Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Petition to add tow hitch to Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks, new member here.
This has been a fun thread to read! It's amazingly consistent with all of the comments that that I saw when the Nissan LEAF first came out, and likely the Model S (but I didn't read those). I started making hitches as a hobby for the LEAF in 2011 after I made one for myself and there was lots of demand for them. Of course, many large companies got into the biz eventually.

Adding hitches to cars via existing structural mount points is a very reasonable and safe thing to do. As many have pointed out here small cars are used for towing the world over. If you don't think it's wise to do, fine, don't do it. These days the vast majority of hitch buyers only want them for bikes or cargo. I've put them on all of my cars in the last 20 years, and made most of them myself when there was nothing on the market yet.

I don't want to run afoul of the the forum rules by making this an advertisement, but I can say that I've already designed one for the 3. (Don't ask how I could do this already.) It will be available early next year and I'll post info when it is. Personally, I don't care to have the hitch receiver permanently mounted to the car and so make mine with removable receivers. I've made various iterations of this (as have others like the Ecohitch), and really love the Model X hitch (made by Oris). So this time, my hitch for the 3 will simply use the the X receiver that's available at Tesla service centers for just over $100US. What I make will just be the part bolted to the car.

You're welcome to check out my previous hitch for the LEAF if you're curious: http://tinyurl.con/QRHitch

Cheers, Bill

Hi folks, new member here.
This has been a fun thread to read! It's amazingly consistent with all of the comments that that I saw when the Nissan LEAF first came out, and likely the Model S (but I didn't read those). I started making hitches as a hobby for the LEAF in 2011 after I made one for myself and there was lots of demand for them. Of course, many large companies got into the biz eventually.

Adding hitches to cars via existing structural mount points is a very reasonable and safe thing to do. As many have pointed out here small cars are used for towing the world over. If you don't think it's wise to do, fine, don't do it. These days the vast majority of hitch buyers only want them for bikes or cargo. I've put them on all of my cars in the last 20 years, and made most of them myself when there was nothing on the market yet.

I don't want to run afoul of the the forum rules by making this an advertisement, but I can say that I've already designed one for the 3. (Don't ask how I could do this already.) It will be available early next year and I'll post info when it is. Personally, I don't care to have the hitch receiver permanently mounted to the car and so make mine with removable receivers. I've made various iterations of this (as have others like the Ecohitch), and really love the Model X hitch (made by Oris). So this time, my hitch for the 3 will simply use the the X receiver that's available at Tesla service centers for just over $100US. What I make will just be the part bolted to the car.

You're welcome to check out my previous hitch for the LEAF if you're curious: http://tinyurl.con/QRHitch

Cheers, Bill
your link is broken

The Roadster is a sportscar, I've never seen anyone tow with a Ferrari or Lambo.
Of course, there's always somebody...
IMG_6300.JPG

So really, after 9 pages, this should be a petition to the EU to allow modifications of personal vehicles.
No. In the EU it is illegal. In the US, it is a civil case where a lawyer will be able to argue that the accident you have is your fault because Tesla does not approve towing with your vehicle and you willfully modified your car to attach a trailer in spite of the safety warnings from the manufacturer. In the EU, they try to legislate against stupidity. Here, we legislate stupidly. Neither works well.

Why joke? Did you see the picture of the Ferrari towing the camper up there?^^^^^^^ I think the new Roadster will be able to tow a lot more than an Ferrari with unlimited Torque and a drivetrain/frame to support that.
Your biggest issue at that point is just lifting the rear suspension to comepensate

frame to support that.

we don't know that yet.

If there wasn't a huge leap in battery tech that would make a 200kWh pack lighter than it would be with current batteries (either 2170 or 18650 form factors), the weight needed to be lost to get this car to 60mph in 1.9 seconds has to come from somewhere. I suspect you won't want to tow with the Roadster and put unnecessary strain on the frame.

Reactions: Buook