Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Petition to demand "camera on top, media player on bottom" be retained in UI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where versus how. I buy an airline ticket. I don't file a flight plan.
When I fly New York to Tokyo, I probably (I never actually look) go over northern Alaska and the Kamchatka Peninsula. It never strikes me odd that the pilot never asks me if it's OK about routing options. Likewise, FSD (which I will trust to not put me in a fatal accident) should easily be able to pick a "good enough" route without me having to study route, distance, projected traffic, construction, expected delays, etc.
I don't mean to be a jerk about this, but I'm really confused as to why FSD promotes the use of Nav and maps instead of deprecating it.

I think that's the wrong analogy. You're not a paying passenger in this instance, you're the pilot. It is your job to setup the vehicle to take you to your destination. You need an interface to tell the vehicle where you want to go, and potentially have some input on the route it selects (for instance, if there are Tolled and Toll-free options), speed restrictions, etc.

If you don't think you're the pilot, who do you think gets a ticket if a FSD vehicle commits a moving violation?

The map becomes a primary interface between the "driver" and the FSD vehicle, just as the Autopilot (including Auto-land functionality in many aircraft) is a primary interface between pilot and aircraft.

I agree with most comments that they should allow the driver to chose whatever 2 apps they want running on the main screen.

Overall I like the new UI except for this inability to decide what I want on the screen at a given time.

They could simply add a small 'pin' icon to the top or bottom corner of the 'app' windows. Dragging up from the launcher would 'magnetly snap' them into 1/2 or 3/4 screen quadrants. Tapping the pin would keep it there until toggled off (or swiped down).

• Love
Reactions: neroden
I think that's the wrong analogy. You're not a paying passenger in this instance, you're the pilot. It is your job to setup the vehicle to take you to your destination. You need an interface to tell the vehicle where you want to go, and potentially have some input on the route it selects (for instance, if there are Tolled and Toll-free options), speed restrictions, etc.

If you don't think you're the pilot, who do you think gets a ticket if a FSD vehicle commits a moving violation?

The map becomes a primary interface between the "driver" and the FSD vehicle, just as the Autopilot (including Auto-land functionality in many aircraft) is a primary interface between pilot and aircraft.
What you're describing sounds like some kind of piloting ability. An Auto-pilot ability, if you will. In fact, some kind of Enhanced Auto Pilot ability (EAP). Something that could be differentiated from a full self driving ability (FSD) in both product description, cost, and NHTSA definition. :)

Under FSD, which is what the UI team was purportedly aiming for, I would indeed expect the manufacturer to step up and accept liability.
EDIT & PS: That sounded more snide than I intended. I blame the IPA's. And to the point of the navigation stuff and piloting: Let's have waypoints first..

Last edited:
Reactions: tizio and RayW
With v8 you could display the map at the top while the car drives, or display anything else you prefer. Everyone got what they wanted.

Do you understand the discontent with v9 now?

Btw - for the “I like to watch where the car’s driving me” people, the MS/X has a really cool map in the instrument console. Kinda makes that grey-scale utilitarian thing hogging the center console seem out of date.

Last edited:
Where versus how. I buy an airline ticket. I don't file a flight plan.
When I fly New York to Tokyo, I probably (I never actually look) go over northern Alaska and the Kamchatka Peninsula. It never strikes me odd that the pilot never asks me if it's OK about routing options. Likewise, FSD (which I will trust to not put me in a fatal accident) should easily be able to pick a "good enough" route without me having to study route, distance, projected traffic, construction, expected delays, etc.
I don't mean to be a jerk about this, but I'm really confused as to why FSD promotes the use of Nav and maps instead of deprecating it.

I honestly thinking people talking about FSD are just making excuses for a bad UI decision that many customers do not like. You take any bad decision and there will always be some who justify it.

This has nothing to do with FSD. The driver should be able to pick any two apps they want running in whatever order they choose.

For example, if you are on the way to pick up someone from the air port, maybe you want a browser window open showing the flight details and the rear view camera. And when you reach the airport you need just the map and the rear view camera. The US should adapt with the driver's needs..

The driver should be able to select which apps and the order in which they appear without having that order dictated to them.

Being able to have the rear view camera at the top of the display has always been one of my favorite features with the Tesla UI.

I honestly thinking people talking about FSD are just making excuses for a bad UI decision that many customers do not like. You take any bad decision and there will always be some who justify it.

I agree, the whole point of FSD is so you don't need to be involved in driving at all. (The map doesn't need to be on the screen, it's not like the AP computer needs a camera pointed at the screen to know where it needs to turn.) So you could do other things like watch Netflix full screen on the IC, while your passengers watch something else like YouTube on the MCU. (Sound could be an issue, but maybe the HW3 AP computer will be able to link to multiple BT headsets. :rolleyes:) Or you can work on your masterpiece in Tesla Paint... Or turn off all the screens so that everyone can sleep in the dark while FSD drives you to your far-away destination.

If FSD has a problem, or question, in can pop-up and interrupt you.

Why do you need a full screen map to input an address or destination? Or for that matter, to choose a route? When I use Waze, it presents alternate routes with delays and estimated arrival times, etc, all without using a map.

Ok, so in the few instances a FSD passenger wants to select the destination from a map, pop up a map! But then for the duration of the trip, no map is needed.

Reactions: yodrak
Found where the v9 team got their inspiration
detroit_auto_show_2018_dodge_ram_5695.jpg

The Ram 1500 :eek:

Tesla finally contacted me back today via email, they said.... "We do apologize for the delay in reaching out to you. We see that you had this concern resolved?"o_Oo_Oo_O

12 days of waiting to put me back in the que again... o_Oo_O guess what, I'm going to escalate my concern again! Amazing customer service and communication as always o_O thanks tesla o_O

I agree entirely and count me in on any petition. I rarely use Nav and when I do only to check traffic. Always have map on top for checking blind spots. Tesla needs to promptly post a fix. Not convinced they will so in the meantime, does anyone know if it's possible to uninstall v.9 and revert to v.8?

Got my S in September 2017. Never considered checking online before doing an update. WISH I had, because I would never have downgraded my car this way. The day I got the "upgrade" o_O after driving the car to the office, I jumped on the forums to figure out how to get my camera back on top and turn off this idiotic nav I rarely use and discovered.. NOPE.

Well.. this is just software, so OBVIOUSLY I can call in, set an appointment and get it put back to the previous version. They have done this before on my car when it shut down completely after an upgrade and wouldn't start. (Towed it to the service center and they had to go back to the previous software version to get the car to boot). Spent 2 hours on hold with tech support. Person picked up and said they are getting FLOODED with calls. "Every other call is someone unhappy with Version 9". They told me they didn't THINK it was possible but set an appointment at the service center. "Of course it is possible", I tell them. So they set the appointment.

Go to service appointment and am told "No we can't." Try to remind them they have done this before on this car. They apologize over and over and explain they don't like version9 either and have sent many requests up the chain, but they can't do anything right now.

Get a call from Tesla the next morning (yesterday) telling me "they are working the issues" and please give them a week to a couple of months for the engineers to work on something. I explain this has been going on since October 6th (which I only found out after going on message boards to find out how to fix my broken car) and to delay this long when owners are this upset is unacceptable. They keep thanking me for my loyalty and asking for my patience. Sorry, when you break my car this way I have no patience. It's very simple. Set an appointment at the service center, put my car BACK to version 8 and then when you have a new release, I will then consider it.

Or maybe I can just return the car for a refund?
upload_2018-10-19_8-49-56.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-19_8-49-37.png
    upload_2018-10-19_8-49-37.png
    44 KB · Views: 56