Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Petition for the introduction of SentryMode in all AP2.0 cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does it at least make sound and display something on the screen when someone bumps or hits the car?

It shows the sentry screen thingy, and says in the botttom right it’s recording, Even though it’s not. I haven’t been able to get it to play music yet even though I’ve triggered events, if I get some time later I’ll attack the car with pillows to see if it triggers the music.

I have .12, the sentry mode DOES NOT WORK in AP2.0 !! It records nothing, sends nothing to Tesla, it's all a lie for now! This is fact.
Yep and I spent $50 bucks on a good flash drive because in the release notes it told me I had now received Sentry Mode. After several attempts I see clips on the drive but only at 1MB so nothing is recording. Disappointed that the release note did notes did not say AP2 is FAUX SENTRY. Trying to set that up was a waste of time and money.

Yep and I spent $50 bucks on a good flash drive because in the release notes it told me I had now received Sentry Mode. After several attempts I see clips on the drive but only at 1MB so nothing is recording. Disappointed that the release note did notes did not say AP2 is FAUX SENTRY. Trying to set that up was a waste of time and money.

I agree. The release notes should just say that recording, sound etc only work with vehicles newer than August 2017, or whatever. That would clear up the confusion and end lots of frustration for those of us trying to get things to work that won't.

Without sentry mode, AP2.0 cars will probably end up having higher insurance premiums as damage less likely to be claimed from the 3rd party.
I can't speak for insurance in the UK, but in America, the wife says no. She's been working with insurance companies for 30 years on claims. Apparently it is insignificant and lesser of a problem as compared to other types of claims.

Huh
S100D AP2 here. I called service when the SW update first said I now have Sentry mode, but it did not work. They tried to help then sent me to a service center. The technician listened intensely, verified my flash drive was formatted and set up correct then said leave it with us. I told them it was a Jun 2017 car, AP2 and he waived me off.

Two hours later the verdict was “does not work on AP 2. It’s a firmware issue to be rectified in a future SW update.”

Based on this thread, that too was incorrect.

So it seems not only are customers kept in the dark, so too are the service centers.

When do we get our HW3 upgrade? Ha...

Huh
S100D AP2 here. I called service when the SW update first said I now have Sentry mode, but it did not work. They tried to help then sent me to a service center. The technician listened intensely, verified my flash drive was formatted and set up correct then said leave it with us. I told them it was a Jun 2017 car, AP2 and he waived me off.

Two hours later the verdict was “does not work on AP 2. It’s a firmware issue to be rectified in a future SW update.”

Based on this thread, that too was incorrect.

So it seems not only are customers kept in the dark, so too are the service centers.

When do we get our HW3 upgrade? Ha...

Umm, I’ve been saying on every release it doesn’t work or do anything on AP2, including 19.3. I’ll glady report when it actually works, but I’m not holding my breath.

Reactions: Art VandeIay
While I would love to have sentry mode, I think we're all missing the point. This is a safety issue and we need to be asking why our cars can't do sentry mode.

Think of it this way: If our cars can't reliably detect a pedestrian walking up to it or around it, why should we believe it can reliably detect a pedestrian standing still as we're moving slowly through a parking lot? Everything is relative to the observer so there isn't much difference between the two scenarios.

And if we can't trust our cars to detect pedestrians at low speeds, why should we believe it will detect a kid running out in front of us chasing a ball? Even at 25mph, the fraction of a second that the computer brakes before you react could be the difference between just wetting your pants and having to bury someone's child.

I want answers. Not because I want a cool feature; But because I need to know if standard safety features like blindspot detection and auto emergency braking will work if I'm ever unfortunate enough need them.

I have no doubt that it can detect cars. Hell, it's so good at detecting cars that it occasionally finds ones I can't even see! But when it comes to pedestrians, it's very rare that I see the person avatar show on my dash. Even when people are walking in front of my car at a red light, it's 50/50 if I'll see one or two of them detected. This concerns me and I think we all need to be asking different questions.

Here's your answer: it can't. AP2.0 is not good enough for FSD, despite what Elon has said in the past. Tesla has been pushing the envelope of what cars can do with the computer processing technology available at the time. AP2.0 is not good enough for FSD, and it never will be, which is why Tesla's new in-house designed chip will be required for FSD in the future. AP2.5 computers are faster than AP2.0 and can enable some features (such as sentry mode) which aren't currently possible in AP2.0

It may be that software optimizations can allow Sentry Mode, or some scaled down version of it, in AP2.0 cars in the future. Or maybe not; we don't know, unless someone from Tesla software engineering wants to pipe up. Otherwise, the option is to upgrade to AP3.0, or get a dash cam and configure it to use parking mode.

That said, AP2.0 can still do wayyyy more amazing features that no other vehicle sold in the entire world can do. So that's where it currently stands, and technology will continue its slow, steady march according to Moore's Law.

U should stopped making fun of the AP2 owners who want sentry mode

Elon was the one saying it would come to AP2+ cars. Not us.

Elon was the one screwing up, not us.

U don’t see AP1 owners complained about it because Elon never made such promise to AP1 owners.

Stop generalizing us like a bunch of idiots who feel entitled.

I can’t wait to see when new features only apply to HW3 owners, let’s see how many AP2.5 owners start complaining. They are now reasonable and “civilized “

Sorry for “generalizing you like a bunch of idiots”, but if humor can’t be taken in the proper spirit then you and I will never directly communicate again. However with that being said, IF they truly solve FSD then Tesla will get an immediate check from me for whatever they charge for FSD, because it will then be worth it. You won’t “see how many AP2.5 owners start complaining”, at least not from me, because I will gladly pay for it. Not whine and complain I did not get extra goodies just “because Elon said”. He has done that enough in the past that I simply decided to just man up and PAY EXTRA for post-purchase stuff I truly want, if and when they finally deliver on those I deem useful to me. But at this point I do indeed have everything I want in my S75D, because that’s what I wanted and that’s the price I agreed to pay at that point in time. When they come out with add’l stuff that I may want then again, I will PAY for it, not sit back and complain hoping to get it free.
My ‘39 Fiat still does not have BT simply because at the time of purchase they did not offer it. So if now they do, I would have to again MAN UP and PAY for it. Not whine and complain.

My ms is an Aug 2017 build and it probably has AP2.0. I too bought an expensive flash drive expecting it to record video, but it doesn't. When the vehicle is off and parked wouldn't you expect the processor to loaf? Clearly, much more processing power is needed while driving vs parked. Storing video clips is not a complex processing function. Shouldn't Tesla engineering be able do Sentry on AP2.0 vehicles? IMHO, it can't be much more work than developing fart mode.

Sorry for “generalizing you like a bunch of idiots”, but if humor can’t be taken in the proper spirit then you and I will never directly communicate again. However with that being said, IF they truly solve FSD then Tesla will get an immediate check from me for whatever they charge for FSD, because it will then be worth it. You won’t “see how many AP2.5 owners start complaining”, at least not from me, because I will gladly pay for it. Not whine and complain I did not get extra goodies just “because Elon said”. He has done that enough in the past that I simply decided to just man up and PAY EXTRA for post-purchase stuff I truly want, if and when they finally deliver on those I deem useful to me. But at this point I do indeed have everything I want in my S75D, because that’s what I wanted and that’s the price I agreed to pay at that point in time. When they come out with add’l stuff that I may want then again, I will PAY for it, not sit back and complain hoping to get it free.
My ‘39 Fiat still does not have BT simply because at the time of purchase they did not offer it. So if now they do, I would have to again MAN UP and PAY for it. Not whine and complain.

Hey I'm sorry for my tone above, apparently I myself was in a whiny and complaining mood. Regretfully, I am unable to edit that post. Please accept my apology.

Reactions: JD01
What do people mean by Sentry Model "does not work"? I believe it does provide the alarm function on AP2.0 cars, and I expect an alert to be sent to the phone in the event of a break-in. It's true that the video function is not supported; however, if you have an IRO dashcam installed in the car, Sentry mode will supply power to the dashcam, and enable recording while the car is parked. The dashcam is completely hidden in the rear view mirror housing,

Reactions: Art VandeIay
What do people mean by Sentry Model "does not work"? I believe it does provide the alarm function on AP2.0 cars, and I expect an alert to be sent to the phone in the event of a break-in. It's true that the video function is not supported; however, if you have an IRO dashcam installed in the car, Sentry mode will supply power to the dashcam, and enable recording while the car is parked. The dashcam is completely hidden in the rear view mirror housing,

There is a separate alarm function that does work... but that is not the new Sentry Mode, which displays a glowing "Hal" eye in the touchscreen and uses the vehicle cameras to record the surroundings (e.g. the faces of would-be burglers). The latter, Sentry Mode, appears to work on AP2 vehicles, i.e. it can be 'activated', but it doesn't record any videos so it is not really working. (It does work properly in newer vehicles.)

Also, when Sentry Mode is activated, the cabin overheat protection no longer works, which is a big disadvantage in warm climates (I am in NM). Maybe that will be fixed in a future update? There are other threads describing that problem. For now, I have Sentry Mode turned off.

There is a separate alarm function that does work... but that is not the new Sentry Mode, which displays a glowing "Hal" eye in the touchscreen and uses the vehicle cameras to record the surroundings (e.g. the faces of would-be burglers). The latter, Sentry Mode, appears to work on AP2 vehicles, i.e. it can be 'activated', but it doesn't record any videos so it is not really working. (It does work properly in newer vehicles.)

Also, when Sentry Mode is activated, the cabin overheat protection no longer works, which is a big disadvantage in warm climates (I am in NM). Maybe that will be fixed in a future update? There are other threads describing that problem. For now, I have Sentry Mode turned off.

I parked at the airport for a week-long business trip and left Sentry Mode turned on. When I parked the car there was 55% battery. When I returned seven days later the battery was down to 17%. I've never had that level of battery degradation during similar trips previously so I'm attributing the battery drain to Sentry Mode.
I've definitely disabled it in my AP2.0 car.

While I would love to have sentry mode, I think we're all missing the point. This is a safety issue and we need to be asking why our cars can't do sentry mode.

Think of it this way: If our cars can't reliably detect a pedestrian walking up to it or around it, why should we believe it can reliably detect a pedestrian standing still as we're moving slowly through a parking lot? Everything is relative to the observer so there isn't much difference between the two scenarios.

And if we can't trust our cars to detect pedestrians at low speeds, why should we believe it will detect a kid running out in front of us chasing a ball? Even at 25mph, the fraction of a second that the computer brakes before you react could be the difference between just wetting your pants and having to bury someone's child.

I want answers. Not because I want a cool feature; But because I need to know if standard safety features like blindspot detection and auto emergency braking will work if I'm ever unfortunate enough need them.

I have no doubt that it can detect cars. Hell, it's so good at detecting cars that it occasionally finds ones I can't even see! But when it comes to pedestrians, it's very rare that I see the person avatar show on my dash. Even when people are walking in front of my car at a red light, it's 50/50 if I'll see one or two of them detected. This concerns me and I think we all need to be asking different questions.
I hung a curtain in the middle of my garage and drove at it slowly. Several times. The car (2016 MX) did not apply the brakes. Don't know it it's the low speed (creep) or what. May try to find a way to do same thing at a higher speed some day.