Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Petition the Canadian government to provide incentives for purchasing electric vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone,

Just like many of you, I'm on the wait list for the Tesla 3. After searching online for rebates/subsidies, I was disappointed to learn that there's nothing available in Saskatchewan. Currently the only provinces with incentives are British Columbia, Ontario and Quebec. The rest of us are out of luck.

I figured I've got a couple years before my 3 is delivered, maybe I can do something to urge the Canadian government to provide some sort of incentive, similar to what the US has in place.

So today I created a website and started a petition in hopes of getting the governments attention. It's worth a shot right?

If you are interested in helping, please take 2 minutes to sign and share the petition

Government of Canada: Federal Government incentives for Canadians purchasing new electric vehicles (EV).

Thanks everyone!

twitter: @EVIncentivesCA

Hey everyone,

Just like many of you, I'm on the wait list for the Tesla 3. After searching online for rebates/subsidies, I was disappointed to learn that there's nothing available in Saskatchewan. Currently the only provinces with incentives are British Columbia, Ontario and Quebec. The rest of us are out of luck.
With Wall in power he'd rather go for a swim in the North Saskatchewan River than do anything positive for the environment. I used to get a rebate from SGI for driving a fuel efficient car, but he came into power and stopped all rebate programs for energy efficiency.

Edit: The link you gave for the web site is broken. It's posted as http:// http:

Not wanting to be a killjoy, especially since the goal is 100% admirable and the petition is well stated, but why would this online petition have validity when almost all of them don't? Why should any politician even sniff at something that's unverifiable? Without big luck, it's big bucks: paying for a lobbyist.

Not wanting to be a killjoy, especially since the goal is 100% admirable and the petition is well stated, but why would this online petition have validity when almost all of them don't? Why should any politician even sniff at something that's unverifiable? Without big luck, it's big bucks: paying for a lobbyist.

Very valid point. I've thought the same thing about petitions, they rarely have any success. I honestly just wanted start a discussion that currently wasn't happening.

If we can raise awareness, maybe we can capture the attention of someone that can help us push this forward. It's worth a shot.

Currently the only provinces with incentives are British Columbia, Ontario and Quebec. The rest of us are out of luck.

When I bought my car in 2014, the PST increased from 7% to 10% (the "luxury vehicle tax"), so on $100k, that was an extra $10k. Sure, BC gave me a $5k rebate, but if I bought the car in Alberta it would have cost me $5k less. So being "out of luck" in Alberta is having an extra $5k in your pocket after buying the same vehicle.

If BC was serious about promoting the transition to EV's, there would be no PST on electric vehicles. But rather than do that, BC (at the likely lobbying of GM) decided recently to give no rebates on an electric vehicle over $77k -- but the PST still increases to 10%! That's some incentive.

Lobbying is the only way to get the government to do anything. That's why we hand over $34 billion in subsidies to big oil and give no federal rebate to EV's. And it's also why our new liberal government has ensured these subsidizes will remain in place, even locking some in until 2025.

While this online petition was started with good intentions, unless you line the pockets of politicians with campaign contributions nothing will change.

When I bought my car in 2014, the PST increased from 7% to 10% (the "luxury vehicle tax"), so on $100k, that was an extra $10k. Sure, BC gave me a $5k rebate, but if I bought the car in Alberta it would have cost me $5k less. So being "out of luck" in Alberta is having an extra $5k in your pocket after buying the same vehicle.

If BC was serious about promoting the transition to EV's, there would be no PST on electric vehicles. But rather than do that, BC (at the likely lobbying of GM) decided recently to give no rebates on an electric vehicle over $77k -- but the PST still increases to 10%! That's some incentive.

Lobbying is the only way to get the government to do anything. That's why we hand over $34 billion in subsidies to big oil and give no federal rebate to EV's. And it's also why our new liberal government has ensured these subsidizes will remain in place, even locking some in until 2025.

While this online petition was started with good intentions, unless you line the pockets of politicians with campaign contributions nothing will change.

Well, Ontario is trying to waive the HST for EVs, but you know politicians.....

Hey everyone,

I figured I've got a couple years before my 3 is delivered, maybe I can do something to urge the Canadian government to provide some sort of incentive, similar to what the US has in place.

So today I created a website and started a petition in hopes of getting the governments attention. It's worth a shot right?

If you are interested in helping, please take 2 minutes to sign and share the petition

Government of Canada: Federal Government incentives for Canadians purchasing new electric vehicles (EV).

Thanks everyone!

twitter: @EVIncentivesCA

signed. up to 3391 now out of 5000 petitioners.

Reactions: Paul Carter