Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Petition to demand "camera on top, media player on bottom" be retained in UI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe it's just me, but who actually uses the phone app on the MCU screen? (I think I've used it once).

I've used it. From pictures, the new icon is stupid and the label nonsensical, but I've used it. For example, some names simply don't work well with "call XYZ." Also, I have yet to figure out how to navigate to someone other than to pull them up in the phone app and tap the address. (I must be missing something.) (Note: I'm not on v9 yet; maybe it finally has "navigate to [name from my address book]"??? Still, some names don't work well with voice command via Tesla or Siri.)

This may be a case of "be careful what you ask for, as you may just get it." (Look at the title of this thread.)

We are getting more than we asked for, but not really what people wanted. And then there was the petition:

You will notice that Tesla is actually doing what was asked for in the petition that ~500 people signed. (Browser wasn't mentioned.) Well, actually Tesla included the Phone app that wasn't requested...

o.m.g. They can't be that stupid. They can't really only be reading titles and summaries and not actual feedback. And anyway, no one said "allow X but prevent me from doing Y" . . . I mean they had to do extra work to make only some apps work. Lordy. o_O

Reactions: kavyboy
Hopefully Tesla will add the browser to the list that can be at the top, and that anything, including Nav, can be on the bottom not just the media player.

But do we need to coordinate another petition that makes the request exactly what is desired? (Is this a quick stop-gap with more planned, or is this all they planned on doing?)
The whole media player has been a stop-gap for 5 years. I would expect Tesla to assume that by giving us the camera on the top, they see the matter as resolved.....

Reactions: kavyboy
The really real solution here is as follows:
1. Open up an active dialog between EAP (early access program) software users; ie. beta testers, and EAP staff. The whole thing is currently a one-way street AND it's less about, "Hey, we want your ideas" and all about "Hey, let us know if this new thing we did breaks anything."
2. Force non-AP software devs to drive Tesla vehicles every day, to and from work, as well as on the weekends.
3. Release a damn SDK for infotainment already. License it for a fee if you want (TMC could pool together a couple bucks for a team of forum users to have a field day). Then vet each entry until we have robust app store to make the car actually do what we want, rather than what Tesla thinks we want or thinks we need. In the beginning you'll see a lot of dumb ideas get developed then quickly thrown aside, as they should be, leaving room for the truly good ones to remain and enrich our lives.

• Love
Reactions: autarch and kavyboy
Anyway, if anyone updates, please post photos or preferably video like someone posted a while back! I actually wonder if it's just being very poorly communicated. I mean they really had to do extra work to make it only work with certain apps and only if you make sure to open Media Player first; why would they do that? Did they really?

Here are the photos that I have found:

1es4fa.jpg

3322xc9.jpg

34gq4as.jpg

They said they forgot to take a picture of the Calendar app...

1es4fa.jpg

3322xc9.jpg

34gq4as.jpg

I. Don't. Want. NAV. Up. All. The. Time.

99% of every single person's daily driving is to places THEY ALREADY KNOW HOW TO GET TO!!! What an absolute waste of resources. Now, if NAV showed Waze, POI, or alternate highlighted routes based on consumption, THEN MAYBE it might make sense.

They can't really only be reading titles and summaries and not actual feedback.

Why would they read more than the petition people were signing? ;) (That is how things tend to work in IT, you request X you get X. It doesn't matter if you talked about Y, or wanted Z, if it isn't in the specs it isn't on the table.)

@neroden should be happy, since he will be getting exactly what he asked for: "camera on top, media player on bottom".

• Disagree
Reactions: 3mp_kwh

Thanks! This was someone who upgraded? Hey do you know if you can put music on top and something else on the bottom? I frequently go Music/Energy instead of X/Music.

Anyway, the apps in question are . . . well, near the top of the screen and clearly 2 up (even if one is Music), which is lot better than before. Now they need to #1 remove the silly restrictions they worked extra to implement (preventing it working with any app) and #2 make it fully at the top and #3 preferably not waste rendering cycles and screen space on a couple of inches of useless map around the edges. Seriously, if I have 2 apps up, clearly I don't need or want a map peeking around the 2 apps, distracting me. It's quite silly. We'll have to drag them, kicking and screaming, into sanity. ;)

It's like they're afraid if the maps are not visible 100% of the time, we'll . . . forget they're there? Forget how to use them? The mind boggles at why anyone would think a couple of inches of map would be useful. :p

Thanks! This was someone who upgraded? Hey do you know if you can put music on top and something else on the bottom? I frequently go Music/Energy instead of X/Music.

My understanding is that media player has to be on the bottom just like the release notes say. TeslaFi shows 6 cars (only one Model 3) on 2018.42.1, so I hope we get some more people testing and sharing details.

My understanding is that media player has to be on the bottom just like the release notes say. TeslaFi shows 6 cars (only one Model 3) on 2018.42.1, so I hope we get some more people testing and sharing details.

Gotcha, thanks. I think the thing about being able to drag to a desired position confused me and I spaced on the details, and just confused myself.

Hey anyone who's already updated, if you get another update . . . take it, please! :D

I agree and do not like that these features were broken in V9:
- no more two windows of your choosing
- no more placement of windows of your choosing
- no more menu at top of screen, bottom menu on vertical screen makes no sense and more unsafe
-

Add to your list

- No more having the media player return to the view that you had after an ignition cycle

- no more operating the HVAC blower on high speed without the system defaulting to recirculating.

My most common driving configuration is Camera on top, Media player on bottom. I'm not thrilled with the solution, but it sounds like it will work for me. I have not yet installed V9, so I will wait until 2018.42 goes to broader release.

(Will 2018.42 get pushed to me if I'm still running V8, or do I need to at some point upgrade to V9 and then await the .42 release?)

Reactions: supratachophobia
Why would they read more than the petition people were signing? ;) (That is how things tend to work in IT, you request X you get X. It doesn't matter if you talked about Y, or wanted Z, if it isn't in the specs it isn't on the table.)

@neroden should be happy, since he will be getting exactly what he asked for: "camera on top, media player on bottom".
This is true. It's like those fables where you get three wishes that all come true, but with disastrous side effects. You get... exactly what you asked for! That being said, as a programmer, I virtually always start out a new change request with a discussion. Users often don't have well-formed ideas of what they actually want. That's not condescension - it's a deceptively difficult job to figure out. Since Tesla really fails at interactive customer communication, well, you can't expect too much.

• Love
Reactions: HankLloydRight