Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Petition to add tow hitch to Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Makes sense. Probably dual motor, that also includes air suspension and tow hitch.
I do not know what difference single or dual motor makes, as long as you do not exceed the GVWR of the vehicle. The motor(s) do not know or care whether the passenger/cargo weight is all in the car or partly on a trailer, including the weight of the trailer. Of course there are other factors such as being able to help control stability that could make dual motors necessary.

I do not know what difference single or dual motor makes, as long as you do not exceed the GVWR of the vehicle. The motor(s) do not know or care whether the passenger/cargo weight is all in the car or partly on a trailer, including the weight of the trailer. Of course there are other factors such as being able to help control stability that could make dual motors necessary.
There are several things that make dual motors make sense.

1. A car that has the ability to tow needs the same weight inside the car, plus the weight of the trailer. A reasonable sized trailer is around 1500 kg. So the weight pulled will be higher. I have no idea if it's a problem, but two motors will half the duty cycle load of each motor. Cooling system ofcourse it makes no difference.

2. Its mostly normal for scandinavian people to pull trailers after sedans at the moment. These people prefer 4-wheel drive, because it's winter half the year, and it's not that easy to get stuck.

3. Elon wants to reduce alternatives and put more stuff together as packages. Especially for the model 3. Also he wants to sell more of the expensive models. For that reason there's probably the plain model short and long range. Then the awd model with air suspension and hitch, short and long range.

Elon also wants to sell more Model X. So the max trailer weight will probably be significantly lower. Possibly around 1000-1300 kg.

I would hope for a towing capability of 2,000 lbs including the trailer. The Model 3 weighs 3800 lbs. Again, if GVWR is not exceeded it should not be a strain on the power train. I believe that your thought of packaging the tow package with dual motors and air suspension makes sense for Tesla making more profit.

9AD34F27-4FF0-4775-A658-447EF24CA46C.jpeg
In America at least, people don't tow with compact sedans. I suspect the take on a tow hitch would be minuscule.
I beg to differ and pulled a trailer over 13,000 miles with my Volt. Plenty of power.

Most of the cars in the netherlands have a tow hitch. And i need 1 on every car i have.
Most of the rides i make with a trailer is less than 100km (60 miles).
So I'm still waiting on some details.
but I'm afraid that the towhitch is something for the Model X and Y.
But i have still some hopes more details will be shared when the Dual motor details are anounced somewhere in March.

I feel that we need to start a push to express our desire for a tow hitch on Model 3 so that it makes it to production soon.

Having a tow hitch largely removes the need for an ICE pickup truck since you can accomplish 90% of the tasks with a $1000 utility trailer.

It is such a glaring oversight.

I am interested in a tow hitch as well for my bike rack. I live in NC. If anyone in or near Tempe AZ wants a free U-Haul hitch with unlimited warranty, see below:

Tesla Model 3 Long Range Rear Wheel Drive

Your vehicle requires a custom-built hitch
Custom-built hitch
If U-Haul doesn't have a hitch for your vehicle, nobody does!

Your vehicle requires a custom-built hitch which we will gladly fabricate for you. If you are able to bring your vehicle to our Tempe, AZ Research & Development facility we'll provide you with a free U-Haul custom trailer hitch, including free installation, and a lifetime unlimited warranty in exchange for the use of your vehicle to fabricate the trailer hitch. We'll need the vehicle for two to three days. If you are interested in this offer please complete the form below and we'll contact you to schedule your appointment. This offer is only valid until one customer per vehicle can fulfill our requirements.