Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Petition Tesla to make the Model 3 Performance 0-60 <3s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No. Anyone who has added stickier tires reported no difference. Lighter wheels do help of course.

I bet we could get to a 3 second 0 to 60 with going light weight for all suspension, wheels etc. and performing some minor surgery on the car interior for weight loss.

Point of information, that's not a burnout. ;)
True but it shows the car can spin the tires. It certainly would from a stop if traction control was turned off.
I'm familiar with burnouts. I used to do 6000 rpm clutch drops in my S2000 all the time :)

It's software that is preventing the wheels from slipping. The car has MORE than enough torque to spin the tires from a standstill.

Switched reluctance motors traditionally have problems with cogging at low RPMs. I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla programmed in a reduced maximum torque off the line to limit this tendency (though we don't know how prone their PMSR motor is to it, since PMSR isn't exactly the same as classic switched reluctance.)

t depends on the design, and switching frequency, but the switching losses are often quite considerable. The heating is strongly related to the current being passed, which is highest at high load and lower speeds.

This still seems very vague and hand waving. Do you have a reference?

If I look at 3 phase inverters, such as: http://www.ti.com/lit/ug/tidudj9/tidudj9.pdf I find that they are rated for a maximum voltage and power output, but I don't see anything in the data sheet about power dissipation being mostly dependent on current, etc. What I do see is equations showing that the main component of dissipated power is proportional to V^2 (see section 2.2.1.10).

Generally, I'm seeing a lot of claims like "yeah, idiot of course it's at the limit already" but pretty much nothing in the way of quantifying that.

You can't just make a volume knob turn more and suddenly get higher output. This thinking shows a fundamental misunderstanding of how the hardware works.

right but youre assuming the speakers (and motors/battery) are set to 100% output - if all of your speakers output isnt being fully utilized, you can program the settings to raise in proportion to their current settings based on available output left

you really think that, even not considering Marchs 5% increase, that the p3d battery is 100% tapped for power? And that changes to the acceleration algorithm couldnt improve speed?

you guys gotta free your minds

True but it shows the car can spin the tires. It certainly would from a stop if traction control was turned off.
I'm familiar with burnouts. I used to do 6000 rpm clutch drops in my S2000 all the time :)
That isn't a guarantee that it would see tire spin without traction control. If people who get stickier tires don't see improved time, it suggests that TC isn't even being triggered.

right but youre assuming the speakers (and motors/battery) are set to 100% output - if all of your speakers output isnt being fully utilized, you can program the settings to raise in proportion to their current settings based on available output left

you really think that, even not considering Marchs 5% increase, that the p3d battery is 100% tapped for power? And that changes to the acceleration algorithm couldnt improve speed?

you guys gotta free your minds

I have no doubt the system has overhead. The question is what impact utilizing that overhead has. I don't know how much room the cell links have, but if they were to heat the battery it should allow for considerably more power output from the pack. Although the cooling architecture might make this rather problematic since the battery isn't on a dedicated circuit with a separate heater. And if the concern is 0-60, the max power only occurs above ~50MPH. So the battery isn't really the major limit anyways. Unless Tesla comes out and says this officially, its all effectively speculation. I'm not sure being confident Tesla is intentionally limiting the car is the most likely option, but it very much is possible.

People tune stock cars and unlock good power all the time. Does this make the manufacture irresponsible, or hyper conservative? It's a very competitive market, I just don't see the incentive to intentionally hold back. I believe its reasonable to assume they have a better understanding of the vehicle than you and I, and they have valid reasons for this beyond product cannibalization. That would mean they could ship wimpier hardware and run it harder to get the same performance at lower cost.

Last edited:
Given than ANY ICE car that put down 472 lb-ft at 1 rpm would spin it's tires without traction control, why can't the M3P?

That's not true, if you're talking about torque at the wheels. That's not even close to enough to spin the wheels.

The Model 3 Performance after the 5% bump puts out something like 490 lb-ft of torque, counting front and rear motors together (but not at 1rpm, it's more like at 333rpm, around 3mph - just rough numbers here), but there is a ~9:1 drive ratio, so total to the wheels is at most 4400 lb-ft of torque. There's some loss so the real number is something closer to 4000 lb-ft of torque, which translates to 3700 pounds to the ground due to a 13.2 inch wheel radius - which results in acceleration of less than 0.9g. That's not nearly enough to spin the tires in a straight line on a good surface - even all-season tires can pull a bit over 1g (just look at stopping distances to figure that one out)!

The reason ICE cars with similar torque at the crank can spin wheels is due to gearing...and not surprisingly they can also accelerate faster than a Model 3 Performance - for a time, and with various significant practical caveats.

• Informative
Reactions: Swampgator
So my old 305 hp Tundra was putting down more wheel torque due to gearing? And my old V6 FWD Camry? I did not know that.

Quite likely. You can do the math on those vehicles. Remember that with front wheel drive the front wheels receive all the power at the same time that they are somewhat unweighted, due to weight transfer. So in that case there is less normal force and the tires will slip sooner even with an excellent coefficient of friction (which can exceed 1) - so not necessarily more torque in that case.

Remember than when you change gears the ratio changes and torque is likely reduced (depends on HP curve)! So this condition of more torque (to the wheels) than a Model 3 is often only true in first gear!

Would you be willing to give up your warrantee in exchange for the performance boost? Faster acceleration is increased stress on the components, which makes them more likely to fail...

I think that’s a pretty obvious no for any normal person.

So is anyone going to give a quantitative answer for what would stop Tesla from increasing the acceleration at low speeds (eg why can’t they make a = 1.2g at 10 mph)? ...and to be clear this is a physics question, not a sales or philosophical question.

A vastly better handling car with a much nicer interior that's actually competent on a track for more than 1 lap?

They certainly charge more for that, and offer less interior space while doing it... but that's the same business model as basically every Porsche made for decades and they seem to sell ok doing it.

$187k for "more than 1 lap". You realize, with less significantly less range...you are not going to do lap after lap. The range matters too.

A Model 3P has done 33 laps at Laguna Seca. The Model S Raven has that tech.

Let's see what happens next week at the ring...Elon is up to something.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life