Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Petition to add tow hitch to Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you only need it for Home Depot stuff, they usually offer a half day pickup truck rental for $20. Easier than you buying or renting a trailer for those few times you might need it.

When I buy stuff from Ikea here they offer a free trailer rental. Super offer, but useless to all us electric car owners who don't have Model X.

I just don't understand this attitude that a pickup would be better for towing, therefore no hook is needed on the Model 3. The existence of a even better towing car on the market doesn't help me if I want a Model 3. Most people just have one or two cars here, and that fits most of their needs. They don't buy a different car for each use case. Here's a popular small (petrol) car with a hook - the image is from Fiat's own home page in Denmark. They know their customers: http://www.fiat.dk/panda

panda_trailer_15092016.jpg

I really don't need Tesla to fit a hook on my Model 3, but they have to put it in the European vehicle registration so that it's legal for me to add an aftermarket hook. I queued up before the store opened to reserve one, but I won't buy a Model 3 before that happens. Luckily there's plenty of time for that, because my current estimated delivery date is Late 2018, so they have some time to get the paperwork in order.

When I buy stuff from Ikea here they offer a free trailer rental. Super offer, but useless to all us electric car owners who don't have Model X.

I just don't understand this attitude that a pickup would be better for towing, therefore no hook is needed on the Model 3. The existence of a even better towing car on the market doesn't help me if I want a Model 3. Most people just have one or two cars here, and that fits most of their needs. They don't buy a different car for each use case. Here's a popular small (petrol) car with a hook - the image is from Fiat's own home page in Denmark. They know their customers: fiat.dk - Panda

panda_trailer_15092016.jpg

I really don't need Tesla to fit a hook on my Model 3, but they have to put it in the European vehicle registration so that it's legal for me to add an aftermarket hook. I queued up before the store opened to reserve one, but I won't buy a Model 3 before that happens. Luckily there's plenty of time for that, because my current estimated delivery date is Late 2018, so they have some time to get the paperwork in order.
I agree with you completely, I start to be tired on everyone that says that it doesn’t matter that Model S and Model 3 will have a hook because you can borrow another car when you need to tow. This means that we can’t go over completely to electric car and leave combustion engine behind us wish is Tesla’s goal because electric car can’t replace many cars here in Europe. It’s that same as Tesla said they would try to reach there goal in US and never realise a pick up truck and Tesla owners would try to tell every other American that you don’t need a pick up truck even if Ford F-series is one of the most popular cars in US. I would just say, good luck.

Reactions: GSP, DR61 and KJD
you may make it work but nonetheless it still isn't the best tool for the job.
I would say that for towing a medium size trailer like an Airstream 22FB a Model X is the "best" tool for the job because it offers a very usable towing range and an incredibly comfortable driving experience while producing zero emissions and can be "fueled" with sustainable energy.

There is no other mass production vehicle on the planet that can do that. Definitely "the best" in my opinion.

I think that you need to grasp the reality that M3 is not capable of towing like an ICE pickup truck, if you need that capability maybe the M3 is not the car for you
I think the jury is still out. I towed a 2000 lb ALiner camping traliler 13,000 miles now hitting many of the high passes in the Rockies. The Volt has more than enough power to tow.

Attachments

• IMG_1768.JPG
    IMG_1768.JPG
    730.4 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_2016.JPG
    IMG_2016.JPG
    530.3 KB · Views: 57
Reactions: DR61
In America at least, people don't tow with compact sedans. I suspect the take on a tow hitch would be minuscule.
chicken and the egg.

I'd get the hitch if for no other reason to send the message to US car manufacturers that they should put the option on all US cars just like they do for the EU versions.

Why does this car have to be the Swiss Army Knife of cars? Why aren't people getting all up in arms because a Chevy Cruze can't tow?

It's a 300+ mile EV. It will be able to drive itself in the (hopefully) not too distant future.

What else are you expecting here? Is it going to make you coffee? Watch your kids? Water your lawn?

Temper your expectations, folks, it's getting ridiculous in here.

I would say that for towing a medium size trailer like an Airstream 22FB a Model X is the "best" tool for the job because it offers a very usable towing range.
On flat land I can see that. But after seeing Edmund's real world Model X camping trip towing test (in the exact locales I travel), I quickly decided to NOT wait for Tesla's pickup to replace my current ICE pickup. Low trip speed averages, range anxiety, and impractical supercharging would take all the fun out of it for me.

Reactions: dhrivnak
So as I understand the ICE world, manufacturers have been continually challenged for decades to increase fuel economy. In an effort to meet those goals they fine tune their car designs to lighten up chassis, body, suspension, HP ratings, brakes, etc. to meet the needs of moving the passengers, and some small payloads. If you look at the specs on many compact vehicles, the load of four adult passengers nearly max's out the total vehicle rate load.
So basically most US auto manufacturers aren't designing compact and midsized sedans to tow, as this requires greater strength and weight for the vehicle which is a fuel penalty for all use. Their answer to towing, is they all sell SUV's and trucks which are purpose built to have tow capacity, and have the torques, chassis, and brakes to withstand these extra loads.

We all know BEV's have great torque, but they also need the chassis, suspension, and brakes to be able to handle the demands of towing, without having to overbuild the vehicle for the minority who need to tow with a compact sedan. By putting a factory hitch on a sedan, a manufacturer warrantees that the vehicle can safely tow some capacity, and assumes product liability for same.

• Disagree
Reactions: UrsS
On flat land I can see that. But after seeing Edmund's real world Model X camping trip towing test (in the exact locales I travel), I quickly decided to NOT wait for Tesla's pickup to replace my current ICE pickup. Low trip speed averages, range anxiety, and impractical supercharging would take all the fun out of it for me.
We crossed the American and Canadian Rockies with that setup. I wouldn't even consider another tow vehicle.

Not a chance of this unless it was baked into the design.
Model Y is the Tesla answer, not botching something into the Model 3.
Lordy, they’re still in the process of getting a single model to market, with only colors and wheels as choices.

• Disagree
Reactions: DR61
So as I understand the ICE world, manufacturers have been continually challenged for decades to increase fuel economy. In an effort to meet those goals they fine tune their car designs to lighten up chassis, body, suspension, HP ratings, brakes, etc. to meet the needs of moving the passengers, and some small payloads. If you look at the specs on many compact vehicles, the load of four adult passengers nearly max's out the total vehicle rate load.
So basically most US auto manufacturers aren't designing compact and midsized sedans to tow, as this requires greater strength and weight for the vehicle which is a fuel penalty for all use. Their answer to towing, is they all sell SUV's and trucks which are purpose built to have tow capacity, and have the torques, chassis, and brakes to withstand these extra loads.

We all know BEV's have great torque, but they also need the chassis, suspension, and brakes to be able to handle the demands of towing, without having to overbuild the vehicle for the minority who need to tow with a compact sedan. By putting a factory hitch on a sedan, a manufacturer warrantees that the vehicle can safely tow some capacity, and assumes product liability for same.
Dude, when a Fiat Panda can tow a reasonable item from Ikea to home, I sure as hell expect the mother of all car companies Tesla to be able to do it. It's not that difficult.

fiat.dk - Panda