Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Petition to add tow hitch to Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I never thought in my life I would consider getting a tow hitch for a trailer, but I fully expect that there will be instances where I have to tow a small trailer for a trip... so yeah, Im with you... would love one! In Elon's tweet storm from yesterday he stated the hitch wouldn't be standard, but, didn't say anything else about when the option would be available...

I feel that we need to start a push to express our desire for a tow hitch on Model 3 so that it makes it to production soon.

Having a tow hitch largely removes the need for an ICE pickup truck since you can accomplish 90% of the tasks with a $1000 utility trailer.

It is such a glaring oversight.
I think that you need to grasp the reality that M3 is not capable of towing like an ICE pickup truck, if you need that capability maybe the M3 is not the car for you

I'm talking about towing 1000-2000 pounds....the equivalent of what you can throw in a truck's bed.
I don't know the exact specs of the car but 2k extra lbs? that sounds like it would be way too much payload for the car. Like I said if you need a hauler like that the M3 may not be the right tool for the job.

Last edited:
I think this is a do it yourself project driven by a need for light duty use on a regular basis. If you need occasional use, rent a vehicle. Costco has great pricing.

If you want to carry bikes on a class 3 hitch for torsional rigidity reasons, they should come out with a new standard, maybe D shaped, just for bike racks, with a 300 lb load limit. Maybe you add a short aluminum extrusion to the side of existing bike racks to take up the play (and form the D shape). No lights.

Until then, it is do it yourself, knowing the class 3 receiver hitch that you have installed on your car is misleading.

I feel that we need to start a push to express our desire for a tow hitch on Model 3 so that it makes it to production soon
On Apr 3, 2016 Elon tweeted about the Model 3 "There will be an optional tow hitch".

Then @Brokedoc on the Model 3 Owners Club forum posted on Aug 23, 2017, that he spoke to Javier Verdura, Tesla VP of Product Design, who confirmed the Model 3 would have a tow hitch but gave no details on towing capabilities.

Based on the Model X towing specs (5,000 lbs max weight of tow vehicle, 500 lbs max tongue weight), it seems plausible that the Model 3 could have towing specs of at least half that, and maybe two-thirds.

Of course range while towing is greatly decreased. On the Model X towing a modest sized camper trailer cuts range about in half. The Model 3 towing the same size trailer will have range reduced by even more because it is a smaller vehicle that pushes less air out of the way to achieve its range compared to the X. So it won't be able to tow as far. Still, it is likely to be able to tow a 20 ft 2,500 lb camper trailer something over 100 miles but likely not over 150 miles unless you are going slowly (under 55mph? Who knows...). Only you can decide if that is enough for you.

The Model X is obviously a better tow vehicle based on TMC reports but it is up to triple the price of a long range Model 3.

A couple of thoughts...

First, take a look at Bjorn Nyland's YouTube posts on towing in his Model X. SEVERELY cuts down range, and he is having to have his battery pack replaced by Tesla. (Not sure if the replacement battery is due solely to towing but...)

Two, Tesla is trying to bring this car to market. They are working through production delays, software updates, etc. etc. etc. I don't think they need to be worrying about trailer hitches right now. Maybe down the line in a year or so...maybe. But let's get the production line up and running first!

Dan

But then there was this.

upload_2017-10-6_20-52-41-png.252373

I cannot tell if that means tow hitch isn't standard, or tow hitch isn't available. Damn Twitter.

I'm not trying to move house across the country. I just want to be able to go to Home Depot and pick up some bulky materials. I don't care if I can only drive 100 miles. I just want the capability to be a homeowner without owning a truck or renting one monthly.
At a minimum, there will be an aftermarket hitch available at some point (as there is for Model S). The Model 3 will be a very capable tow vehicle for utility needs.

I'm not trying to move house across the country. I just want to be able to go to Home Depot and pick up some bulky materials. I don't care if I can only drive 100 miles. I just want the capability to be a homeowner without owning a truck or renting one monthly.
I'll repeat, if this is what you require from your vehicle, maybe the model 3 is not the vehicle for you.

Get a model S. That thing can haul more stuff then my X (6 seater)

I'll repeat, if this is what you require from your vehicle, maybe the model 3 is not the vehicle for you.
You can stop repeating yourself. Even the most basic cars have the ability to tow 1,000 - 2,000 utility trailers with a simple Class I hitch. Leaf, Prius..etc. Because you don’t have a use case, doesn’t mean others don’t as well. Just stop.

With the Model 3 in Production Hell right now, I would imagine that adding a hitch is a low priority. Getting the cars our as planned.

First option will be an aftermarket hitch. Later maybe a built in factory hitch as an option. Factory hitch will need to be coordinated with braking, and most likely automatic sway control. Testing in hot and cold weather conditions, beefing up the tires and wheels, braking balance installing proper wiring...lots of things. Not so simple or easy, or it would have come out of the blocks that way.

If you only need it for Home Depot stuff, they usually offer a half day pickup truck rental for $20. Easier than you buying or renting a trailer for those few times you might need it.

See demand for a lightweight hitch to carry bikes, skis, etc, but with the fold down rear seat, most all those things can be carried insided the car when necessary.

On the other hand, I use the hitch on my X quite a bit, so understand why it would be handy on the 3.