactions: drklain
Given the only difference between 2.0 and 2.5 is the extra onboard processing power, I guess they must have tested 2.0 and show that it could not keep up with the processing power needed by DashCam/Sentry Mode? Another reason could be that to make it work on 2.0 cars, they need to come up with different software sets (deviate from 2.5 cars) and they just don't want to spend the time to do that.. or it could be in work... and be rolled out later.

APE2.0 has different cameras , to make it look nicer it would require to to extrapolate colors (which is doable, tesla is just lazy), as of 19.8 all dashcam processing and Senty mode is done on Parker B (second autopilot node) in ap2.5 , APE2 hw just don't have that node to begin with. We tried to get dashcam working on APE2 but it seams to be more involved than we thought and some libraries are missing on APE2 compare to APE2.5

APE2.0 has different cameras , to make it look nicer it would require to to extrapolate colors (which is doable, tesla is just lazy), as of 19.8 all dashcam processing and Senty mode is done on Parker B (second autopilot node) in ap2.5 , APE2 hw just don't have that node to begin with. We tried to get dashcam working on APE2 but it seams to be more involved than we thought and some libraries are missing on APE2 compare to APE2.5

I didn't know that 2.0 got different camera. I was reading an old article saying that 2.5 is more like 2.1 and only different is the extra processing power. If the camera is different, does it mean you can't get FSD even if they update to HW 3.0 which they said is only replacing the AP computer with a faster one.

I didn't know that 2.0 got different camera. I was reading an old article saying that 2.5 is more like 2.1 and only different is the extra processing power. If the camera is different, does it mean you can't get FSD even if they update to HW 3.0 which they said is only replacing the AP computer with a faster one.

It's different cameras, different radar, different eFuse, different steering servos and some different redundant wiring.

That was probably an article based on one of Elon's usual Twitter storms where he did say "it's only a computer upgrade nothing else has been changed" Only to find out later that it's a new radar, different cameras, possibly some redundancies in mechanical parts of the car....in short MORE than the AP computer. Just yet another Elon statement of misleading information. Pretty sad......pretty sad...

As far as HW3.0 and FSD - that is still completely up in the air. I feel about 80% secure that we will receive it based on some direct emails I have had with a few higher ups at Tesla but even things Elon says don't always to come to pass...so there is that..

I'm confused by all those comments. I wonder if you understand that sentry mode does. It's not a safety feature.
Sentry mode is a security feature that's built on top of the safety features that already exist in our cars. It should be relatively easy to add this as an an end-user security feature if all of the safety features are already in place.

Sentry mode is a security feature that's built on top of the safety features that already exist in our cars. It should be relatively easy to add this as an an end-user security feature if all of the safety features are already in place.

You are comparing apples and oranges here.

Sentry mode is built on top of the TeslaCam mode, not on the various driving related safety features.

AP2.0 cars don’t have the ability to support the TeslaCam and hence no Sentry mode.

What you are really asking for is a completely different code path to provide Sentry mode on AP2.0 in a different way to AP2.5....

This isn’t a measure of ability to deliver driving safety features, it is just an indication that it would involve a non-trivial amount of effort to deliver the same feature in a different way for AP2.0...