Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Petition to add tow hitch to Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The SeaSucker mounts work great on the model x for my skis and boards. Would recommend this over a hitch mounted ski rack. Will definitely use it on the model 3 (or whatever my next Tesla is) instead of any hitch option. But yes a hitch is needed for some things like utility trailers and bikes to some extent.

I feel that we need to start a push to express our desire for a tow hitch on Model 3 so that it makes it to production soon.
Having a tow hitch largely removes the need for an ICE pickup truck since you can accomplish 90% of the tasks with a $1000 utility trailer.
It is such a glaring oversight.

I'm in the camp that this came down to basic prioritization instead of it being an oversight. I have a Model S and added a hitch as I need it for carrying bikes. At this time, the Model 3 doesn't have roof rack mount points or an optional hitch. This is a bummer, but I get it. I probably will not purchase my Model 3 until at least one of these options makes it to production, or there is an aftermarket hitch solution. Regardless, I feel like I'm always swooping in on threads and reminding folks of just how radically moved up the Model 3 timeline is; and just how many hard choices and tradeoffs they've had to make in order to do this. I'm fine with this approach. Something had to give. And in this case, it's a lot of options and complexity; and things I want/need. I'm fine with some folks getting a far more "basic" Model 3 earlier than originally planned, and I'll wait for what I need, which I expect to be closer to the original timeline.

Tesla does not have to offer a hitch/tow bar themselves for now. But I would like them to rate the car to tow x amount with y tongue weight, etc. This way aftermarket hitches will be legal for towing in places that require this rating.

I think just about all smaller vehicles sold in Europe are rated to tow certain amounts.

Reactions: lukex4 and Haddock
I feel that we need to start a push to express our desire for a tow hitch on Model 3 so that it makes it to production soon.

Having a tow hitch largely removes the need for an ICE pickup truck since you can accomplish 90% of the tasks with a $1000 utility trailer.

In America at least, people don't tow with compact sedans. I suspect the take on a tow hitch would be minuscule.

As long as I can install a hitch like the ones offered for the S, I'm fine.

2016 Tesla Model S Trailer Hitch - Draw-Tite

A factory tow hitch would be great, but I'm happy as long as the 3 can accommodate a bolt-on aftermarket hitch.

The S is too expensive for most of us.

LOL there are used S cheaper than a new 3 (that will be delivered who knows when?)

Or same people who can not afford S need to have to have a new car?

Don't worry I won't disagree your post... even though it would be an example of a justified disagree.

@Porfiry I see you. VTB.

LOL there are used S cheaper than a new 3 (that will be delivered who knows when?)

Don't worry I won't disagree your post... even though it would be an example of a justified disagree.

@Porfiry I see you. VTB.
In purchase price, or TCO? I've seen some 60s sell in the high thirty thousand range, but they'll likely cost more to own than even the long-range/premium package 3 because of the Federal tax credit/state rebates (in some cases), less expensive tire options, longer warranty, and what I'm guessing will be better build quality. A base 3 would way less expensive across the board.

@Porfiry I see you. VTB.
I apologize for upsetting you by marking your post 'disagree'. I will try refrain from reacting to your posts in the future.

• Funny
Reactions: transpondster

You can get a lot of things delivered for $1000.
And you can hire a pickup truck plenty of times too.

A tow hitch requires a heavier chassis would reduce range for all Model 3 cars, even those whom we got a hitch.

I agree that a hitch is needed, but I just want it for a bike rack. I have bad shoulders which make lifting a bicycle problematic, so I was really hoping for a hitch. I hope we find out soon if an aftermarket hitch is even a possibility - it's entirely possible that due to the design of the car and undercarriage it's not feasible with the single motor drive. And no, I don't want a used Model S, thank you.

Reactions: Porfiry and DR61
Thanks for posting that Elon tweet, I had missed it! Interesting. Either Tesla changed their mind about offering towing with the Model 3 or the towing option will come later. I suspect the latter, but I could be wrong.
But then there was this.

upload_2017-10-6_20-52-41-png.252373

I cannot tell if that means tow hitch isn't standard, or tow hitch isn't available. Damn Twitter.

Why does Tesla need to add the hitch? Get one from the aftermarket and have it installed, it will almost certainly be cheaper than Tesla's insane prices for options.
Except most European countries the police will give you a solid fine ($1000) for towing with a non-certified hitch installation. They also refuse to certify it without the manufacturers blessing, which even the S has not gotten from Tesla yet.

Renting a pickup for a few hours cost no less than $150 around here. Seems like a lot of hassle for something the 3 could easily have towed a few kilometers by its own. Like picking up a refrigerator, cleaning the garden for the summer or pick up some drywall for fixing up the house.