Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Petition to demand "camera on top, media player on bottom" be retained in UI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Almost crashed this morning just trying to flick the camera view up to the Top.

I really feel blinded not have the rear view where it has been for 6 years. And not being to switch between my favorite stations with the touch of a single button. And the icons are awful. I guess it will take some getting used to. But really it means more time with my eyes away from the road to switch to media choose a podcast and the turn the camera back on.

Really someone will get damaged by this change.

Count me in
Victor
Signature S00127

I read this as the OP has v9 and was trying to mess with the camera app and almost crashed doing so. Was that incorrect?

@SpudLime , He configured his center console with the camera at the top 6-years ago. It has always been there, where he prefers it, because he is a safe driver and glances at it before changing lanes. Unfortunately, it went away with the recent v9 installation and he was attempting to put it back where he prefers it.

Come back when you have v9 and maybe you'll understand his dilemma.

@SpudLime , He configured his center console with the camera at the top 6-years ago. It has always been there, where he prefers it, because he is a safe driver and glances at it before changing lanes. Unfortunately, it went away with the recent v9 installation and he was attempting to put it back where he prefers it.

Come back when you have v9 and maybe you'll understand his dilemma.

I think you are changing the narrative of the OP to fit your opinion. But ok.

nothing - if one's thinking is so narrow that they can't conceptualize that every owner sees out the side & rear view mirror differently
- whereas the "up top" camera is the best alternative to rear view blind spots. sorry that's so inconceivable.
Apparently true. WE have markers on the garage floor that require the reverse camera guide lines to cross that threshold. Bam no longer accurate as the garage door detects the nose of the car protruding into the path of the garage door as it attempts to close, then immediately auto reverses back up.

is there anyone who's owned a Tesla for more than 12 months that hasn't gotten different 'truth' replies from each & every SC in their state - once they ask any question.
"A dozen or so" - really?
The local SC told us just today (in a rather low voice so his co-workers couldn't hear him) yea, we're averaging around 80 complaints from every SC in the state - every day.
but if any single SC employee's story works for someone ... sure, go with that, if it make for happiness.

The FIRST story we got? On Monday?
"NO - it's impossible to roll back".
Really? So, you don't know that some of the pro Tesla hackers make copies of each & every update? And roll back as needed?
(ooops - time for a new 'truth') oh, er - well ... tesla no longer supports Version 8, so it's not possible - that's what i meant to say.
right.

Some of the talent on this board that has copied & does roll backs ought to make a couple hundred dollar$$ for the 30 minutes or so necessary to undo this mess .... you know .... for the 15 people that have complained (excuse me, 'whined') about it.
I don't know what "roll back" means exactly in technical terms, but it's pretty certain they still possess the code for v. 8 and could use it as an "update" for anyone who wants it back. No?

Reactions: AnxietyRanger
If, when we were originally looking at the car, the salesperson had pointed at the screen and said, "And this is a giant map onto which you can partially overlay other apps by pushing one or two buttons down here at the very bottom...oh, and you can use the rear-facing camera whenever you want, but since you can only use one non-map app at a time, and it's stuck down here on the floor away from your view out the windshield, you probably will only use the when backing up..." we'd have run screaming out the door and bought another Volt.

I don't know what "roll back" means exactly in technical terms, but it's pretty certain they still possess the code for v. 8 and could use it as an "update" for anyone who wants it back. No?

The short technical answer is when you roll out an update, a responsible IT org would have the abort or "roll back" option built in so that it can revert back to its original code base in case the update doesnt go well.

They have this, Teslafi was showing all of the initial Model 3 owners that had v9 were being rolled back to v8. It's a shame they don't put a user accessible option to roll back to the v8 feature upgrade.

You're trying very hard to make excuses for Tesla's removal of dual app support. They don't need you to be their white knight and telling people they used their car the wrong way isn't helpful.

Last edited:
They have this, Teslafi was showing all of the initial Model 3 owners that had v9 were being rolled back to v8. It's a shame they don't put a user accessible option to roll back to the v8 feature upgrade.

You're trying very hard to make excuses for Tesla's removal of dual app support. They don't need you to be their white knight and telling people they used their car the wrong way isn't helpful.

I was answering the posters question about what a "roll back" is.

The point of a forum is for discourse. That means you wont get everyone agreeing with your opinion and points of view.

• Disagree
Reactions: GreenT

He may have been a safe driver but he became an unsafe driver the second he started messing with a unfamiliar UI while driving. The time for figuring out how the interface works and getting things setup like you want is before you start driving.

• Love
Reactions: GreenT and SpudLime
The point of a forum is for discourse. That means you wont get everyone agreeing with your opinion and points of view.
This is insightful, and something that I hope may help you cease disagreeing with everyone else's point of view.

Could @SpudLime 's whack-a-mole-like tenacity across so may threads disagreeing with people who prefer the flexibility of a proper any-2-app view on the 17" screen have something to do with being on the line for a bunch of beers? just sayin' ;)
(it's way more than "a dozen or so" people, btw)

If you guys can get them to change their mind, more power to ya. I’d buy ya a beer and say congrats on your effort.

Could @SpudLime 's whack-a-mole-like tenacity across so may threads disagreeing with people who prefer the flexibility of a proper any-2-app view on the 17" screen have something to do with being on the line for a bunch of beers? just sayin' ;)

If you guys wouldn’t create so many repetitive threads I’d have less to disagree with.;)

While I disagree with @SpudLime, I’d love to have a beer with him. Just because I disagree with someone doesn’t mean they are bad, just wrong:D.

PS, I like beer.

This sounds more like you are an unsafe driver to begin with. If you were a safe driver, you would have clicked the camera app when it was more safe to do so and not be distracted.

riiiight, "excuse me, hi. you passed me really fast just now, can you back up and do that again so I can change my app back to camera so I know your coming? I forgot to put my camera back on. I can't see very well behind me cause the mirror is small, the hatchback is at an sharp angle and there are three headrests in the way. That would be greaaat. thank you.

Really. it is an issue.
Camera is NOT an app. It is a safety feature.